• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generation Snowflake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generation Snowflake

Hmm Career limiting memo

This grad's email quitting PwC shows how boring working in finance is

Afternoon All,

For those of you who didn’t know the Stoke-on-Trent dole queue is about to get one man longer as today is my last day at the firm.

In hindsight scraping a B in GCSE maths and getting a Social Sciences 2:1 from Durham that consisted of £1.50 pints and fifa with some light work squashed in, possibly wasn’t the best prep for the ACA. Even if we’d actually had some tuition and a decent amount of time to complete the exams my selfish desire to have a social life would probably still have been my downfall….

I don’t really go in for wishy washy “thanks for memories” emails in all honestly I haven’t particularly enjoyed much of time at PwC largely related to exam stress and having a low boredom threshold. To chronicle my magical journey through the meat grinder of PwC I’ve compiled a couple of lists of things that I did and some that I didn’t:
    No I love it hands off Mods
    50.00%
    NAT is teh king of Mods and can do no wrong
    0.00%
    AndyW's Mum likes a bit of accountancy work
    50.00%
    This doesn't really need a poll, does it?
    0.00%
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Accountancy is dull non-shock.

What next, stamp-collecting a non-contact sport?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

he couldn't help himself! One dead Poll

Comment

I do hope he's successful in getting that creative job he's so obviously angling for.

PS. I closed the poll - it wasn't needed, what's wrong with this thread?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I do hope he's successful in getting that creative job he's so obviously angling for.
          the one with Fries?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            the one with Fries?
            If he's really persistent and doesn't take 'No' for an answer.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Even if we’d actually had some tuition and a decent amount of time to complete the exams my selfish desire to have a social life would probably still have been my downfall….
              I'd hazard a guess that Pokemon Go was not a big hit with the management during working hours.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

He could try the Spectator.

Apparently they don't bother looking at CVs, or any vetting and all that nonsense, but take people on if they like the cut of their gibs.

If banks and security services took a leaf out of their book, they'd end up with more talented and imaginative staff!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If he's really persistent and doesn't take 'No' for an answer.
                  Do you offer the same advice if he's dating?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hmm I feel some sympathy because my experience of large companies like this is that they are full of 45 year old middle management bell ends who feel they have achieved something cos they have a company basic a4 and a huge fear of loosing all they have attained because they could not empty a boot with the instructions written on the sole.

On the flip side you need to know the basics inside out to move upwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X