• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain has no power in the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain has no power in the EU

Apparently, according to Brexit, Britain is pretty powerless against the EU but surely this proves that point wrong: EU court backs UK Government's right to restrict migrant benefits | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Actually, Boris Johnson says we always get bossed around by Brussels because we keep getting outvoted: Boris Johnson’s speech on the EU referendum: full text | Conservative Home. However, since 1999, we’ve been on the losing side 56 times: Facts behind the claims: UK influence – UK in a changing Europe in the EU’s Council. What Boris doesn’t say is how many times we’ve been on the winning side, 2,466 times: Facts behind the claims: UK influence – UK in a changing Europe. 2,466 to 56 is a good score in any sport.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

I wouldn't bother.

We live in the best democracy even though we can't elect our head of State and the second chamber of parliament.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Apparently, according to Brexit, Britain is pretty powerless against the EU but surely this proves that point wrong: EU court backs UK Government's right to restrict migrant benefits | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Actually, Boris Johnson says we always get bossed around by Brussels because we keep getting outvoted: Boris Johnson’s speech on the EU referendum: full text | Conservative Home. However, since 1999, we’ve been on the losing side 56 times: Facts behind the claims: UK influence – UK in a changing Europe in the EU’s Council. What Boris doesn’t say is how many times we’ve been on the winning side, 2,466 times: Facts behind the claims: UK influence – UK in a changing Europe. 2,466 to 56 is a good score in any sport.
      This would be the same Boris Johnson who argued in favour of Turkey joining the EU and who once told Der Spiegel ‘We can’t leave Europe. We’re part of the European Continent. What is the English Channel? It’s a primeval river that got slightly too big … We’re always going to be a part of Europe psychologically.”
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        This would be the same Boris Johnson who argued in favour of Turkey joining the EU and who once told Der Spiegel ‘We can’t leave Europe. We’re part of the European Continent. What is the English Channel? It’s a primeval river that got slightly too big … We’re always going to be a part of Europe psychologically.”
        We're not leaving Europe, we love Europe. We love the people of Europe, we love European culture.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          We're not leaving Europe, we love Europe. We love the people of Europe, we love European culture.

WE ******* HATE THE EU!
          What ? You mean the tug boats won't be towing the UK away en masse after Brexit ? I would have thought that would have been the first post brexit EU mandate, to prevent the UK trading with anyone.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I wouldn't bother.

We live in the best democracy even though we can't elect our head of State and the second chamber of parliament.
            Who has almost no power - the Monarch can technically refuse to grant Royal Assent, but the last Monarch to do so was Queen Anne. In about 1707. All my principles tell me a hereditary monarchy is wrong, but my conscience warns me about the horrific possibility of going down the Republican route, and ending up with "Trooping the Colour: Starring TONY B LIAR"
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I wouldn't bother.

If this is the best it says something about the others.

Hang on - surely Switzerland is way better than us?

Comment

"Britain has no power in the EU"

And it'll have a lot less if it remains
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Hang on - surely Switzerland is way better than us?
                    Direct democracy. A few thousand citizens' signatures on a petition and you get a referendum. It does mean voting every other week and that I should have bought shares in the political poster printing companies...
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X