• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can the pimp play this game with my rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can the pimp play this game with my rate?

Went to the interview, banking client, it all went really well. The manager gave me a clear indication that I was the one.

Pimp says they were really happy and want to hire me, but is trying to drive me down on the rate, says the client won't go to the rate I am asking, and what would I be prepared to come down to. He hasn't said "they offer £x", just what would I come down to.

Now I am convinced that this agent is just trying to increase his cut. He has told me they have a "consultancy agreement" with the client (i.e. no fixed commission). Now I have been pretty resolute in holding out, but this has been going on for days now.

The rate I'm asking for is admittedly rather a robust sum, but it's not unheard of for the scenario.

How long will he hold out? Will he really let this slip away? It really does feel like an agency game, but I don't know how to win it.

Only one way to find out.

Make a decision, go with it and accept the consequences of that decision, whatever they might be.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      Only one way to find out.

Make a decision, go with it and accept the consequences of that decision, whatever they might be.
      Yup this...

You need to know your "worth" and go no lower. If you lose the gig then so be it. 9/10 times its just the agent trying to increase their margin.

Comment

I have a feeling the agent knows you don't know how to win as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Macavity View Post
          How long will he hold out? Will he really let this slip away? It really does feel like an agency game, but I don't know how to win it.
          They will hold out until either (a) they win by you taking a pay cut; (b) they win by placing someone else instead of you; (c) they "lose" by you not backing down.

Even if you win, when you turn up, don't be surprised if the client has already marked you down as an awkward sod because of how you tried to screw them (even if this isn't in the slightest bit true, it's what the agent will have told them).

Work out how much the win is worth to you, and then stick with that - because even the win may feel like a loss if you play it badly

Comment

Thanks for the (blokeishly) supportive comments guys. Looks like waiting and holding out is pretty much the only option available, short of caving in, which I'm not planning on doing.

It's quite an eye opener to realise how many contractors must be slogging away in Burmese Railway style contracts whilst the pimp is skimming off £200+ for every day they work.

Not worried about souring things with the client. I'm sure they've been spun some crazy yarn about why I'm taking so long to accept their generous offer. The pimp could try to push additional candidates, but he runs the risk of losing out to another agency.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post

Even if you win, when you turn up, don't be surprised if the client has already marked you down as an awkward sod because of how you tried to screw them (even if this isn't in the slightest bit true, it's what the agent will have told them).
              Only if the agent is actually telling the truth...

Comment

It is quite rare for a banking client not to have a fixed commission.

Personally I don't like playing this "who blinks first" business especially over a few quid.

As others have said, set a limit then stick to it.

Comment

In the meantime, find something else.

Would you let a prospective partner act like this towards you?

Comment

Originally posted by Macavity View Post
                    Went to the interview, banking client, it all went really well. The manager gave me a clear indication that I was the one.

Pimp says they were really happy and want to hire me, but is trying to drive me down on the rate, says the client won't go to the rate I am asking, and what would I be prepared to come down to. He hasn't said "they offer £x", just what would I come down to.

Now I am convinced that this agent is just trying to increase his cut. He has told me they have a "consultancy agreement" with the client (i.e. no fixed commission). Now I have been pretty resolute in holding out, but this has been going on for days now.

The rate I'm asking for is admittedly rather a robust sum, but it's not unheard of for the scenario.

Have you also considered that you could be up against someone else who they may be hedging their bets with? It may not be solely down to the agency and their cut.

As others have said - if this is a game a prospective client/agency is prepared to play with you, you are better off also hedging your bets and carrying on searching.

Have PM'd you too.
                    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 17 May 2016, 07:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X