• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract extension referring to 'New' legislation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract extension referring to 'New' legislation.

I've just had my contract extension through and been advised by the agency to check a particular clause that has changed. It constantly mentions 'new legislation', which is an extremely vague term, and doesn't point me towards what the legislation is.

This legislation, whatever it is, won't be new forever and newer legislation will come along, of a completely different nature.

EG: "The consulting company will indemnify the agency if agency or their directors suffer loss due to a breach of the new legislation"

It's like me leaving all the money in my will to my yougest child. My daughter would be set for life. Unless another one came along.

You don't have to sign it off.
    Just ask them to change it, clause sounds a load of cr*p, in any case.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      You don't have to sign it off.
      Just ask them to change it, clause sounds a load of cr*p, in any case.
      A simple call could fix all this. It could be the new agency reporting requirements which we, on the whole, are happy with.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 23 September 2015, 16:06.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

this "New Legislation" seems to be a marketing tool

had a cold call from some company yesterday offering to increase my take home pay as i would be losing 10% due to the "New Legislation" i queried what legislation they were referring but girl on the phone didn't really know and tried to pass me onto the "tax advisor" but he had gone home for the day

suspect they were pitching some form of an offshore loan scheme

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          A simple call could fix all this. It could be the new agency reporting requirements which we, on the whole, are happy with.
          You could well be correct. My issue is the clause is badly written, open ended and could be interpreted in any way.

Would totally agree an initial phone call is best.

I recently refused to sign an additional amendment, to my current contract, as the new terms did not reflect the way I worked.
          The amendments were also bad for IR35 (30 days notice to book "holiday", anyone?!).

A call to the agent resolved this, he said "just don't sign it" .
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
          X