• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the WiFi adapter for a Sky+ box anything special?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the WiFi adapter for a Sky+ box anything special?

Our TV is on the wrong side of the room from the phone point and router. Sky gave us a free Wifi->Ethernet adapter as their box was ethernet only.

Now we're moving to BT and have the cheapo TV box which also is ethernet only (why don't they build in WiFi as standard?!)
    I wondered if the Sky adapter is anything bespoke to Sky, or is just a generic adapter that would work with anything using ethernet?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Is the Sky adaptor USB (if not, how does it connect to the box?)

As for TVs, yes most now do come with wifi as standard. A few years ago you paid about £50 extra for it compared with RJ-45.

...but it's worth noting that if you have a lot of wireless devices connected to the same router your TV signal when watching iPlayer, etc may stutter, so if you can do it with a cable, that's a better option.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

How do you setup the WiFi on the adapter?

Try it and see. If it doesn't work get some homeplugs.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The adapter is a little WiFi receiver with an ethernet-out, so you can plug an ethernet cable into your box which doesn't support WiFi.

Homeplug would work, we already use that actually otherwise it would be an expensive option. Although I need to check we don't max out the available channels and it seems a bit crazy to use homeplug to send internet from one side of the room to the other

Other option is just buy a 10m ethernet cable but I fear it would look messy.

Comment

Plug it into a PC or laptop via ethernet. If that works then you know that it'll work with anything.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

How to hack your Sky Wireless connector.

Hacking the Sky Wireless Connector | Blog | Chris Harvey

tl;dr

Plug it onto a laptop or PC and :

URL: http://169.254.4.84/
            Username: admin
            Password: sky
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Neat, I shall have a play. Thankyou.

Comment

Update: since I was previously using this for Sky, and kept the same WiFi name/password with the new router, this just worked when I plugged it into my YouView box... i.e. it does seem to be an entirely generic WiFi->ethernet adapter.

Which is sweet.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X