• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A sinking feeling complete with steps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sinking feeling complete with steps

Aylesbury family baffled after hole opened up on front lawn with STEPS | Daily Mail Online

For dear old Freako, this relates to a family who found a mysterious hole in their lawn, complete with iron steps leading downwards into the darkness.

It must be said that the Cornish sinkhole vid at the bottom of the page has much more impressive possibilities, since they've been known to be 2000 feet deep.

This one ain't got steps, but it is deep, man, really really deep.

Amazing pictures of 300ft Cornish mineshaft are captured by drone | Daily Mail Online

I can't see why it can't be capped.

Or even filled in with rubble and then capped.

It's getting closer, Xogg.

Homes evacuated after 60ft-deep sinkhole appears in south-east London | London | News | London Evening Standard

60 feet deep?

That's a puddle in Cornwall.

Greenwich sinkhole may have 'serious impact' on house prices, say experts

Looks like house prices in Greenwich might become a bit problematic.

And here's one that's about to eat someone's Ty Bach.

30ft sink hole appears near homes in Carmarthen - BBC News

For dear old Freako, a "storage shed" is in imminent danger.

So don't take the paper with you.

Better pics:

http://www.carmarthenjournal.co.uk/s...ail/story.html
    Last edited by zeitghost; 9 June 2017, 10:37.

Looks like one of those sewer access pipes or inspection chambers with the metal rungs cast into it. If the hole doesn't go anywhere it may well just have been dumped in the garden when the house was built.

The Cornish one is impressive though. Place is riddled with old mine workings.
    Last edited by DaveB; 10 March 2016, 08:41.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      If the hole doesn't go anywhere it may well just have been dumped in the garden when the house was built.
      Questions...
      1. Why would you dump a hole in the garden?
      2. How do you dump a hole in the garden? Do you dig it up from somewhere else and then put it in?
      2.1. What do you fill the first hole in with?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Looks like one of those sewer access pipes or inspection chambers with the metal rungs cast into it. If the hole doesn't go anywhere it may well just have been dumped in the garden when the house was built.

The Cornish one is impressive though. Place is riddled with old mine workings.
        Top spot!

At our last house, inspection chamber every 4 houses or so. Neighbours built over theirs with a conservatory. Then drains got blocked. They asked if they could use our inspection chamber and wre amazed when we pointed out that the next one was now several houses away.....

Comment

Funnily enough I was just watching Malcolm in the Middle where they find a hatch in the garden which goes down to a bomb shelter that turns out to be a bachelor pad for Hal.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

slap a bed in it & rent out to MM.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              This one ain't got steps, but it is deep, man, really really deep.

Amazing pictures of 300ft Cornish mineshaft are captured by drone | Daily Mail Online

I can't see why it can't be capped.

Or even filled in with rubble and then capped.
              It can be, it's just trickier because it's right next to the foundations. The usual process is to clear topsoil and debris down to a solid footing put a collar in place around the opening. build the level up around it, lay precast concrete slabs over it to provide a foundation, then pour another single slab over the top.

They will have to get creative about it on this one to avoid disrupting the building foundations.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Wouldn't want it right next to the house of course but I'd love this to happen to me. A big cave in my garden has always been my life's ambition.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

"We are now working very closely with structural engineers and Hexagon Housing to ascertain what led to this incident."
                  Going out on a limb here. Greedy property developer built new development on graveyard. It's happened before Poltergeist.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Brill if it opened up under neighbour Pikey Scum's house. Even better if it was full of hideous monsters.

House on the Borderland. William Hope Hodgson.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X