• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enlightenment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enlightenment

After 12 years contracting I have just come to the conclusion that I simply cannot stand it anymore.

Actually that's a lie. It's been a gradual descent to the point now where I just have to get out for my own sanity. Money alone is not enough.

Good luck everybody.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    After 12 years contracting I have just come to the conclusion that I simply cannot stand it anymore.

Actually that's a lie. It's been a gradual descent to the point now where I just have to get out for my own sanity. Money alone is not enough.

Good luck everybody.
    Sounds like a suicide note....

I've been contracting for 36 years (skint tho - what happened there?*) and I love it, I want more!

* Just remembered - divorce......

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

Good luck everybody.
      I know what you mean, I'm in the same place. If I didn't have responsibilities I'd give up tomorrow.
      Once I finish the current contract the last child will have left home and I'm going to be bankrupted by HMRC so am planning to go to college for a year and do something different.

Which reminds me - I must remember to hid my fly fishing gear.

After that, I'll probably be bored stupid and go back to contracting again!!
      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Sorry to hear that. If you are still here would you care to share what's brought it to a conclusion. Travelling, constant change of clients, time on the bench? I'd be genuinely interested to hear.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Sorry to hear that. If you are still here would you care to share what's brought it to a conclusion. Travelling, constant change of clients, time on the bench? I'd be genuinely interested to hear.
          For me, its the incessant masturbating.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            For me, its the incessant masturbating.....
            I thought that made you go blind not give up contracting..

Comment

IIRC, the OP works for IBs. From what I gather (mainly from following the news and the occasional posts here), it's an area that has been spiraling into turd-dom for a while. Much like oil and gas, although perhaps not quite that bad.

Comment

I really don't enjoy it anymore. I think developers have their shelf life and in this discipline you have to keep reinventing yourself. It comes to a head and as you enter middle-age you lose the will to keep on doing it. Then you look at the way the industry is heading (has been heading for several years) as a whole, with the offshoring, nearshoring, visas, HMRC vendetta and the London IB sector which has been my bread and butter but now it's gone. I guess I've just burnt out with it all if I'm honest. I've been on a process of re-skilling to remain current and it's been hard this time around, though I feel I've chosen wisely and on the crest of the next big wave but I haven't the appetite for it, not the traditional 5 days a week on site anyhow. You wake up in the morning and think to yourself "I can still do this" but as you look for new opportunities and read the adverts, it makes me feel physically sick. Not where I want to be anymore. Somebody else's turn.

oh, and travelling, bench time, relentless interviewing, living away from home for years on end have all contributed.

Comment

Well it seems a measured and sensible decision. We live this lifestyle for the flexibility and that includes getting out.

You never know, I'd it looks like its going to be bad next Apr many more experienced guys will snap up the tasty perm jobs before and sit happily watching the fall out.

Comment

Well it seems a measured and sensible decision. We live this lifestyle for the flexibility and that includes getting out.

You never know, I'd it looks like its going to be bad next Apr many more experienced guys will snap up the tasty perm jobs before and sit happily watching the fall out.
                    Forgot to add that I chalked up around £ 25k expenses per year, and that's without the bar bill, making the London thing happen and even as a Limited company, that seems increasingly under threat. I have a possible slant on what I already do that wouldn't feature being on site and thereby nullify the expenses along with the SDC issue to some extent. I'll post something up when I get around to finalising the website/offering and publishing the website URL. Hopefully it's a niche that may interest some of my former clients. Cheers for the support.

Comment

Working...
                    X