• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice please if choice of direct or via agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please if choice of direct or via agent

Seen a contract role that you can apply direct (company website) or through an agent.

My first reaction was to go direct, but an agent could be useful.

This is a long term role (12months+)

Advice appreciated!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

personally I'd always go direct if I can

Comment

My last client did this but the website content is managed by their on site presence so you would still be apply through the agent. I've also heard of people approaching clients direct for gigs and then just being pointed at the agent.

It is extremely unusual for a client to have both options available. They use agents to do away with that side of the work so why on earth would they bother doing it as well? There are exceptions of course.

So my money is whatever you do you'll end up with the agent. Shouldn't be hard to work out what the situation is. If it is as I suspect I'd rather go straight to the agent so cutting out another link of the chain.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have seen this with M0rganStanley and Bl0omberg. They advertise on job sites directly and also accept applications through agencies. Seen this with Cubic also (client advertised perm role, agency advertised for both perm and contract).

Comment

Quite often the client will simply arrange the contract through their preferred agent. You might get better conditions though.

If you end up direct, the client will want a discount because there is no agent involved and as a contractor you'll just end up with the hassle of chasing invoices. In other words don't assume because there is no agent you get the agent's margin as well.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Quite often the client will simply arrange the contract through their preferred agent. You might get better conditions though.

If you end up direct, the client will want a discount because there is no agent involved and as a contractor you'll just end up with the hassle of chasing invoices. In other words don't assume because there is no agent you get the agent's margin as well.
            I assume the contract terms and conditions will more or less be same for both the scenarios. Is there anything specific to look for in the terms and conditions in case of direct engagement ?

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
              I assume the contract terms and conditions will more or less be same for both the scenarios. Is there anything specific to look for in the terms and conditions in case of direct engagement ?
              Agents will pay on time, whereas clients will deliberately wait until you've sent several reminders before paying. It's part of the strategy of reducing working capital.

The whole raison d'etre of an agent is to smooth out this process often by paying the contractor before they've been paid. Obviously it's more efficient as they are sending an invoice for a lot of contractors so they've a little more clout.

As an individual contractor your pleas to get paid will probably go unheeded for a while.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by raphal View Post
                Payment terms will differ.

If you go through an agency you can negotiate so they can pay quicker. If you go direct it's much harder to do this as even if the person in the client sorting out the contracta agrees, their finance department won't.

With one large client I was direct with the finance department were consistently not paying on time and elsewhere in the country, so I had to be paid by cheque by one of the directors.

Oh and if you apply direct, make sure there are no opt-out clauses and the handcuff clauses make sense.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Also, if the travel and subsistence rules are applied as proposed, going via an agency will mean that you won't be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    Also, if the travel and subsistence rules are applied as proposed, going via an agency will mean that you won't be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses.
                    'Fraid not. It's not related to whether you use an agency or not. The proposal is that if you are subject to any one of Supervision, Direction or Control then you can't claim. Going direct makes no differance.

The only exception is for what they see as large consultancies who main business is not in the supply of labour. They regard your Ltd. Co. as primarily existing in order to supply your labour to end clients.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X