• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduced payment from agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduced payment from agency

Dear All,

Just looking for some advice: I've had a role go belly up on me (different role to one agreed), but had worked for half a day before the whole situation unfolded. I've billed the agency, but after initially agreeing to pay my invoice they've backtracked and only offered to pay half my invoice - as they've said they won't be paid by the client - and that we should share the risk. There's a bit of vagueness in the role on the contract vs the role I accepted (emails with agency back up the role I accepted). I've opted in, so I understand that technically they should pay me. However, given that it's only around £100 or so, I'm wondering if it's worth it - given that I'd probably have to go through Small Claims.

Any advice / experience on this type of situation much appreciated!

£100 .

Not worth it. Get the half that they will pay you without fuss and forget about it.

Comment

Seems fair enough...

Just out of interest how did the half day play out? Did this not become apparent at the interview or did it change between that and you starting?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you had a signed contract and a signed timesheet, you'd be entitled to whatever's been signed off on the timesheet. Without a timesheet signed, suck it up and move on for that sort of amount.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Only found out after I'd started: quite a surprise!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Seems fair enough...

Just out of interest how did the half day play out? Did this not become apparent at the interview or did it change between that and you starting?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Signed contract, timesheet not signed but opted-in, so I know I'm entitled to claim for the money - however, in the grand scheme of things, I know it's probably not worth the effort. I'm just irked by the principle of it: if you do the work (to the agreed quality), you should get paid. Bit of a messy situation, so I don't want to post all the details on a public forum - but would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had to deal with a similar situation. (Happy to PM if anyone really wants to know the gory details though.)

Comment

northernladuk: in reply to your question (as it doesn't seem to have popped up yet) - I didn't know until after I'd started.

Comment

I'd take the part payment and right the rest off as bad debt and move on.

Not really worth pursuing, you could make more from your time working another contract than chasing payment for a half day.

Comment

Originally posted by 6squid View Post
                  northernladuk: in reply to your question (as it doesn't seem to have popped up yet) - I didn't know until after I'd started.
                  So you turned up on site and they said actually the role is going to be this not this? And it was COMPLETELY different?

So you stayed for a bit and then told them you weren't interested?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I'd get on the phone to IPSE and see about claiming under their insurance.

Assuming you're an IPSE+ member, of course.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X