• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract term

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract term

So, just received new contract which has this clause:

I agree that at all times I shall comply with the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (ITEPA) and Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992 (SSCBA) and all other statutes and regulations relating to income tax and National Insurance Contributions. I agree that the Client may, at any time during the term of this Contract, request the Supplier to provide information which demonstrates how I comply with the above Acts or provide appropriate evidence why I consider that the legislation does not apply to my circumstances. I acknowledge that the Client may instruct (agency) to terminate my assignment if I fail after ten (10) working days’ notice from the Client’s request, to either provide adequate information to the Client in response to the request, or to demonstrate why the legislation does not apply to my circumstances,. I further agree that the Client may supply to HMRC, any information which it receives from me or the Supplier concerning my tax affairs for the purpose of the collection and management of revenue.

Not seen this before, so what's it all about & is it a major issue?
    Clarity is everything

You could ask QDOS for clarrification when you put it in for review?

Are you direct or via an agency?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 June 2016, 08:18.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could try a quick Google as well.
      https://corriculo.co.uk/itepa-mean-r...sonal-details/

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        thanks but am up against the clock on this, monday start, it's via an agency, organisation is a charity. What's the fees for QDOS these days and can they turn around in a day?
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          thanks but am up against the clock on this, monday start, it's via an agency, organisation is a charity. What's the fees for QDOS these days and can they turn around in a day?
          Yes. It will cost you but they do a 24 hour service.

This is a perfect example of where a review must be done regardless of timescales. I'll delay the start of the gig a day or two if need be. Starting with an unreviewed contract with odd clauses in will only end in tears.

Comment

It's all very person-centric i.e. "I" and "my" rather than a contract between two businesses.

If QDOS do turn it round in a day and they turn up with a FAIL then what next ? Can't see contract change modifications completing before Monday.

Comment

Can't see you'll get the nod from QDOS

I'm different to Northern.

I'd just sign it and if they ever come asking then I'd keep stalling until they eventually (possibly) terminate me. Most likely nothing would ever happen.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Being up against the clock doesn't mean you shouldn't get the contract reviewed.

If the client is public sector then you expect to get terms like that in. Personally if you are worried about giving notice you can leave the term in.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  I'm different to Northern.

I'd just sign it and if they ever come asking then I'd keep stalling until they eventually (possibly) terminate me. Most likely nothing would ever happen.
                  Yep, given timescales involved, I've taken this tack, spoken to agency & advised if I'm asked to provide such info, I'll decline & they can invoke termination.
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

If it isnt a government department then tell them to strike it out. Personally I wouldn't touch with a long pole. Your tax affairs have nothing to do with the end client.

Comment

Working...
                    X