• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Refund Interim dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refund Interim dividends

Thanks in advance for advice...

Can I repay interim dividends that I have taken from my Ltd company?

And if so how is this done? Simply pay from private bank account to Ltd company account?
    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
    Thanks in advance for advice...

Can I repay interim dividends that I have taken from my Ltd company?

And if so how is this done? Simply pay from private bank account to Ltd company account?
    Yes you can. Exactly like that.
    If it was in your personal account for short-term then you may be better off classifying as a loan (but check with your accountant).

Mind you I don't really understand why interim dividends are used. It smells like a lack of planning (and refunding them confirms it). Why not simply pay dividends when there is sufficient profit in the company and you need it?
    There is a small risk that using interim divis and refunding them, if done a lot, is abusive avoidance and they should have been listed as loans anyway.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

http://www.companybug.com/guide-to-i...to-avoid-them/

As per Lance and a link to the same subject found with a quick Google
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 12:00.
      "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Yes you can. Exactly like that.
        If it was in your personal account for short-term then you may be better off classifying as a loan (but check with your accountant).

Mind you I don't really understand why interim dividends are used. It smells like a lack of planning (and refunding them confirms it). Why not simply pay dividends when there is sufficient profit in the company and you need it?
        There is a small risk that using interim divis and refunding them, if done a lot, is abusive avoidance and they should have been listed as loans anyway.
        I use interim dividends purely for convenience of having a money regularly, which helps me manage my bills better. I suspect most contractors take monthly dividends. Its just that I have been fortunate to have been given some money and I thought why not pay back my dividends and reduce my tax liability.
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

I use interim dividends purely for convenience of having a money regularly, which helps me manage my bills better. I suspect most contractors take monthly dividends. Its just that I have been fortunate to have been given some money and I thought why not pay back my dividends and reduce my tax liability.
          You'll be OK with it as a loan if just a one off.

For what it's worth.... Weaning yourself off the teat of monthly income is good.
          It aids financial planning.
          Also makes benchtime much easier to sustain financially.
          And helps build a bigger warchest as well.
          I do 3 or 4 divis per year, and when I do 4 it's because I failed to foresee something that I probably could have done if I'd though about it better.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Why isn't your accountant providing you tax planning to withdraw the dividends in the most efficient manner even if you've been given some money and may not need it and if you aren't sticking to it why aren't you using them to help you make sure you don't get stung?

I wouldn't assume that's what most contractors do. The smart contractor would be withdrawing the max dividends as soon as they can, the total lot on the first possible day if funds allow. Might as well get it out of the business bank earning nothing and get it in to something that might earn some interest. Takes a bit of personal budgeting but it's not rocket science.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't really understand finance, do you...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X