• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Single supplier to procur equipment over £2000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single supplier to procur equipment over £2000

Hi all,
    I have just started my own Ltd company as a contractor. I am trying purchase several large items that will qualify as capital assets. I'm registered to use the Flat Rate VAT scheme, so it's advantageous for my purchase to be over £2000. Problem is, I can't find a single supplier for everything, such that no single receipt will be over £2000.
    How have people been able to avoid this problem in the past? Do companies exist to purchase any product you specify and then sell them on? Would this violate some other regulation in not aware of?
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

Gizza clue what these large items are for a start?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Desk, chair, computer, and monitor to name the biggest. Part of the problem is that I'm very specific on requirements for each.

Comment

Desk, chair, computer, and monitor to name the biggest. Part of the problem is that I'm very specific on requirements for each.

Comment

Well I'd guess you are stuffed then.

From

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...all-businesses

It's pretty clear

15.3 What counts as a single purchase of capital goods?

The normal VAT rules are used to determine whether any particular supply is one, or more than one, purchase and whether supplies are of goods or services.

Examples of a single purchase are:
          •a computer package (computer, printer, camera, scanner, speakers etc.) bought as one package is one purchase of capital expenditure goods. If the package costs £2,000 or more (incl. VAT) then input tax can be claimed
          •items of kitchen equipment (a pizza oven, a fridge and a dishwasher) bought for a restaurant. If all the items are from one supplier at one time, then they count as one purchase of capital expenditure goods. If they are from three different suppliers or at three different times then they will be three purchases and each must be £2,000 or more (inc VAT) to qualify for a reclaim of VAT
          You either relax your requirements and get from one supplier so you can claim or you don't.

Comment

Ton of threads on FRS and the £2k limit here if you want to have a trawl through...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=FR...BMQrQIIQCgEMAM

Comment

Originally posted by Ajbaker View Post
              I wish my clients were as clear, with their requirements, as you
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Yes, I understand the guidelines. I guess, re-worded, the question is are people aware of any suppliers who could procure these products and then supply them to me as one package? I've only found suppliers so far who, understandably, only sell what they stock: they've not been willing to source other products even at a markup.

Comment

If you've just started up then your mistake is joining the FRS too early - you should register for VAT, buy everything, claim the VAT back then join the FRS to start billing

Comment

Originally posted by Ajbaker View Post
                    There's probably a few places that can supply all of these, so if it's that important to you to claim the VAT back , maybe you should be a little less specific so you can buy them all in one place.

Comment

Working...
                    X