• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sausage Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Etiquette

I had some sausages for me tea last night, the missus was out for a works curry, and it occurred to me that although I know a lot about sausage making, some on here may not.

There some secrets as well as some 'good form', and I will end with some examples of sausage faux pas, including appropriate sausage language.

The first secret is that this is a mans job. It takes forty minutes to fry a sausage, thats ten minutes on each side. Yes! you heard it here first, a sausage has four sides.
    Now we all know that there are two natural sides, but with the help of a halved tomato the convex side can be arranged, then with the spatula and a bit of force, the concave side.
    The heat must be turned very low, obv, to avoid sausage-burn.
    The second secret is scissors. It's important to separate the sausages and the cleanest way to do this is with a dinky pair of scissors.

When cooking a sausage it's vital to gauge the fat content before, during and after. It's tough on your guests if they cut into, or heaven forbid, take a bite of a sausage that explodes and sprays fat in all directions. It's possible to let the right amount of fat out, by piercing the skin in the right place.
    If you find the sausage too dry after cooking, never fear. Throw a bit of ketchup, mustard, chille or pickle on, and that will bring back a little moisture.

Finally, don't be casual with the language because sausage making is a serious art. Using schoolboy humour might get a cheap laugh, but this will undermine a great institution , so don't do it. e.g. Don't tell the missus you have a 'giant saus ' for her tonight
    don't tell her the tea is nearly ready but it just needs a little prick.
    you get the idea
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Someone should invent a miniature clockwork sausage spit you can wind up, then fit a sausage it on like a corn on the cob, so it slowly rotates under a grill or even in a frying pan.

Or you could have several parallel spits in a frame like an abacus, each rotating. That way the clockwork could be kept out of the heat and fat, and could drive the rotation via a long shaft.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

One of your wurst posts.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Someone should invent a miniature clockwork sausage spit you can wind up, then fit a sausage it on like a corn on the cob, so it slowly rotates under a grill or even in a frying pan.

Or you could have several parallel spits in a frame like an abacus, each rotating. That way the clockwork could be kept out of the heat and fat, and could drive the rotation via a long shaft.
        Sausage, long shaft you are depraved!

Disgusted of Tunbridge wells.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          One of your wurst posts.

me mum used to make her sausies with lots of breadcrumbs. We were so poor, it was difficult to make both ends meet
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Sausage, long shaft you are depraved!

Disgusted of Tunbridge wells.
            Darn. I expected EO to pick up on that first.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Poach then fry keeps them straight. Reduce the liquor to make the gravy.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

For my son's wedding, the caterers used a machine with rotating skewers on a chain driven belt. You loaded the sausages at the top, and by the time it reached the bottom they was perfectly cooked. It was electric, not clockwork.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not so much of a sausage and more of a chipolata?

Comment

Darn. I expected EO to pick up on that first.
                    you missed spit roast, Prick and a few others
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X