• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do a U-turn on tax credits, George Osborne – or you’ll never be prime minister

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do a U-turn on tax credits, George Osborne – or you’ll never be prime minister

"The Chancellor must listen to the tearful working mother on last night’s Question Time – not just for her sake, but for his

The woman in the Question Time audience was close to tears. She’d voted Tory in May because she believed David Cameron when he said there’d be no cuts to tax credits for low-paid workers like her.

Now she didn’t know how she was going to cope.

Recently I was telling a Government minister’s special adviser that the cuts to tax credits would be a disaster not only for low-paid workers, but for the Tories.

“Stop it,” she said, after I’d been banging on about it for some time. “You’re making me anxious.”

She should be anxious. And so should George Osborne.

Because if he doesn’t do a U-turn on this soon, he’ll never be prime minister. He’ll be as despised as he was that night in the Olympic Stadium, back in the summer of 2012. The cheers he deservedly won for raising the minimum wage will be forgotten.

The Chancellor will present his Autumn Statement on November 25. That gives him just under six weeks to find a way to water down his plans so that no low-paid worker ends up with an effective pay cut. "

Source: Do a U-turn on tax credits, George Osborne – or you’ll never be prime minister - Telegraph

Tories only won the election because of the grand deception - I'd say it should be overturned on the ground of fraud by politicians...

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    whine whine whine
    Why should anyone listen to to what one person has to say? Of the people who decide each election(there are a couple of million floating voters - most are Tory/Labour by default) no-one will care what someone on low pay will think.

Anyway - would Mich?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Why should anyone listen to to what one person has to say? Of the people who decide each election(there are a couple of million floating voters - most are Tory/Labour by default) no-one will care what someone on low pay will think.
        It's not just one person though the Tories are targeting everyone who works.

Some people won't realised they were targeted until they lose their "stable" well paying job and go down to the job centre.

We've are being targeted with the dividend tax, end of T&S and now a more screwed up version of IR35.

If you are low paid you have been targeted in multiple ways. If you are forced to be self employed you've lost your tax credits and will soon lose your T&S.

The only group they haven't purposely started on yet are OAPs. Unfortunately not all OAPs are selffish and stupid. Some are paying or will be paying the cost of the cuts the Tories have imposed on younger generations in their family.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Single mum - check

Plenty of kids - check

Totally reliant on benefits and thinks tax credits is her income - Check

Looks pig ugly and watches Jeremy Kyle all day - check

What absolute tosh, she is a typical life long Labour voter and I suspect she was planted in there by Labour.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            What absolute tosh, she is a typical life long Labour voter and I suspect she was planted in there by Labour.
            ^This +1

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              ^This +1
              I wouldn't put it past them.

She is supposedly running a nail bar at home and failing to make a profit. I'm not an expert but I understand that its about £10 -> 20 for 30 min session and the tools of the trade are <£100 so not sure why she isn't making a profit.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The only group they haven't purposely started on yet are OAPs.
                There are legions of silver boomers round here, legions. The majority have:

Cars - and bus passes
                Large houses - and heating allowance
                Final salary pensions - and triple locked state pension

Cameron was a tw@t when he said he was leaving them, and a double tw@t when he did it again.

If we all have to pay (I am not against this concept) then OAPs need to clean it up too.

But the 1%er's and the big corporates who avoid tax to the extreme. They REALLY need to pay up.

But they are all in the Tory public old boy lodge network. An THAT is the real scandal.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  I wouldn't put it past them.

She is supposedly running a nail bar at home and failing to make a profit. I'm not an expert but I understand that its about £10 -> 20 for 30 min session and the tools of the trade are <£100 so not sure why she isn't making a profit.
                  Maybe she has a Facebook franchise and sells Starbucks?
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

They are soon going to increase the state pension age. I am sure the latest time the government can announce this is around the same they announce the EU referendum.

This means that the age you get a free bus pass etc also goes up.

The free bus pass comes out of local authority spending. There is an argument for having it as it helps to limit the number of dangerous older drivers on the road.

The winter fuel allowance was a short term bribe from the Labour party that went wrong.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X