• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Co. owes me money - should I charge interest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Co. owes me money - should I charge interest?

Myco owes me about 60,000 pounds. Should I charge them interest?

If so, what rate should I charge?

Next year it seems even more important to avoid all of Gideon's nasty new taxes, so should I lend the company another 40,000 to put in my pension before the year is up? I assume interest payments are taxed at twenty odd percent at basic rate, but corporation tax would be reduced by a similar amount, so cheaper than salary with NI or dividends with the dividend tax?

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Next year it seems even more important to avoid all of Gideon's nasty new taxes, so should I lend the company another 40,000 to put in my pension before the year is up? I assume interest payments are taxed at twenty odd percent at basic rate, but corporation tax would be reduced by a similar amount, so cheaper than salary with NI or dividends with the dividend tax?
    Why does it owe you 60k?

Comment

You thought about discussing your options with an accountant or is free advice from a set of numpties OK?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

NO

Not worth the hassle plus you would have to deduct 20% tax, complete a form and send it to HMRC each quarter. It would reduce the profit and so amount available for dividends, so not tax efficient either.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          NO

Not worth the hassle plus you would have to deduct 20% tax, complete a form and send it to HMRC each quarter. It would reduce the profit and so amount available for dividends, so not tax efficient either.
          I thought they were getting rid of the tax you have to pay on interest up to 5k? So paying interest would save the 30 percent or so that I would have to pay in corporation tax and dividend tax doing it the normal way.

I guess I'll just have the company pay me back. Or, I could ask an accountant...

Comment

No, the tax free interest limit will be £1,000 and then not for very high rate tax payers. Your company would still need to deduct tax etc, any rebate would be done via your tax return and so it is not worth doing.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
            X