• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone *ever* claimed on PI insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone *ever* claimed on PI insurance?

A few hundred £££ for a MILLION pounds of PI cover, and you sign up by ticking a few tick boxes (no proof of qualifications or anything to prove you're competent to do what you're doing - particularly thinking about Engineering here)

Wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone (a one man band/contractor) being claimed against and the insurance having to pay out? Is the reason the quotes are so low just because no one has ever claimed on it? Would it all fall down if someone actually had to pay out?

I suspect, like you, the claim rate is tiny.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I am friends with an insurance broker and she said the wording of my PI is not worth the paper its written on, I suspect the claim rate is low, and the payout rate even lower. I see it more as a box ticking activity for agents who request it, but don't really understand it.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I also see it as an IR35 benefit, that a contract is insisting on PI/PLI cover. Permies don't require it.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This question has been asked a number of times, and I believe the last time someone actually researched it properly, the number of claims was exactly zero.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            This question has been asked a number of times, and I believe the last time someone actually researched it properly, the number of claims was exactly zero.
            This is as I suspected - cheers

Time to start a PI insurance company

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              Time to start a PI insurance company
              Good plan.

Limited liability should protect you anyway, unless you do something really stupid. Box ticking exercise all round.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Good plan.

Limited liability should protect you anyway, unless you do something really stupid. Box ticking exercise all round.
                Absolutely, easy money.

My Dragon's Den moment was to set up a PI Insurance Company and sell PI insurance for £20. The excess would be twice the insured amount, ensuring no one claimed.

Agents and clients would love it, but they wouldn't see the excess.

risk-free money.

Comment

I've just sued a solicitor over a flat purchase and his PI ended up paying out. Just saying like.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
                    Absolutely, easy money.

My Dragon's Den moment was to set up a PI Insurance Company and sell PI insurance for £20. The excess would be twice the insured amount,ensuring no one claimed.

Agents and clients would love it, but they wouldn't see the excess.

risk-free money.
                    Or would buy it.

Comment

Working...
                    X