• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Philips Hue lighting systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips Hue lighting systems

Thinking of investing in the Philips Hue light system throughout the house – anyone have any practical experience in using this system?

I’m especially interested in a few things:

1) Can I use the Hue bulbs with a traditional dimmer switch as well as the app and remote (assuming its connected using the Hub)
    2) Whats the colour like on these bulbs?
    3) Does the light come on instantly or is there much of a delay?

Generally, does it work and integrate well with Homekit or the Philips app?

Lastly, any smart shows or similar where I can see the Philips Hue range working in the flesh and able to question the technical aspects of installation, integration, etc?

thanks

IMO the last comment is the most important. You really need to go see them to make any kind of decision. Either that our buy a single bulb to try it. The colour choice can be a bugger with these things. The standard bulb says the colour temperature is 2700K (soft white). On the light scale this is the most yellow and equivalent to old bulbs. I've got halogens in and went for a higher temperature so more white around the house in general. Even Whiter looked good in the bathrooms and kitchen. The soft white was just too yellow for me.

https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/ar...r-temperature/

How they work turning on can be a deciding factor so again you need to see it in the flesh IMO.

No real information on 3rd party dimmers so I'd say you need to stay away from them and get the Philips one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
      Thinking of investing in the Philips Hue light system throughout the house – anyone have any practical experience in using this system?

I’m especially interested in a few things:

1) Can I use the Hue bulbs with a traditional dimmer switch as well as the app and remote (assuming its connected using the Hub)
      2) Whats the colour like on these bulbs?
      3) Does the light come on instantly or is there much of a delay?

Generally, does it work and integrate well with Homekit or the Philips app?

Lastly, any smart shows or similar where I can see the Philips Hue range working in the flesh and able to question the technical aspects of installation, integration, etc?

thanks

This thread should probably be in technical, but I’ve got a few hue bulbs in the house and have bought a load more to install in the new house when it’s ready

But in answer to your questions

1. They should work on a dimmer in terms of on and off, not sure if they would dim via a dimmer switch though
      2. Colour range is vast you won’t be disappointed the latest range has what they’re calling “richer colours” I think I’ve got the older bulbs and the colour range is really good on those
      3. There’s about a second delay but nothing too different from what energy saving lightbulbs

I think they might be compatible with HomeKit, the Philips App is free and pretty good, you can buy other compatible apps if you want more pre-set programmes

I went to Grand Designs recently and Philips had a stand there, and were doing 10% discounts, Gadget Show too, I’ve find the next one near you and pop along, alternatively Maplins have a small display of the bulbs too

Comment

Not an answer to any of your questions, but something i stumbled upon just this morning:

IoT worm can hack Philips Hue lightbulbs, spread across cities • The Register

Comment

Thanks, very useful info indeed.

Some follow up queries:

If I turn off the light using the standard wall light, would I still be able to control that bulb using the app?

Lastly, the bulbs come in two form factors, Bayonet (2-pin) or Edison screw type bulb - which type of fitting is the most common for light fixtures?

thanks again

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
          This thread should probably be in technical, but I’ve got a few hue bulbs in the house and have bought a load more to install in the new house when it’s ready

But in answer to your questions

1. They should work on a dimmer in terms of on and off, not sure if they would dim via a dimmer switch though
          2. Colour range is vast you won’t be disappointed the latest range has what they’re calling “richer colours” I think I’ve got the older bulbs and the colour range is really good on those
          3. There’s about a second delay but nothing too different from what energy saving lightbulbs

I think they might be compatible with HomeKit, the Philips App is free and pretty good, you can buy other compatible apps if you want more pre-set programmes

I went to Grand Designs recently and Philips had a stand there, and were doing 10% discounts, Gadget Show too, I’ve find the next one near you and pop along, alternatively Maplins have a small display of the bulbs too

Comment

If I turn off the light using the standard wall light, would I still be able to control that bulb using the app?
            Yeah course you can. It has its own built in 240v power supply so can operate whether it's got power running to it or not.

Comment

All of the plug in bulbs require the switch to be left on otherwise there is no power flowing to the Bulb. If you want to rewire to operate them separately it will be taken back to the switch see HomeEasyLightwaveRF or similar which replace the switch.

Lightwaverf worked with Megaman to produce dimmable LED / CFL lightbulbs that can be controlled by remote switches so may be the best choice. They also produce a gateway which means you can buy cheap bulbs £1 specials and an £80 gateway.

ES - Edison Screw most common in US & Europe. Common on newer lighting note there is a large & small screw.
              BS - British Standards (Bayonet) most common historically in the UK, ES is slowly replacing. Again large & small.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks, very useful info indeed.
                questions answered by the above two posts - with an added touch of NLUK spice

Comment

As they need to have constant power they are much less suited to ceiling lights or any other lights you'd want to turn on and off from the wall regularly and much better suited to mood lights and table lamps.

I don't have any bulbs but I do have a couple of Hue mood lights. Quality of the light is decent and although I've got the old bridge I have hacked together HomeKit support via my home automation system.

Most of the main lights in my house are connected to LightwaveRF light switches and sockets and I use a third party USB 433Mhz transceiver hooked up to my home automation system to control them (again using the same open source software HomeKit bridge to expose this to my iDevices). They do have a proprietary network control box too.

I find this a lot more flexible, the switches are easy to fit and there are a variety of remote switches (wall switches, mood switches, remotes, PIR and contact switches).

I actually use one of the contact switches on our front door and can use this to trigger alerts when the door is opened. Our cheap doorbell also runs on the same frequency and can be controlled and monitored by the transceiver - I get a notification on my phone when somebody rings the bell (handy if I'm outside).

As I also discovered, our remote also controls our neighbour's kid's remote control fart machine. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from whenever I turned on the dining room lamp!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    As I also discovered, our remote also controls our neighbour's kid's remote control fart machine. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from whenever I turned on the dining room lamp!
                    Please tell me you made that bit up!!!! Funny as f**k. Surprised that wasn't in the Daily Wail with a glum looking kid complaining about the neighbour hacking his fart machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X