• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sexual Harrassment

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sexual Harrassment

Evening,

I searched and couldn't find something to help me hence the new thread.

I've contracted for 10years+ and never been put in this situation. I was approached by my immediate report last week about the behaviour of another contractor on the programme I'm running. He has alledgely made some comments of sexual nature to a female permie not part of the programme but sits on the bank of hot desks he uses.

Last week my brief was keep an eye out, today he sat closer to the permie I mentioned to this to my report. We were both nervous of what may happen and low and betold 2 "unofficial" comments came to my report.

I work in Financial Services within the regulatory space and know how importantly banks take this stuff seriously. I also know sometimes it's lip service in particular when it's "banter" amongst long standing colleagues however it can quickly become a big deal.

I've been asked to have a informal word with him tomorrow to warn him of his behaviour and that it doesn't fit within the values of the end client which he would have signed a policy abiding by.

Now innocent until proven guilty and all that, and I do believe it may be a simple miss understanding but I'm torn. The director I ultimately report into a former contractor would take the low risk approach and give the guy his notice. Part of agrees we get enough negative press from permies I can do without this on my programme. I am also concerned about not taking the claimants claim seriously if it continues. I don't want the liability transferred to me should the wrong process be followed.

If anyone has come up against this then please give me some advice. He's not half bad at his job if you take this to one side but that's not a reason to protect.

I used to post on here many moons ago but can't remember log on and don't have access to previous email address

Frankly, I find it really hard to understand what you are going on about. Wtf is an "unoffical comment"? And who was keeping an eye on whom? And who was nervous? Make little sense. But anyway, maybe this is a summary.
    1. You are a contractor and were asked to monitor the behaviour of another contractor to see if they were sexually harassing a colleague.
    2. Now you've been asked to have a quiet word with the alledged offender having observed some inappropriate behaviour.
    3. You think he is good at his job.

If he has behaved inappropriately, then his ability his irrelevant.

You have chosen to be involved. That was really really stupid. You should have said no. But you've said yes and have no choice but to follow through.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You are involved so you need to deal with it.

I would suggest you tell the offender that the recipient is uncomfortable with the comments he has made, and to keep the conversation professional. Make it clear that if there are any further complaints, you will not be defending him. Then it is up to him to modify his behaviour. At no point, even if you think it (your comment that it is a misunderstanding is telling), imply or agree that the recipient was over sensitive. If the recipient is uncomfortable, the comments need to stop, regardless of whether they were intended as a joke/compliment etc. People do not complain lightly - if a complaint is made then it deserves to be treated seriously. No-one should feel uncomfortable at work because of gender.

Comment

What NAT said and IMO if there is even a hint something is going on you've got to get rid. He's a contractor, you can walk him there and then problem solved. You don't have to balance it all up with HR and have a complex decision. Easier to remove him and start again. If it's over something like this no one will be too upset it puts the work back.

Contractors should be better than the permies. The banter he/she is having is with a client not a colleague. That's reason enough to go without the accusation and offence that might have been caused.

Upside is your could get someone that is very good at their job instead half bad and catch up.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 23 May 2016, 19:00.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And an example I worked with a guy two years ago that always worked late. One day he didn't turn up because he hadn't been let him. He'd made one of the lady perms nervous by sitting at her desk chatting to her one evening and not taking a hint to go away. Possibly overly chatty, possibly more but either way, off he went and no one batted an eyelid. You don't piss the permies off and that was that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually, it seems even worse than that.

It seems the poster is a Contractor.
            The person being complained about is a Contractor.
            The person "being harassed" (in quotes as no detail) is a permie, not part of the project team.
            The person making the complaint is a third-party - who has apparently overheard something and reported it as harassment, not a complaint by the person who the comment was made to.

Since then, the OP decided to gossip with their "Direct Report" about where people were sitting in the office.

However, what it boils down to is that you, as a Contactor, have been asked to have a quiet word. In other words, the client wants to try dealing with it unofficially, and hope that if you say "you've been noticed" then they'll stop. Have the quiet word, "as a friend". It is up to the client to decide whether to take it further and ditch the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              You are involved so you need to deal with it.

I would suggest you tell the offender that the recipient is uncomfortable with the comments he has made, and to keep the conversation professional. Make it clear that if there are any further complaints, you will not be defending him. Then it is up to him to modify his behaviour. At no point, even if you think it (your comment that it is a misunderstanding is telling), imply or agree that the recipient was over sensitive. If the recipient is uncomfortable, the comments need to stop, regardless of whether they were intended as a joke/compliment etc. People do not complain lightly - if a complaint is made then it deserves to be treated seriously. No-one should feel uncomfortable at work because of gender.
              I'd also make it clear that the recipient of the comment was not the person who made the complaint / comment - because that's important for everyone to understand.

You don't want anyone to think that the recipient is just complaining because they have no sense of humour or are being over-sensitive, which wouldn't be an uncommon reaction in a situation like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
                Actually, it seems even worse than that.

It seems the poster is a Contractor.
                The person being complained about is a Contractor.
                The person "being harassed" (in quotes as no detail) is a permie, not part of the project team.
                The person making the complaint is a third-party - who has apparently overheard something and reported it as harassment, not a complaint by the person who the comment was made to.

Since then, the OP decided to gossip with their "Direct Report" about where people were sitting in the office.

However, what it boils down to is that you, as a Contactor, have been asked to have a quiet word. In other words, the client wants to try dealing with it unofficially, and hope that if you say "you've been noticed" then they'll stop. Have the quiet word, "as a friend". It is up to the client to decide whether to take it further and ditch the guy.
                I am contractor and there has been no gossiping at all, my direct report was the one who had the complaint made to. And asked me to keep an eye on it, and now to have a word. I don't know who has made the complaint/comment but have an idea.

It all could be a missunderstanding I hope when I speak to him tomorrow it gets dealt with, he realises not to talk like that in the office and we move on. If not then I'm afraid he'll be out the door.

Thank you to you all for the advice

Comment

Until we know what the nature of this harassment is we've no idea and neither has the OP who has been totally put in an awkward situation.

If it's flirting ok, we all do it, like 'you look nice/sexy in that' - ok, thats fine (in my book) but if it's 'look at these pics of this bloke tulipting on a girl' (I have seen that from a contractor tp a permie) that's obvs. well out of order.

Might be helpful to have some idea of the nature of the alleged harassment....

Comment

Personally I would tell the client I ain't spying for them and its nothing to do with me....

Why the hell are you getting involved in this tulip ?
                    Last edited by dx4100; 23 May 2016, 21:57.

Comment

Working...
                    X