• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting a new job - tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a new job - tips

Hi All, after being an employee for 7 years im about to start my 4th contract. Starting a new job is never easy and im getting better at it now.

Starting a new one on Tuesday as a project manager (I have 6 years experience in project management) and was just wondering if there are any general tips that you may have around best things to do at the start of a new contract in terms of getting off on the right foot with the right people.

Of course theres the obvious stuff like be on time, look smart, etc etc. Im not so good at remembering names so this is something I will focus on as well as finding out ASAP who does what are my agenda for the first week.

Any tips and general input on this would be much apreciated

Park your ferrari in the MD parking spot. Wave round wads of £50s like Harry Enfield. Offer to bleed all the radiators.

Comment

Don't expect serious answers if you post a question in General.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Walk into the MDs office, whack out a large bag of Coke, pour a pile on his desk and ask him if if fancies a livener.

Always works for me.

HTH
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

@OP: did you get your contract reviewed for IR35? And did it pass, before you signed it.
          Also after you start the work, watch out your working practices to be in compliance with IR35 regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
            @OP: did you get your contract reviewed for IR35? And did it pass, before you signed it.
            Also after you start the work, watch out your working practices to be in compliance with IR35 regulations.
            Must be easter... Some half sensible advice.

Comment

Also first things understand the environment you are in.

Is it stable or has it recently gone through changes/restructure.

If it is a stable environment you may find there are already processes in place so learn em and use em.

What is the general view of 'projects' or more generally 'change'.

Listen for who is make the most noise and unless they are a major stakeholder or sme then get the quiet ones on board.

Comment

Find out what the problems on the project are, if they say there are none, you have a problem. you need to find them.

You need to look at the documention, see how it's weighted. Are all areas covered evenly?

Maybe it's just me but usually they don't bring in a contractor unless there is a problem.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

You don't sound very confident in yourself. How do you get contracts sounding like that???
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X