• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adjusted net income and child benefit threshold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusted net income and child benefit threshold

Having a discussion with my accountant about this.

If my total taxable income was £54,999 (let’s say £44,999 on salary and dividends to date plus an additional net dividend of £10,000) and I made a private pension contribution of £5000 without tax relief my adjusted net income would be £49,999? In which case there would be no impact to Child Benefit.

The calculator at https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-calculator/main
    seems to indicate the 5000 pension contribution would bring me back below the £50,099 threshold with no tax charge to pay. Does this seem correct?

Incidentally, the pension contribution (of £5000 net in the example) is to a private pension and not deducted from salary (made after dividend payment).

The child benefit clawback is calculated on your gross income before the personal allowance is deducted.

Therefore if you had total income (salary and gross dividends) of £54,999, without the pension contribution = you would have child benefit due back to HMRC.

If you made a personal gross contribution of £6,250 (£5,000 net), this would reduce your adjusted net income below £50,000 = so no child benefit would be due back to HMRC.

But if your total gross income was £64,999, less your £10,000 personal allowance= = taxable income of £54,999, with a net pension payment of £5,000 = you would have child benefit due back to HMRC.

So... You might want to check what your actual figures were

Comment

Thank you Louisa. That is what I thought. In the example above the gross amount is before personal allowance is deducted. The guidance I was given was that I would have to pay a charge if my gross was over £50,000 (the actual figure is £50099). Its the pension contribution that makes the difference.

Comment

Working...
      X