• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC letter re Tax Code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC letter re Tax Code

Just had a letter from HMRC saying my tax code for 2016-17 is 418L

The detail states:

Personal Allowance = £11k
    Less dividend tax £6816
    Total tax free amount = 4184

Where did they get the 6816 from?

Is it just an estimate?

Last year I paid myself £27 in dividends.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    Just had a letter from HMRC saying my tax code for 2016-17 is 418L

The detail states:

Personal Allowance = £11k
    Less dividend tax £6816
    Total tax free amount = 4184

Where did they get the 6816 from?

Is it just an estimate?

Last year I paid myself £27 in dividends.
    Yes, it's nonsense. Yes, they have a history of computing nonsensical tax codes. You can state on your SATR that you don't want them to fiddle around with your tax code. Even then, they might do so. If you search here, you'll find many similar cases with the forthcoming changes to dividend taxation. They want to get their hands on the money as quickly as possible, rather than waiting for a balancing payment on account. Simply call and ask them to reinstate a normal tax code, so you can handle this through balancing payments on account once your SATR has been submitted.

Comment

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...de-change.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...aye-codes.html
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

HMRC Grabbing Dividend Tax Earlier - Contractor Weekly
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

tax due on dividend income for 2016/17 is not due for payment until 31st January 2018
          Well that's only partially true...if its your first year in self assessment this is the case but otherwise you should be making payments on account based on a reasonable estimate of your earnings which would be due in Jan 2017 and July 2017 with just a balancing payment due in Jan 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Well that's only partially true...if its your first year in self assessment this is the case but otherwise you should be making payments on account based on a reasonable estimate of your earnings which would be due in Jan 2017 and July 2017 with just a balancing payment due in Jan 2018.
            Hi TCP

If we are being really pedantic you would only have to make payments on account against 2016/17 if your liability for 2015/16 was greater than £1,000 and less than 80% of the liability had been collected at source (i.e. PAYE).

If, like a lot of contractors, you restrict your income for 2015/16 to the high rate threshold there probably wouldn't be any liability and therefore no payments on account to make. This would then mean that the tax for 2016/17 would be due in one balancing payment by 31st January 2018 with payments on account against 2017/18 due 31st January 2018 & 31st July 2018 also.

Martin
            Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yes, it's nonsense. Yes, they have a history of computing nonsensical tax codes. You can state on your SATR that you don't want them to fiddle around with your tax code. Even then, they might do so. If you search here, you'll find many similar cases with the forthcoming changes to dividend taxation. They want to get their hands on the money as quickly as possible, rather than waiting for a balancing payment on account. Simply call and ask them to reinstate a normal tax code, so you can handle this through balancing payments on account once your SATR has been submitted.
              I just wonder.....

If one were to "appeal" it back to zero on the grounds of it not being expected to be due whether they will charge interest from the payment on account date if it turns out to eventually be due (like they do with payments on account if they are appealed down to zero).

I don't expect they will initially until the first set of tweaks. But the dividend tax is as much about getting it earlier (for than one off receipt) as it is about getting more tax.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                I just wonder.....

If one were to "appeal" it back to zero on the grounds of it not being expected to be due whether they will charge interest from the payment on account date if it turns out to eventually be due (like they do with payments on account if they are appealed down to zero).

I don't expect they will initially until the first set of tweaks. But the dividend tax is as much about getting it earlier (for than one off receipt) as it is about getting more tax.
                As far as I'm aware there isn't currently any mechanism to charge interest on tax not collected by a tax code in relation to tax to dividends and I can't see this ever applying as the tax is only due under self assessment and not the PAYE system.

You shouldn't have to 'appeal' it on the basis of not being due either, HMRC have no actual right to collect tax on other income via your tax code if you complete a self assessment they only do it to supposedly make it easier for the tax payer (read getting tax sooner for HMRC).

Martin
                Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                  As far as I'm aware there isn't currently any mechanism to charge interest on tax not collected by a tax code in relation to tax to dividends and I can't see this ever applying as the tax is only due under self assessment and not the PAYE system.
                  I thought they did. In as much as if a payment on account was due and had been reduced to zero by taxpayer request then interest was due. I'm sure I read that in the sa notes somewhere. But can't find it so probably misremembering.

All I can find is potential penalty if your request to reduce is made unreasonable.

EM4660 - Penalties: Claims to Reduce Payments on Account

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    I thought they did. In as much as if a payment on account was due and had been reduced to zero by taxpayer request then interest was due. I'm sure I read that in the sa notes somewhere. But can't find it so probably misremembering.

All I can find is potential penalty if your request to reduce is made unreasonable.

EM4660 - Penalties: Claims to Reduce Payments on Account
                    I think what Contratax means they can't charge you interest for not collecting tax through your tax code, only if you reduce your payments on account by too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X