• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company purchase and associated domain name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company purchase and associated domain name

Hopefully a question the hive mind can help with.

Wife's aunt and uncle have just bought a pub from a brewery, not sure on the full contractual details but they are trying to get the domain name (pubname)(location).com from the brewery but are coming up against a wall of silence.

The website is old and very much out of date, but is still #1 in google searches so not giving the best impression, what would be the best way to get the domain name transferred to MyCo as a holding as no website in google is better than an old one giving lots of wrong info.

Was thinking a legalese letter from MyCo to the brewery rather than the from themselves as they've tried and got no where?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Good luck with this: domain names are assets and breweries are very reluctant to let go of assets. I assume they have made a reasonable offer to purchase the domain name at its commercial value: you won't go anywhere until they have.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Did they buy the pub as a trading business or just the property?

Mail me the URL and I'll have a look and see who the owner is. The ownership of the domain and the answer to the above will tell you how to proceed...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Hopefully a question the hive mind can help with.

Wife's aunt and uncle have just bought a pub from a brewery, not sure on the full contractual details but they are trying to get the domain name (pubname)(location).com from the brewery but are coming up against a wall of silence.

The website is old and very much out of date, but is still #1 in google searches so not giving the best impression, what would be the best way to get the domain name transferred to MyCo as a holding as no website in google is better than an old one giving lots of wrong info.

Was thinking a legalese letter from MyCo to the brewery rather than the from themselves as they've tried and got no where?
        How about the .co.uk domain, is that available?
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          How about the .co.uk domain, is that available?
          The issue there is that the .com sits at the top of google's results and will remain there for months / years and as it has got incorrect details they've got a problem...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If they are leasing the pub from the brewery then then should be no issue in obtaining access to maintain the website, you'll never own the domain name though as its the breweries.

If its buying the freehold then its easier to just register a new domain name and include something like ***New Management - New Website *** in the page headers, it will soon enough rise up through the search ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Did they buy the pub as a trading business or just the property?

Mail me the URL and I'll have a look and see who the owner is. The ownership of the domain and the answer to the above will tell you how to proceed...
              It's owned and registered to the brewery at the moment
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's worth looking at the legas for the purchase of the business.

If there was a Business Purchase Agreement or similar, then look for a section on IP. Yes, does apply to pubs.

If it was just a purchase of bricks and mortar then there is little legal leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Depending on the exact deal it may well be that the domain is implicit in the sale. Quite often when a business is sold all intellectual property to do with the trading name would be part of the deal.
                  But as it's a .com it needs to be done by the owner, which may be the brewery. Check here https://who.is/
                  Good luck.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Erm. Don't wanna pull the old ones out of the bag but surely you need to know what the actual contract says which will dictate your course of action?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X