• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WH Post Office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WH Post Office

I went to the Post Office in Banbury whilst passing only to discover it had closed. They'd even taped up the letter boxes. The sign on the door said they'd relocated to WH Smiths, and sure enough part of Smiths had been cordoned off and had a couple of Post Office self service tills and a cardboard "postbox" which looked liked it had been made by the local primary school.

Banbury is a fairly large town so it's not like this is a village Post Office with one visitor per week.

Shape of things to come? Apparently the hospital is also under threat of closure, so presumably that'll end up in a corner of Boots.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I went to the Post Office in Banbury whilst passing only to discover it had closed. They'd even taped up the letter boxes. The sign on the door said they'd relocated to WH Smiths, and sure enough part of Smiths had been cordoned off and had a couple of Post Office self service tills and a cardboard "postbox" which looked liked it had been made by the local primary school.

Banbury is a fairly large town so it's not like this is a village Post Office with one visitor per week.

Shape of things to come? Apparently the hospital is also under threat of closure, so presumably that'll end up in a corner of Boots.
    has been the way round here for a long time. Just as Toolstation went into Wickes.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The one in my parents home town became part of the Co Op a few years ago.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

There will be 1 large post office in Westminster for the whole country.

Though there will be 2 hospitals. 1 private in Westminster. And 1 in Wormwood Scrubs for the rest of the country.

Comment

It's been happening for years in London.

Post offices aren't viable on their own so they are put in any shop that will have them.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Always been the case in smaller villages that the post office has been the general store too. More viable model elsewhere since the increase in email and drop off in actual letters sent by individuals.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Always been the case in smaller villages that the post office has been the general store too. More viable model elsewhere since the increase in email and drop off in actual letters sent by individuals.
              People are sending more parcels. In the sub-post offices I used I'm always in a queue of the majority who are parcel senders.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                People are sending more parcels. In the sub-post offices I used I'm always in a queue of the majority who are parcel senders.
                Sadly it's people on zero hour contracts trying to make ends meet via ebay
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It's been happening for years in London.

Post offices aren't viable on their own so they are put in any shop that will have them.
                  Still a bit surprised to see an actual main High Street Post Office in a largeish town close down. I know the small ones have been morphing into corner shops for years.

I guess this also says something about where WH Smiths is going.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X