• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hardware Depreciation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware Depreciation

OK, one of the few times doing my own books has got me stumped!

Hardware deprecation is simple 33.3% of the original purchase price each year, but what happens after year 3 as 33.3% + 33.3% + 33.3% is only 99.9% do I just ignore the last 0.1% and assume it has no value so not to be counted in year 4 accounts?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

You would depreciate the remaining 33.4% in the last year if depreciating over 3 years.

Comment

and it is a straight flat line depreciation or not?
      Join IPSE

Comment

How you depreciate it in your books and the amount that can be charged to tax can of course be different.
        Last edited by ASB; 7 November 2016, 09:01.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          OK, one of the few times doing my own books has got me stumped!

Hardware deprecation is simple 33.3% of the original purchase price each year, but what happens after year 3 as 33.3% + 33.3% + 33.3% is only 99.9% do I just ignore the last 0.1% and assume it has no value so not to be counted in year 4 accounts?
          It's not really 33.3% depreciation you're meant to be doing. It's 1/3. 33.33333333333333333333333333% is as close as you'll get in decimal but will never actually be 1/3.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            It's not really 33.3% depreciation you're meant to be doing. It's 1/3. 33.33333333333333333333333333% is as close as you'll get in decimal but will never actually be 1/3.
            And what happens with the remaining 0.0000000000000000000001%?

I always do 25% then you don't have these problems.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And what happens with the remaining 0.0000000000000000000001%?

I always do 25% then you don't have these problems.
              there is a term. De Minimus. It's latin. It's a legal term. It means you can ignore it.

Or just depreciate by a 1/3rd...... that way you do 33.4, 33.3 and 33.3
              And that's more accurate than Sage Line 50 does VAT rounding.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                And that's more accurate than Sage Line 50 does VAT rounding.
                I was now aware sage calculates depreciation.

I always journal it.

The last year of depreciation to contain the balance if there is a decimal issue .... which can be a pain the accounts section of the HMRC tax return when entering fixed asset opening and closing balances in the notes section when rounding back up or down

Comment

Working...
                X