PDA

View Full Version : UK and US can lead world again, May says

scooterscot
26th January 2017, 08:26
Someone better tell China. 'Look out!' US and UK coming through.

I managed a few paragraphs before nearly :puke: about this 'special relationship'. Give it up already. We've milked that one so much we're only sucking up grizzle.

Theresa May is to vow to renew the UK's special relationship with the US "for this new age" as she prepares to meet Donald Trump for the first time.

She travels to Philadelphia later to address Republican leaders at an event attended by the US president.
She will tell them that after Brexit, a "sovereign, global" Britain wants to enhance ties with its "old friends".

On Friday, Mrs May will be the first world leader to hold face-to-face talks with Mr Trump in the White House.
Post-Brexit trade opportunities, security and intelligence co-operation and the future of Nato are likely to feature significantly in the talks.

Source: Theresa May says US and UK can lead world again, ahead of Trump meeting - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38747979)

shaunbhoy
26th January 2017, 08:47
What else would you expect her to say, just for clarity?

vetran
26th January 2017, 09:06
What else would you expect her to say, just for clarity?

I'm a sad brexiteer, I have now seen the light please let us back into the EU we will do anything even being annexed by Romania.We promise not to question your expenses or accounts.

tomtomagain
26th January 2017, 09:08
You should be hoping that she can assert some sort of calming influence on him.

Fortunately he does appear to like the UK.

He doesn't appear to be overly enamoured with the EU in general and Germany in particular. I think it's because the Germans expelled his grandfather. (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/21/trump-grandfather-friedrich-banished-germany-historian-royal-decree) He does strike me as the kind of man to hold a grudge.

NigelJK
26th January 2017, 09:08
I'm a sad brexiteer

IIRC she swung both ways.

vetran
26th January 2017, 09:20
IIRC she swung both ways.

:whoosh:

Blackadder : Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
Baldrick : Yeah! It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron.

vetran
26th January 2017, 09:22
I think it's because the Germans expelled his grandfather.[/URL] He does strike me as the kind of man to hold a grudge.

Another draft dodger - watch out middle east!

SueEllen
26th January 2017, 09:49
Another draft dodger - watch out middle east!

Trump ain't happy with Israel.

... but then he's banning Muslims.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 10:15
Although, if past history is anything to go by, Britain has managed to do relatively well for a thousand years.

VectraMan
26th January 2017, 10:34
When did the UK and US lead the world before? Or are we confusing "lead" with "conquer"?

If Trump does turn out to be a complete disaster for the planet, then I suppose it's probably true that we'd be better off sucking up to him. The UK will be like the dumb kid that follows the bully around.

tomtomagain
26th January 2017, 10:40
Although, if past history is anything to go by, Britain has managed to do relatively well for a thousand years.

Yeah, the strategy of sticking close to the American's has worked out pretty well for the last 100 years, all things considering.

Trump is pretty easy to work out. He is a bully with a huge ego. He doesn't want to be standard politician - he wants to get things done. Quickly.

"America First" and "Hire American, Buy American" tells you pretty much what you need to know about him.

I reckon he see's a great opportunity with BREXIT. Basically get the UK into a FTA with the US to replace the current arrangement with the EU ( which the EU don't want us to maintain ). So UK consumers can Buy American, American firms will be bullied and bribed into Hiring American, and Trump can claim the credit for a US manufacturing renaissance.

Of course the EU can easily head this threat off by continuing free trade with the UK but they won't because their principals will get in the way.

The principled go head-to-head with the unprincipled. My money is on the Americans.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 10:44
Yeah, the strategy of sticking close to the American's has worked out pretty well for the last 100 years, all things considering.

Trump is pretty easy to work out. He is a bully with a huge ego. He doesn't want to be standard politician - he wants to get things done. Quickly.

"America First" and "Hire American, Buy American" tells you pretty much what you need to know about him.

I reckon he see's a great opportunity with BREXIT. Basically get the UK into a FTA with the US to replace the current arrangement with the EU ( which the EU don't want us to maintain ). So UK consumers can Buy American, American firms will be bullied and bribed into Hiring American, and Trump can claim the credit for a US manufacturing renaissance.

Of course the EU can easily head this threat off by continuing free trade with the UK but they won't because their principals will get in the way.

The principled go head-to-head with the unprincipled. My money is on the Americans.

