• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Flat Rate - what %?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Flat Rate - what %?

Hi,

What VAT percentage are people on here, if registered for the flat rate scheme?

I'm on 13% (12% in the first year).

I read another post recently suggesting 11%.

Having filled in forms saying I'm a consultant, I guess I'll be sticking with the 13% rate, unless there is another potential rate, if I change my job description a little?!

It all depends on the nature of your business and the kind of consultancy you do. If you dont specifically provide IT consultancy,Comupter consultancy ( apart from computer repair which is 11% anyway ) or Management Consultancy then you can make an argument for "Business services not listed elsewhere" which gets you in at 11% - 10% for the first year.

Peronally I provide Audit, Governance, Information Security and Risk Management services none of which, I belive, could be classed as IT related or as specifically Managment Consultancy.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It sounds like you are on the right rate, ie 13% (12% in year one) - the other rates are used if they genuinely fit what you do. On application the VAT people will generally accept what you describe yourself as, however if they pay you a visit and have an issue with the percentage you use you can store up problems for the future.

Comment

Looks like I'll be sticking with 13% then!

Comment

Working...
        X