• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When is a motorcycle a bicycle and a motorcycle not a bicycle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a motorcycle a bicycle and a motorcycle not a bicycle?

You see, a motorcycle is classed as a bicycle by DVLA.

Does this then give them the right to be in my bicycle lane on the way to work? These lanes are clearly marked as being for the use of bicycles only but it doesn't seem to stop motorcyclists from using them

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    You see, a motorcycle is classed as a bicycle by DVLA. Does this then give them the right to be in my bicycle lane on the way to work? These lanes are clearly marked as being for the use of bicycles only but it doesn't seem to stop motorcyclists from using them
    Just get on the pavements like all the others.

Its so 90's to cycle on the road
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It doesn't, no - there was a YouTube video where a motorcyclist deliberately went out to see if this would work, but it didn't!

That said, more and more cycle lanes are being opened up to motorcyclists anyway.

Comment

You see, a motorcycle is classed as a bicycle by DVLA.

Does this then give them the right to be in my bicycle lane on the way to work? These lanes are clearly marked as being for the use of bicycles only but it doesn't seem to stop motorcyclists from using them
        That first sentance is Complete Bollocks.

DVLA don't define vehicle types, the Department for Transport do that.

A motocycle is defined as a "powered two wheel motor vehicle."

This is not the same as a Bicycle which is defined as "a two-wheeled vehicle that is propelled solely by the muscular energy of the person on that vehicle by means of pedals and has not been constructed or adapted for propulsion by mechanical power; "

DVLA require a you to be licensed to ride a motorcycle, you do not need a licence to ride a bicycle.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

This is not the same as a Bicycle which is defined as "a two-wheeled vehicle that is propelled solely by the muscular energy of the person on that vehicle by means of pedals and has not been constructed or adapted for propulsion by mechanical power; "

DVLA require a you to be licensed to ride a motorcycle, you do not need a licence to ride a bicycle.
          Firstly, learn to spell before you have the unmitigated audacity to make disparaging remarks about my assertions.

Secondly, the taxation class of a motorcycle is a bicycle. If you dispute this, I've got an old tax disc from my Puch Maxi that clearly states this & I more than willing to upload a scan to Dropbox and provide a link here.

Comment

When people say that (normally either tongue in cheek or cos they read you could avoid a fine) they're normally referring to the "Taxation Class" which does, indeed, state "Bicycle". But yes, all very silly because, as you state, it's all pretty well defined in law.

Comment

This is not the same as a Bicycle which is defined as "a two-wheeled vehicle that is propelled solely by the muscular energy of the person on that vehicle by means of pedals and has not been constructed or adapted for propulsion by mechanical power and usually ridden by an utter knob with scant consideration for pedestrians or other road users ".
              FTFY
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Firstly, learn to spell before you have the unmitigated audacity to make disparaging remarks about my assertions.

Secondly, the taxation class of a motorcycle is a bicycle. If you dispute this, I've got an old tax disc from my Puch Maxi that clearly states this & I more than willing to upload a scan to Dropbox and provide a link here.
                Yeah, but if you looked on V5, just above Taxation Class you would see "Body Type: Motorcycle" and then you get down to Fuel, Cylinder Capacity and so on which makes it all very clear that the vehicle is mechanically propelled.

Plus, there's already some obvious disparity in the fact that I have to pay to tax my "Bicycle" where as the pedal powered bunch don't.

Comment

I don't know who defines it but my motorbikes always used to have 'bicycle' on the tax disc.
                  I think it's on the V5 too.
                  It's the taxation class, which is different from the license class etc etc.
                  AIUI, some battery-assisted pushbikes are legally pushbikes, but others are legally motorbikes?
                  And some people are getting in trouble for upping the speed limiters or wattage or something, so your assisted bicycle is no longer legal to ride on bridleways etc.

In Bristol, one may ride a motorbike in bus lanes. In Brighton one generally may not, with some exceptions, AFAIK it's permitted in two places only.

Comment

A Puch Maxi is not a motorcycle it's a moped. Short for motor assisted pedal cycle....

Comment

Working...
                    X