You and I know the UK/USA relationship is one step in many and it's total off-pieste in relation to my comment. I'll repeat it: Britain has done well for a long period of time - hundreds of years. Perhaps her time is up, but I very much doubt it.

BlasterBates
26th January 2017, 10:47
Britain's time isn't up, far from it, but it's back to the 70's, stagflation

:D

tomtomagain
26th January 2017, 10:56
You and I know the UK/USA relationship is one step in many and it's total off-pieste in relation to my comment. I'll repeat it: Britain has done well for a long period of time - hundreds of years. Perhaps her time is up, but I very much doubt it.

I know. I was agreeing with you. I just wanted to get my "Trump Rant" off my chest.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 10:58
I know. I was agreeing with you. I just wanted to get my "Trump Rant" off my chest.

Oops, sorry. I'm in defence of Britain mode!

Paddy
26th January 2017, 11:00
May's trade plan

http://www.geocities.ws/larwilson2001/slave_triangle.JPG

vetran
26th January 2017, 11:05
May's trade plan

pity WE abolished slavery then.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 11:09
May's trade plan

Good to see Ireland labelled Britain. :tongue

Fronttoback
26th January 2017, 11:10
Scooter - are you one of these annoying "I told you so" people?

Why don't you take a different view on brexit and help fix the problem? With your skills your could move to the UK, educate people into better jobs, pay lots of tax into the UK coffers and help redress the pending downturn.

Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?

Eirikur
Victorian times are here again

Paddy
Slavery was abolished on 1 August 1834 under the Abolition of Slavery Act 1834 and 20 million pounds was set aside by the British government to compensate slave owners.

The Slave Compensation Commission was set up under the act to estimate the value of slaves and to investigate claims for compensation. The Commission was ended in 1842 but one commissioner was appointed to adjudicate on outstanding claims. The records of the Slave Compensation Commission are in the National Archives in the series T 71.

The commissioners were interested in the value of slaves and evidence of ownership and, therefore, information on slaves as individuals is very limited. However, some information can be found, especially for slaves who had not been registered and those born after the last registration and before emancipation.

Evidence on the value of slaves was collected and has been preserved as exhibits. Exhibits are not indexed but include the returns of sales of slaves; for example, through the local court of chancery or marshal's office to recover taxes and debts. Slaves are often named in the exhibits and they may give relationships especially when a mother and her children were sold together. The prices paid for slaves were used to establish general values for compensation, with each slave having a different value based on their age and their work.

The National Debt Office was responsible for the payment of compensation awards and the records are in NDO 4. The records include payment books showing the sum awarded, together with miscellaneous accounts, correspondence and some death and marriage certificates. Other compensation claims are in AO 14/37-48.

Note; owners such as Barclays were compensated but not the slaves.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] UK Government Web Archive – The National Archives (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20131105190312/http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/caribbean/slaves/slaveregister4.htm)

scooterscot
26th January 2017, 11:22

Why don't you take a different view on brexit and help fix the problem? With your skills your could move to the UK, educate people into better jobs, pay lots of tax into the UK coffers and help redress the pending downturn.

"I told you so" is the British way is it not? We've been dishing that out since the EU's inception. Why not get on board?

Our family life in the EU is in jeopardy because we don't know if our status will be maintained whilst we're used as a bargaining chip. We're alienated by our government. I'm not alone.

Now I'm told to get on board with the circumstance that is stressing us out? The audacity.

The problem is ignorance, apathy, self serving politicians. This is only 'solved' once we reach the bottom. Personally the quicker we get there the sooner problems can be solved.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 11:32
"I told you so" is the British way is it not? We've been dishing that out since the EU's inception. Why not get on board?

Our family life in the EU is in jeopardy because we don't know if our status will be maintained whilst we're used as a bargaining chip. We're alienated by our government. I'm not alone.

Now I'm told to get on board with the circumstance that is stressing us out? The audacity.

The problem is ignorance, apathy, self serving politicians. This is only 'solved' once we reach the bottom. Personally the quicker we get there the sooner problems can be solved.

What was it May said in her Lancaster House speech.

"6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."

VectraMan
26th January 2017, 11:35

That's all we've heard from the Brexiters for years. Go back before the referendum and ask: why don't you take a different view on the EU and help fix the problem? Why be so negative? Why not look forward and help?

alreadypacked
26th January 2017, 11:46
It's a bit like Spain and France saying we can lead the world again :laugh

UK & US, look behind you, it's done, get over it. :tongue

WTFH
26th January 2017, 11:53
Lead the world in what?

