• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-activate SC Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-activate SC Clearance

Hi all,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

I was working on an SC contract recently and moved positions within that contract and I was told by my (then) manager that the security manager was going to have my SC withdrawn or revoked (i can't remember the exact words). I never received any 'official' confirmation from the security guy and the chat with my boss was the first/last I heard about it.

I left that role in May (I was only in the new non-sc role for a month) and started a permanent role in July which hasn't worked out, so I've decided to go back to contracting. To that end, would my SC be able to be re-activated as it were? Am i able to check anywhere that it is withdrawn?

Thanks for your time.

Speak to the security people at the last place you used it. If it's active it will be held there and they can tell you the score.

SC can go with just the gig and isn't always the 10 years but have to use within a year rule so it is possible it's gone.

When you find out could you let us know. We mention SC going with the gig but this would be the first time we've seen it in here if it has.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll send an email tomorrow to the security guy and see if I get a response.

I forgot to add a bit to this (for what it's worth). My SC was initially granted working for another company (2014/15) and was due to run for 10 years, i'd worked a couple of non-SC jobs leading up to that role without it ever being a problem.

Thanks again, i'll update when I know more.

edit: Sorry, I forgot one more thing (I don't know if it's useful), I was contracting for an MSP who were contracted for the infrastructure support of a client, and it was the client who revoked/withdrew my SC.

Cheers.
      Last edited by Boss; 22 August 2016, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post
        Thanks for the reply mate. I'll send an email tomorrow to the security guy and see if I get a response.

I forgot to add a bit to this (for what it's worth). My SC was initially granted working for another company (2014/15) and was due to run for 10 years, i'd worked a couple of non-SC jobs leading up to that role without it ever being a problem.

Thanks again, i'll update when I know more.

edit: Sorry, I forgot one more thing (I don't know if it's useful), I was contracting for an MSP who were contracted for the infrastructure support of a client, and it was the client who revoked/withdrew my SC.

Cheers.
        Because the client didn't think your clearance was valid?

Don't be surprised if you don't get a clear answer.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Because the client didn't think your clearance was valid?

Don't be surprised if you don't get a clear answer.
          It was definitely valid, my role required SC and there were no problems for the 9 months I was doing it.

The role I moved into didn't require it, which I guess prompted him to have it revoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post
            Here is an out of the box idea.... Why don't you ring him? That way you've got a better chance to get to the bottom of it. Emailing a guy that doesn't really care anymore isn't the best way forward.

SC clearance is valid for 10 years but it lapses if you don't use it for a year however far in to the 10 years you are.

Cheers.
            Security clearance has to he held by a List X company. It's unlikely your MSP is hence your client owning it. It's their data at risk after all.

Comment

I was working for a bi consultancy which cleared most of its permie staff for certain projects, when they moved to a different non SC project within the same company they were deemed to have kept it despite not being in a role which needed the clearance, when they moved back to a role that required SC (even after 12 months) it was a straight transfer.

I have never known an organisation to revoke it for its staff, but I am not sure how this would sit with contractors, worse case if you only left the SC role in May 2016, it should be good to transfer to any new role, but it will be upto the discretion of the Security team who hold the clearance, but be prepared to get a wall of silence as some places refuse to discuss clearance and it can be arbitrary if they do
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I have never known an organisation to revoke it for its staff, but I am not sure how this would sit with contractors, worse case if you only left the SC role in May 2016, it should be good to transfer to any new role, but it will be upto the discretion of the Security team who hold the clearance, but be prepared to get a wall of silence as some places refuse to discuss clearance and it can be arbitrary if they do
                You are probably right in some cases but what a poor situation. They hold your clearance so must be obligated to discuss it with you but can see how some might not as they are just too far removed to care. The only times I've ever spoken to the Security Teams at my perm gig they were just like HR bods. Ask DoB gave the speil and off I went. The level of people I was speaking to weren't at the level to decide who they do and don't speak to which should work in your favour.

Comment

However, clearance and what constitutes sufficient clearance is heavily aligned to the job in hand and the material you will be using. It's more than possible that your previous clearance did not give enough assurance in some specific area. The default position is to refuse clearance if anything is not clear, or if some other situation has arisen that affects the risk level.

I know someone who lost their SC because his ex-wife was heavily overdrawn on one of his credit cards and the MOD are heavy on financial mis-management since you are then open to coercion. The police, on the other hand, care more about fraud and the like, since they care more about fundamental honesty..

It is something of a myth that SC is portable and can apply anywhere; it can't, it only means you are allowed to see material to a certain level, it doesn't mean you can see all material at that level..
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just as an aside.

When you are granted an SC Clearance, you are informed as the date that it expires, as well as the Department which granted it. If you have a change of circumstances, you can contact the holder and they will inform you whether it is still valid and the date from which they have held it, since your departure.

SC Clearances can be for 5 or 10 years, from the initial date, depending on how your application is processed.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X