• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supermarkets do not sell unlabelled halal meat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermarkets do not sell unlabelled halal meat

Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys et al are all selling unstunned, ritually slaughtered meat without telling you.

That's because any meat from the hindquarters is considered haram, not halal and will enter the normal distribution channels, so that nice juicy rump sreak you're having for dinner....

Maybe you don't give a toss but for those of us that do, isn't it about time for a requirement for packaging to clearly state the provenance of what's inside?

Meanwhile, I eat less and less meat & when I do I get it from the local butcher where all the meat comes from the local abattoir.

Anyhow, just another 1200 sigs needed

No because the reality is if is just food not halal, not harm not anything.

Just food.

Just because someone has made up some words to describe something they think an imaginary sky fairy may like, it does not actually mean anything.

Just a string of letters made into a word and assigned a meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Just food.

Just because someone has made up some words to describe something they think an imaginary sky fairy may like, it does not actually mean anything.

Just like this post?
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Just food.

It means that the chances are it has had its throat slit whilst still conscious.

I wish to avoid that meat but I am not given the information by the supermarkets to do so. So I just don't buy meat from them.

Comment

Thing is supermarket meat is largely tulip, in any case, labeling won't change that.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
            Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys et al are all selling unstunned, ritually slaughtered meat without telling you.

That's because any meat from the hindquarters is considered haram, not halal and will enter the normal distribution channels, so that nice juicy rump sreak you're having for dinner....

Maybe you don't give a toss but for those of us that do, isn't it about time for a requirement for packaging to clearly state the provenance of what's inside?

Meanwhile, I eat less and less meat & when I do I get it from the local butcher where all the meat comes from the local abattoir.

Anyhow, just another 1200 sigs needed
            The only stuff I can find out about this are old Dail Sieg Heil articles but going to the source:

Sainsburys | What is your position on halal meat?

What is your position on halal meat?

In line with our high welfare standards, all the animals used for our own brand meat are stunned prior to slaughter.

Under no circumstances would any of our own brand meat be from an animal that has not been stunned prior to slaughter. The animal will always be treated humanely with the utmost respect. In New Zealand it is common for lamb to be blessed however we have never requested this and all of our own brand meat is from animals stunned prior to slaughter so it would be wrong to label our own brand meat as Halal.

We do sell a selection of branded halal and kosher products in some stores, all of which is very clearly labelled.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

From those well known extreme right wing islamaphobes....

Religious slaughter - Slaughter - Farm animals

What is the RSPCA doing?

We’re pressing for law changes to improve animal welfare at slaughter. Until this occurs, we propose:
              •UK Jewish and Muslim communities review their slaughter practices

•Meat produced from animals not stunned before slaughter should be clearly labelled to allow consumer choice.
              No doubt the law should be changed but as food labelling is an EU competence don't hold your breath...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                The only stuff I can find out about this are old Dail Sieg Heil articles but going to the source:

Sainsburys | What is your position on halal meat?
                Under no circumstances would any of our own brand meat be from an animal that has not been stunned prior to slaughter
                Weasel words. Many animal welfare groups claim that the stunning only immobilses the animal not render it unconscious. E.g this from CIWF on halal chicken:

In practice the stunning being used only serves to immobilise and not render the birds unconscious, making the suffering even worse.

Comment

I would prefer to eat Meat that has suffered as little as possible, my understanding is that means stunned. If that isn't the case then lets investigate & change it not substitute that for slitting its throat because its cheap.

I don't really care if someone has spoken religious words over the animal but I can see how that may offend others who believe in other faiths or versions of the same faith. Therefore those blessed in any way should be clearly marked.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Just like this post?
                    Normally I would agree with you but not this time.

Comment

Working...
                    X