• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching accountants - re-entering expenses & invoices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching accountants - re-entering expenses & invoices

Hey,

I stupidly switched accountants 3 months before the end of my LTD financial year. My old accountants sent all the documentation to my new accountant and I can also provide all my expenses, invoices, balances, etc for the last 8 months. But my new accountant has said he can't use all my old data and i'll need to re-enter all my figures into his spreadsheet, which will be days and days of work!

Is this normal when switching accountants half way through the year? Or should I be kicking up a fuss?

Cheers

Well if their portals or tools are incompatible what are they supposed to do? I would have thought this was one of the questions you would have asked before you switched over to them?

Can you just not go back to the old one and ask them to finish the year off and put the new one on hold until you new year starts?

I'd expect your new one is going to charge you to do the returns that you would have paid the old one to do as well as you haven't paid a full year before they are needed by the way. Might want to ask about that as well.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 July 2016, 12:43.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Switching Accountants

One of the plus points of Freeagent (and others), easy to port around should the need arise.

Which systems do the old & new accountants use? You mention spreadsheets which shouldn't be too much of a problem to use within the working papers. We've had a few guys come across with spreadsheets part way through a year but pretty simple to accommodate and use within our own system & working papers, then put onto Freeagent if required by the client. It's a little extra work but ensures it's correct and accessible going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Well if their portals or tools are incompatible what are they supposed to do? I would have thought this was one of the questions you would have asked before you switched over to them?
        Last time I changed, my new accountant entered everything from the spreadsheet into their portal for me. I would expect nothing less, but I did ask first.

Comment

Yet another compulsive reason to switch to a FreeAgent accountant.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Days?

A couple of hours max, go back and press a little.

Comment

I did my whole years bookkeeping in three hours, everything entered into a spreadsheet. Is yours more complicated than a standard IT Contractor accounts?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                I did my whole years bookkeeping in three hours, everything entered into a spreadsheet. Is yours more complicated than a standard IT Contractor accounts?
                I used to spend about a day at year end sorting the mess of my accounts, going through the shoebox of receipts and copying them into the spreadsheet.

But if the OP has the information from the first accountant, I can't see it taking long to just transpose that into a new format. Stick some music on, get your head down and type

Comment

Annual accounts

Are the old accountants obligated to complete your annual accounts if they were in contract at the end of your corporate year? It's the end of my LTD financial year and I want to switch accountants as soon as possible. Both accountants are on FreeAgent, so all the info is to hand already, and new accountants said they can't verify the figures so it's old accountant's responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by greenio View Post
                    Are the old accountants obligated to complete your annual accounts if they were in contract at the end of your corporate year? It's the end of my LTD financial year and I want to switch accountants as soon as possible. Both accountants are on FreeAgent, so all the info is to hand already, and new accountants said they can't verify the figures so it's old accountant's responsibility.
                    The answer to this is contractural, rather then regulatory - check the engagement terms with your outgoing accountant, eg engagement letter, terms of business etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X