• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Bill from Norwegian Tax Authority

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a UK resident and in 2012 i worked in Norway for approx 30 days making about 100,000NOK.

Anyway the contract was between my UK limited company and the company i was contracted to in Norway.

The tax bill they have sent is addressed to me and after speaking to them they seem to totally ignore the UK limited company.

Is this correct and is there any way of showing to them that a UK limited company does not have to pay tax to the Norway.

Thanks

Originally posted by TimTyler View Post
    I am a UK resident and in 2012 i worked in Norway for approx 30 days making about 100,000NOK.

Anyway the contract was between my UK limited company and the company i was contracted to in Norway.

The tax bill they have sent is addressed to me and after speaking to them they seem to totally ignore the UK limited company.

Is this correct and is there any way of showing to them that a UK limited company does not have to pay tax to the Norway.

Thanks
    Were you physically working in Norway. If you were you should have registered with the tax authorities there and been paying tax there
    Last edited by eek; 15 September 2016, 10:48.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I done about 30 days work physically in Norway.

But the signed contract was between my limited company and the company i was working for.

With the interest they've added the tax bill is now almost as much as what i earned and i quite simply do not have this kind of money lying around.

Comment

Agree with Eek.

You should always register with the tax authorities regardless of how short the contract is if you do the work in that country.

i.e. they're correct.

There is one exception and that is if you are a subcontractor to a UK company carrying out a project in Norway and you are not a resident of Norway. Agencies don't count.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks
          I worked in Norway for a short time via my UK Ltd Co. I paid UK tax and there was no problem. As long as your client paid to your UK Ltd Co; you will be OK. It is seems like your Norwegian client co has misunderstood and passed your information on to the tax authorities.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Agree with Eek.

You should always register with the tax authorities regardless of how short the contract is if you do the work in that country.

i.e. they're correct.

There is one exception and that is if you are a subcontractor to a UK company carrying out a project in Norway and you are not a resident of Norway. Agencies don't count.
            OK thanks, so it seems one man band UK limited companies are not recognised.

Anyone had any success in negotiating with interests charges with the Norwegian govt.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I worked in Norway for a short time via my UK Ltd Co. I paid UK tax and there was no problem. As long as your client paid to your UK Ltd Co; you will be OK. It is seems like your Norwegian client co has misunderstood and passed your information on to the tax authorities.
              Nope.

Tax rules in Norway, even if using a UK Ltd are complex. A search on here or Google will reveal that. You may have got lucky, but you may want to set aside some cash for an unexpected bill.

Comment

So are you saying i should contact the client company i was contracting to have made the error?

Any ideas how i can sort this?

Comment

This is just not true I'm afraid, there is no EU/EEA tax harmonisation, would you work in say Australia or Canada and assume you pay no tax there?

People get confused about the four freedoms meaning UK Ltd means UK tax anywhere in EU. It doesn't.

Comment

So are you saying i should contact the client company i was contracting to have made the error?

Any ideas how i can sort this?
                    Don't pick the answer you want to hear. There is no tax error in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X