• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made a mistake??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a mistake??

Right, bagged myself a 3 month role back in september......contract is ending in 3 weeks time.

Had to work really hard for the 1st month and a half due to the huge workload and the lack of resources, the company corrected that and brought in 3 contractors and 2 permies.....

So I am thinking...hmmm renewal time is going to be interesting, but I did really well for them and they constantly praised me, etc....

so three weeks to go, I thought I would ask the question for renewal (started to look for jobs already), asked it yesterday and was told I wasn't going to be renewed and they will shorten my contract by one week....

Reason was no more work is coming through at the moment.....

I knew it was quiet, and that there was no work on, should I have kept my gob shut....accepted in my heart that there was no renewal available....but at least I would have had an extra week???

Thought please...

Originally posted by wantacontract
    Right, bagged myself a 3 month role back in september......contract is ending in 3 weeks time.

Had to work really hard for the 1st month and a half due to the huge workload and the lack of resources, the company corrected that and brought in 3 contractors and 2 permies.....

So I am thinking...hmmm renewal time is going to be interesting, but I did really well for them and they constantly praised me, etc....

so three weeks to go, I thought I would ask the question for renewal (started to look for jobs already), asked it yesterday and was told I wasn't going to be renewed and they will shorten my contract by one week....

Reason was no more work is coming through at the moment.....

I knew it was quiet, and that there was no work on, should I have kept my gob shut....accepted in my heart that there was no renewal available....but at least I would have had an extra week???

Thought please...
    do them a favour and leave now, go find another gig
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

yeah..

well, if I find another gig before end of the month, yeah, otherwise stay and have a quiet 2 weeks....

Comment

That's the joy of contracting. They would probably have got rid of you anyway, but not bothered to tell you until the last minute.

Chalk it down to experiance and look for another gig.

Comment

Used to work for BT...they would only do renewals for 1 month at a time (did 9 of my 12 months with them in this way) and they would never tell you if you were being extended until right at the end of the last day...(usually about 10 minutes before you went home)

When it got to the end of my last month and it was 16:45 (15 mins before I left) they panicked and offered me another month... I said no thanks, got another gig....They were thoroughly p*ssed off!

Comment

hmmmmmmm

they've come back today to offer me a permanent job.....

needless to say..its going to be a no...

I didn't set out to be a contractor to turn back after the first contract...

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract
              They don't owe you anything, just move on and forget. Next.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

i know they don't owe me anything...the point was if I had not mentioned anything...would it have just gone under the radar.....

anyway, not that bothered...just wanted some opinions, to know for future..

Comment

I think you're always better off asking in advance, rather than waiting. Alright, so you might have got an extra week if you'd kept your mouth shut this time. But you might have just had the contract cancelled early without knowing anyway. At least this way, you know to be on the hunt.

It's also a good time to be asking them for referrals/recommendations for other projects or clients that they might be aware of...
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

thanks xlmonkey

hmmm, when I find out 2 days ago, i wasn't that bothered...but right now...its bothered me....

I feel annoyed....

Its more to do with the feeling of rejection then worrying about money....

Ok, a little bit to do with the money...but I got enough to last me through til Feb/March, depending on how careful I am with XMAS....

so why am I bothered??

Comment

Working...
                    X