If only Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was still on TV. I hear Trump is looking for brickies.

northernladyuk
26th January 2017, 12:00
May's trade plan

Good to see Ireland labelled Britain. :tongue

After Brexit we set sail for America, says May (http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/after-brexit-we-set-sail-for-america-says-may-20170117120384)

After Brexit we set sail for America, says May
17-01-17

THERESA May told Britain today that once a clean Brexit is achieved, Britain will weigh anchor and sail across the Atlantic to the New World.

The prime minister outlined her plan to cut all ties with the continent including geographical ones, leaving Britain free to roam the world with impunity.

She continued: “We cannot hold on to bits of European membership, apart from free trade, bank passporting and a few others, so to continue being physically linked to it is more than Britain can bear.

“In March 2019, once clean Brexit has been achieved and the EU’s population instructed not to even look at us without permission, Britain’s vast sails will be erected and we depart for America dragging the Chunnel behind us.

“And if America proves inhospitable then perhaps Australia or Africa or simply a merry life of piracy on the high seas.

“Oh, and Ireland’s coming with us as a hostage.

vetran
26th January 2017, 12:05
Note; owners such as Barclays were compensated but not the slaves.

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] UK Government Web Archive – The National Archives (http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20131105190312/http://www.movinghere.org.uk/galleries/roots/caribbean/slaves/slaveregister4.htm)

It was incredible that they managed to abolish slavery, the compensation was a bribe to the owners to allow them to do it. It nearly didn't happen. No that isn't fair.

Many other countries carried on with Slavery for decades Nutters such as Daesh are still into it.

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 12:06
Victorian times are here again

Does this mean that architecture will improve? Please say it is so.

tomtomagain
26th January 2017, 12:37
Does this mean that architecture will improve? Please say it is so.

I for one am looking forward to the construction of some iconic bridges. And what's not to love about travelling by steam train?

darmstadt
26th January 2017, 13:33
It was incredible that they managed to abolish slavery, the compensation was a bribe to the owners to allow them to do it. It nearly didn't happen. No that isn't fair.

Many other countries carried on with Slavery for decades Nutters such as Daesh are still into it.

It still goes on, albeit illegally, just one of a few cases in recent years: Sports Direct modern slavery brothers jailed - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-38721900)

The_Equalizer
26th January 2017, 13:45
It still goes on, albeit illegally, just one of a few cases in recent years: Sports Direct modern slavery brothers jailed - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-38721900)

Won't happen after Brexit. :wink

SueEllen
26th January 2017, 13:57
Won't happen after Brexit. :wink

Modern slavery includes bonded labour.

Have some conversations with some Bobs and you will find out some of them are in what appears to be bonded labour.

original PM
26th January 2017, 14:01
Well slavery is still pretty rife (http://www.colorlines.com/articles/where-slavery-still-exists)

In a single country — India, which is the worst offender — there are currently 18 and a half million slaves. To put that into perspective, there are six and a half million more slaves in India right now than were imported to North America, South America, Central America, and the Caribbean Islands combined during the entire history of the transatlantic slave trade — 373 years, from Columbus’s discovery of the Americas to the end of the Civil War.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436205/slavery-still-exists

scooterscot
26th January 2017, 14:09
Echt!

"USA is going insular with "America First", the UK has voted for isolation and a backwards looking "Little England".

Lead the world?

This is the blind leading the blind down the pan. "

shaunbhoy
26th January 2017, 14:34
Echt!

"USA is going insular with "America First", the UK has voted for isolation and a backwards looking "Little England".

Lead the world?

This is the blind leading the blind down the pan. "

You'll be fine. You have already run away to Germany. Angela will look after you, as long as you are prepared to rent your spare room out to a refugee!

:laugh

original PM
26th January 2017, 14:35
You'll be fine. You have already run away to Germany. Angela will look after you, as long as you are prepared to rent your spare room and your arse out to a refugee!

:laugh

FTFY

:tongue

SueEllen
26th January 2017, 14:41
Unfair - immigrants going to Germany are fussy.

shaunbhoy
26th January 2017, 14:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI

Made I larf!!! :laugh