• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving mid-contract - thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving mid-contract - thoughts

hi all,

I know the general consensus around here for leaving mid-contract is that it is wrong, unprofessional and you just shouldn't do it but i'd like to explain my current circumstances and see if people still agree

I'm currently in a 6 month contract, this is a renewal so approx 8 months with the firm
    When renewal approached, they tried to get me to join as perm (for now, lets leave aside all IR35 discussions for the purpose of this post), I declined
    They tried to play hardball but i refused to move and then they eventually said they would offer me a contract, but if they can find a perm, they will hire them, get me to do a handover and then let me go.........when it came around to renewing my contract, they were a week late in doing it and i worked that week for them, with no contract (I know i shouldn't have but I did as a goodwill gesture)

now a situation has come up for a role for me that would be better for my long term career goals, better rate, etc! (current client co is pretty niche so i'm not worried about harming my reputation with them)

is it still bad form to leave? essentially they have told me that once they get a better deal, they'll tell me to jog on, which is now essentially what i am saying to them (it's been handled very poorly on their side IMO, they shouldn't have said anything to me)

But you are always going to have to jog on at some point. That's why we are flexible workers. Everyone of us with a notice period and are a slave to how much work the client has so we are all technically in that situation. Not really a valid reason to bail in itself.

How long is your notice period?

You accepted the contract on the terms they may replace you so you can't use it as an excuse as to why you think you should bail.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 October 2015, 15:19.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

notice period is 2 weeks

the reason to bail is that the other role is much better for my career in the long run.........
      the reason to stay is that i'm currently under contract and I don't feel it's right to leave mid-contract, the reason I asked the question is, they have explicitly said they are hoping/planning to break the contract once they can, so IMO that gives me a bit more reason to do so than would normally be the case

Comment

So you think it is acceptable leave a client in the lurch everytime a better contract comes along. What kind of tulip would contracting be in if we all did that?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          So you think it is acceptable leave a client in the lurch everytime a better contract comes along. What kind of tulip would contracting be in if we all did that?
          but the client co can bin me when they get a better offer (permie)? this is a business agreement between 2 parties, why is it ok for them to do it and not me? just because I'm pulling the trigger first, does that mean I'm in the wrong? If i waited for them to bin me, and ended up on the bench, i'm sure the advice would be "that's life, deal with it".....so does that not apply to the client co too?

Comment

Invoke notice but be flexible if new role allows it. i.e. 3 weeks if current client wants it and you can stretch it.

No brainer IMHO.

I know what you mean - if they said they're going to can you as soon as they get a permie then they can't complain I don't think.

Bottom line though - its in the contract so perfectly allowable.

Of course, despite whats legal and whats not, you may have to face the fact you might burn your bridges with current client. Take this into consideration.

Of course, they might be sensible and say ok we understand, you knew we were going to replace you with a perm so fair play. But they might not and want all the toys in their cot.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
              but the client co can bin me when they get a better offer (permie)? this is a business agreement between 2 parties, why is it ok for them to do it and not me? just because I'm pulling the trigger first, does that mean I'm in the wrong? If i waited for them to bin me, and ended up on the bench, i'm sure the advice would be "that's life, deal with it".....so does that not apply to the client co too?
              Seems obvious to some of us but not the martyrs on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Invoke notice but be flexible if new role allows it. i.e. 3 weeks if current client wants it and you can stretch it.

No brainer IMHO.

I know what you mean - if they said they're going to can you as soon as they get a permie then they can't complain I don't think.

Bottom line though - its in the contract so perfectly allowable.

Of course, despite whats legal and whats not, you may have to face the fact you might burn your bridges with current client. Take this into consideration.

Of course, they might be sensible and say ok we understand, you knew we were going to replace you with a perm so fair play. But they might not and want all the toys in their cot.
                ya i'm not too worried about burning bridges, I plan on emigrating in the next 12-18 months and the crowd i'm potentially moving to are international and have said they might sort me out for roles when I move (I know the director of the company so it's not just a sales pitch)

Comment

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
                  You signed knowing the expectations of the client. They didn't hide anything from you. You never set the expectation you would bail at the next gig that came along.

Dunno why you posted this. You are only looking for one answer and some mercenary disguised permie has given you it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You signed knowing the expectations of the client. They didn't hide anything from you. You never set the expectation you would bail at the next gig that came along.

Dunno why you posted this. You are only looking for one answer and some mercenary disguised permie has given you it.
                    OK they told OP what they might do. They were not obliged to do so - they could have kept quiet about it. But it makes no difference.

Both parties set the expectation that one of them may give notice by agreeing to this clause in the contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X