• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do they do it ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they do it ?

I've been contracting for a number of years now, and I am still amazed when agencies advertise jobs that simply don't exist. You know the story, they tell you you are the best candidate blah blah blah, it drags on for days/weeks and you smell a rat, make a few phone calls and the 'client' has never heard of them or they have filled the role or they rejected your cv immediately due to rate or whatever...

Do agents/telephone salespeople do this so they can keep you 'on tap' incase a similar role falls into their lap and they can use you for it ? Given placing an ad is easy and they always seem to get a number of replies, I just don't see why they do it.

(I would name names but I am new here and should play nice.)

ha ! I love the moon !
    Last edited by spankmebono; 1 November 2006, 10:12.

Well if they get CVs they've got some new leads to follow. They can find out who uses contractors, and which contractors are thinking of leaving from where.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Of course, silly me, but surely it's illegal to advertise something that doesn't exist ?

Comment

Originally posted by spankmebono
        Of course, silly me, but surely it's illegal to advertise something that doesn't exist ?
        No, look at religion and party manifestos.

Comment

hehe !

Does ATSCO have any teeth ?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
            No, look at religion and party manifestos.
            Too right - those two areas seem to be completely outside of the normal laws regulating fraudulent activities, but the crap agents do is not - a legal sting is really in order here.

Comment

Yes, I've often wondered if an 'investigative journalist' would be interested similar to the Foxton's expose

Comment

Yes it is illegal to advertise roles that do not exist.

Pity the the agency regs didnt come with real teeth to enforce them!

Mailman

Comment

hehe !

Does ATSCO have any teeth ?
                  What, to bite its own members with?

Comment

Well, I suppose naively I thought they would be interested in them adhering to the 'code of conduct'

Do 'Trading Standards' have any interest ? I would like to get something done, I'm so sick of salespeople who lie about roles they don't have simply to get leads etc

Do we name and shame on here, or compare experiences ?

Comment

Working...
                    X