• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client screwing agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client screwing agent

Last edited by Stevie Wonder Boy; 17 November 2016, 16:19.

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post

I sense an opportunity to discover what the agents margin is, but beyond that I won't be going forward without the agent involved.
    I doubt it. They're not going to screw the agent to line your pocket are they?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I doubt it. They're not going to screw the agent to line your pocket are they?
      If OP is after £500 and agent is trying to charge £700 to client, client's either going to bin the agency off if they don't have many contractors on site or client is going to tell the agency exactly what's happening.

There were a couple of similar stories on here last month. The two-legged horse had a good one.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
        Interesting one developing. So ping CV over. Months go by, agent comes back with an interview. Have the interview, client seems a bit clueless, but hey that's what we do. Client mentions a further interview. Nothing for a week or so.

Now the client is e-mailing me directly and asking for a time for an interview - No CC to the agent, no agent involvement. I've done a generic, how's it going / heard anything sort of e-mail to the agent to see if he responds.

I sense an opportunity to discover what the agents margin is, but beyond that I won't be going forward without the agent involved.

Some slimy bastards out there ...
        My contract with the agency (British) has hand cuffs for 6 months, this is common with agencies and Consultancies.
        My personal opinion is: I would prefer to have a direct contract with the client, unless you have a long term relation with the agencie and is giving you gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          LOL love your naive assumption that the agent is sharing my rate up the line.
          You misunderstand me.
          The client's only reason to shaft the agent is to pay less for you. So they're not likely to tell you what the agent wanted. They're going to strike a deal with you that suits them better.
          You have the opportunity to put your price up and they have the opportunity to pay less for the same resource.

If I assume anything it's that the agent hasn't shared your rate.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

TBH would you trust a client who behaves like this to deal with you fairly.

Comment

You misunderstand me I won't be doing a direct deal as the agent introduced me. You can't accuse agents of being liars and immoral (they are) then engage in the same sort of dodgy activities.
              The handcuff with the agent is likely to be for 6 months.

Engage with the client and find out why they delayed hiring your services.

If there isn't a reasonable explanation e.g. the last agency is now not on the PSL, it's likely they will screw you as well.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You misunderstand me I won't be doing a direct deal as the agent introduced me. You can't accuse agents of being liars and immoral (they are) then engage in the same sort of dodgy activities.

I will be in a proper position, if I want to go forward, to negotiate a rate for myself that fairly sets out the agents margin.
                hear hear.

Good luck.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X