• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgages

For all you guys considering a mortgage at the moment, I'm told by my mortgage guy that Nat West/RBS etc are changing how they assess contractors. See below, its a bit longwinded but handy to know:

From today, the way we assess the income of self-employed contractors earning more than £75,000 a year has changed, as well as the income proofs we require from them.

We will now calculate their income as their average weekly contract income multiplied by 46, provided they can evidence:

· over a 12-month period (incorporating the date of application) they have received or will receive sufficient income from one or more contracts
    · they have received a minimum of 6 months’ income from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application
    · they have had no more than a 6 week break between contracts in the 12-month period
    · their latest 3 months’ consecutive personal bank statements for their main account (not required if their main account is with NatWest or RBS)

To ensure we meet our commitment to responsible lending, when considering the committed expenditure of self-employed contractors earning over £75,000 a year, please ask your customers to take into account any professional fees and expenses relating to their role that will need to be covered on an annual basis. These may include but are not limited to costs such as indemnities, subscriptions, professional memberships and training expenses in order to complete their duties. Extended travel and accommodation costs that are not reimbursed via a contract should also be seen as an expense.

Scenario examples

Acceptable
    · Applicant has received 10 months’ income from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 2 months’ future earnings remaining on one or more contracts.
    We will accept this because the applicant has received at least 6 months’ earnings from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 2 months’ future contracted earnings left to receive that will total 12 months’ earnings.
    · Applicant has received 6 months’ income from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 8 months’ future earnings remaining on one or more contracts.
    We will accept this because the applicant has received at least 6 months’ earnings from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 8 months’ future contracted earnings left to receive that will total 14 months’ earnings. In this instance, we will take the applicant’s historic 6 months’ income together with 6 months of their future contracted earnings to calculate their average weekly income from exactly 12 month.

Unacceptable
    · Applicant has received 6 months’ income from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 4 months’ future earnings remaining on one or more contracts.
    We will not accept this because the applicant is only able to evidence a total of 10 months’ earnings from their contracts and not the minimum requirement of 12 months’ earnings.
    · Applicant has received 3 months’ income from one or more contracts immediately preceding the date of application and has 9 months’ future earnings remaining on one or more contracts.
    We will not accept this because the applicant is only able to evidence a total of 3 months’ earnings from their contracts immediately preceding the date of application and not the minimum requirement of 6 months’.

If you would like to discuss how we can help your contractor customers looking to buy a new property or remortgage an existing one then please do call me.

John Yerou from Freelance Financials posted something about Natwest recently. In fact I think there was another post about another lender as well. Must admit I'm not looking so didn't read it but guess it's this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did your guy say why they're making these changes?

Comment

Can't find the other posts.. Dunno how to search linkedin on my mobile

EDIT : Found out.. There appears to be changes at Santander and Chelsea BS regarding contractors as well. Dunno what though. Fat lot of good I am huh.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 12 December 2016, 16:59.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          Nope. I'll ask though.

Comment

When you say he is your guy? What do you mean by that exactly?

Comment

He's the mortgage broker / IFA I work with.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                RISK
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Doesn't look like much of a mortgage from them then. If I've got this right someone on £500 p/d can get a £ 115,000 is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                    Doesn't look like much of a mortgage from them then. If I've got this right someone on £500 p/d can get a £ 115,000 is that right?
                    Nope £500 a day gives you an income to use for mortgage purposes of £115,000. The next question and the one that is missed out above is how many times income can you borrow...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X