• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

God > DR plan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God > DR plan

KCL staff offered emotional support, clergy chat to help get over data loss • The Register

Staff at King's College London are now being offered counseling and prayers to help them get over the data loss suffered during October's catastrophic IT failure.

Snowflakes.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Snowflakes.
      I would turn into a snowflake as well if I was forbidden from making my own back up. Though some how I expect those in STEM departments to have their own systems so do what they want.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I would turn into a snowflake as well if I was forbidden from making my own back up. Though some how I expect those in STEM departments to have their own systems so do what they want.
        they make their own backups and confidential information appears on the net unencrypted. Its hard enough to stop them sending restricted technical details to Cuba as part of their job.

Unfortunately users are normally more likely to be stupid than IT.

The failure is that the business thought they didn't need to demand details of DR provision. A bit like not asking for a sales strategy.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

From first hand information they did/do have DR strategy, so the business was "happy" - the problem was it was only a token one, an empty shell. Only on paper and never actually implemented for whatever reason.

As for the STEM departments own IT infrastructure I have worked for 2 Universities (including KCL ). And although historically they have had their separate IT departments and infrastructure in both cases there was a major drive to fold them into a centralised IT department to reduce cost. Not sure how much control the Uni governing body has over individual departments funds but i imagine they can restrict their funding for kit if not staff, leaving them at the mercy of the centralised IT.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            From first hand information they did/do have DR strategy, so the business was "happy" - the problem was it was only a token one, an empty shell. Only on paper and never actually implemented for whatever reason.

As for the STEM departments own IT infrastructure I have worked for 2 Universities (including KCL ). And although historically they have had their separate IT departments and infrastructure in both cases there was a major drive to fold them into a centralised IT department to reduce cost. Not sure how much control the Uni governing body has over individual departments funds but i imagine they can restrict their funding for kit if not staff, leaving them at the mercy of the centralised IT.
            DR provision isn't done until its tested & signed off!

Quarterly / Annual tests are required.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The funny thing is that there was an actual blessing of the exact same kit that failed. With a priest (might have been even a bishop) and holy water etc, the whole shebang.

In that case God < DR Plan

Comment

But we all know Jesus saves....and God does incremental backups.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

I was thinking of the point where individual users had their own copies of their relevant data. I doubt the accounts people would be bothered to back anything up there as if I was putting doing research bid in I would have a copy somewhere.

Oh I met a woman from KCL in the IT department a year or so back. She though most of the others she worked with were lazy feckers.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    She though most of the others she worked with were lazy feckers.
                    IMHO that's the default state for most of the PS. Plenty of hard working people too. The real problem are the clueless feckers at the top.
                    In this case, with KCL the major failing point was the lack of a DR solution, which a prerogative of the higher management/architecture, not the poor feckers that had to restore backups 24/7 for two weeks. And it wasn't lack of funding, but lack of planning/will to implement a DR.

Comment

Working...
                    X