• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I use my business' money to invest in stocks or property instead of paying myself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use my business' money to invest in stocks or property instead of paying myself

I have saved around £50k on my business bank account. Can I use my business' money to invest in stocks or property instead of paying myself dividends?

What did your accountant say?

I just can't get over why people have an accounting question and choose to ask a bunch of strangers before they ask a professional they are paying for.

There are a ton of articles on Google and CUK and heaven forbid you try searching the forums......
    Last edited by northernladuk; 27 July 2016, 20:49.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You're much better off putting that 50k into a SIPP (pension), and then investing in stocks / commercial property (you can't invest in residential with a SIPP). This will minimise your corporation tax bill.

Investing the retained earnings can be done, but you will be taxed (potentially quite heavily).

Speak to a professional, we aren't financial advisors or accountants. Pay the professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
        You're much better off putting that 50k into a SIPP (pension), and then investing in stocks / commercial property (you can't invest in residential with a SIPP). This will minimise your corporation tax bill.

Investing the retained earnings can be done, but you will be taxed (potentially quite heavily).

Speak to a professional, we aren't financial advisors or accountants. Pay the professionals.
        ...but then it's stuck there until you're 55...

AIUI you can invest via your company with post-corptax profits, but you should check the specifics with your accountant

Comment

Maybe you have a short memory, here's where you asked the same question last time

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...fs-stocks.html
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Maybe you have a short memory, here's where you asked the same question last time

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...fs-stocks.html
            Good spot! Definitely a ditherer.

Wonder if he has worked out what is his salary and what isn't yet.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 28 July 2016, 08:18.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wonder if the government will relax the restriction on SIPPs being used to invest in direct residential property in the autumn statement or next year's budget, to keep the property bubble inflated.

In the meantime use the SIPP money to invest in stocks/shares with low cost index tracker set for say a 10 year investment period. Buy the residential property with low interest mortgage (10 year fixes are around 2.5%-3%). In 10 years (or sooner if SIPP rule change allows it) pay off outstanding amount (if over 55 so can withdraw SIPP funds) or remortgage if rates still lower than what can average in the SIPP investment over the mortgage term.

If the pound devalues or interest rates rise significantly then the SIPP investment will perform better(?) to offset any increase in non-fixed mortgage payments.

Any flaws in this plan?
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Yes you can...but generally speaking it's not a great idea. It complicates things, and also can have knock on tax impacts further down the line by muddying the waters over whether the company is a trading or investment company. Plus any gains made are likely to be taxable, whereas if those same gains were made in a SIPP/ISA, they'd likely be tax free.

As others have suggested, putting money into a SIPP and investing from there can be a tax efficient way of doing things. A less tax efficient option (but gives you more flexibility) is to extract the cash as dividends/similar now, and invest personally (perhaps in an ISA).

Caveat - the above is just my personal opinion not investment advice bla bla.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye
                  True. It is locked in, but isn't saving for old age a good thing?
                  Not if you die at 54 having lived on £1k disposable income per month your whole life despite earning a lot more!

Comment

I do agree I should invest in a pension, although I'm <30 and I do want to take advantage of the passive income early.

I don't want to pay myself over 100k, because of the 60% effective tax from 100k to 120k, Tax system flaws leave professionals paying 60 per cent - Telegraph

I have been investing via my ISA in Vanguard and I'm hoping to achieve a 7% return per year, which means your investments are 15 times as high after 40 years.

So I think it's really worth into looking what options are out there.

The disadvantage of personal investments is that I pay 20% corporation tax, then dividend tax, then I invest and I pay dividend tax on the profits on that. If investing via the Limited company can save me some tax, then why not.

Comment

Working...
                    X