• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you got standard jack?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you got standard jack?

Not like in the AC/DC song. But your headphone jack :-

Apple could remove headphone jack from iPhone 7 - Telegraph

I would like any phone that does not come with standard headphone jack and standard charger to be crushed between NLYUK's thighs.

In Feb my phone is up for renewal and I am going for a iphone5s.

It's hard to believe even Apple would do this. But if anyone would, it would be Apple.

When are they going to be forced by law to drop their own proprietary charging socket?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They've talked about doing that for some time, it's why they moved the jack down to the bottom on the last couple of releases, to get the electronics & design sorted out. As for why they don't use one of the other standards, when they brought out the iPod with the big connector, there wasn't a standard. Their phones used the same connector at the start. It would go in either way up. The smaller connector is also not direction specific, so unlike the other manufacturers, you don't need to look or twist it to put it in.
      It might not be what everyone else does, but it has logical design in it.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yes, but the EU is trying to force standard charger technology.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yes, but the EU is trying to force standard charger technology.

Remember the old Nokia phones - the charger was a jack. It could go in any way around.
          Motorola and Sony (along with others) brought out their chargers which were all over the place, not standard, direction specific, etc.

If the EU want to force a standard charger, then it should go back to a jack, rather than something flat. Then you have a second connector for data transferring.

Samsung will never agree to use an Apple adapter and Apple will not want to downgrade theirs.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And (apart from being proprietary and probably patented up the wazoo) why shouldn't the lightning charger be the standard?

Apple's decision is there to drive use of beats headphones with apple products to increase the eco system footprint and keep all purchases in the apple sphere.

Beats wont have standard 2.5 mm jacks and iphones wont have 2.5mm sockets. They announced this a while back and also stated you would be able to but adaptors... they were big and clunky and after about 3 uses you would go and buy beats anyway.
            If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

You're a contractor, you should have Bluetooth Beats.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If the EU want to force a standard charger, then it should go back to a jack, rather than something flat. Then you have a second connector for data transferring.
                We have a standard charger don't we? Micro USB. It works with everything I have, and has the advantage of being able to charge from a PC.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                  And (apart from being proprietary and probably patented up the wazoo) why shouldn't the lightning charger be the standard?
                  Well that kind of answers the question doesn't it?

Apart from which, microUSB is the standard used by Android phones across all manufacturers, Kindles and other readers, nearly all tablets, most accessories, and even laptops. Hundreds of companies changing to use Apple's system is stupid when you consider Apple's market share is WAY under 50%.

I rather thought the EU HAD dictated micro-USB but maybe supplying a free adapter is enough, or maybe the laws haven't come into force yet. Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    We have a standard charger don't we? Micro USB. It works with everything I have, and has the advantage of being able to charge from a PC.
                    Voluntary up until now, compulsory soon.

EU law to require that all cellphones charge through a common standard
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X