PDA

View Full Version : Theresa May reduces border security budget

sasguru
7th June 2017, 11:15
Because that is what we want:

Border security budget to fall by £2 million, Theresa May confirms (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/border-security-budget-to-fall-by-2-million-theresa-may-confirms/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb)

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 11:16

Border security budget to fall by £2 million, Theresa May confirms (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/20/border-security-budget-to-fall-by-2-million-theresa-may-confirms/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb)

From the 20/4/2016..........................I know you are a bit slow but do at least try and keep within a calendar year of the rest of us!
:laugh

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 11:16

Seems fair enough. Anyone who actually wants to enter the UK now must be up to no good.

sasguru
7th June 2017, 11:19
From the 20/4/2016..........................I know you are a bit slow but do at least try and keep within a calendar year of the rest of us!

What about this one:

This is the reality of Theresa May's record on terror as Home Secretary | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/london-attack-theresa-may-police-cuts-election-2017-unflattering-light-a7774326.html)

"According to latest Home Office figures, the number of police in England and Wales fell by 18,991, or 13 per cent, between September 2010 and September 2016, when it stood at 122,859.

Within that, the number of authorised firearms officers dropped from 6,976 in March 2010 to 5,639 in March 2016"

My point is that she's responsible for cuts in security

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 11:22

So you're saying that this was before the Italian-Moroccan terrorist, who was on the EU watchlist, entered the UK, so it doesn't count?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/07/ilford-arrest-in-london-bridge-attack-investigation

OwlHoot
7th June 2017, 11:44

Chortle! :laugh

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 12:52
So you're saying that this was before the Italian-Moroccan terrorist, who was on the EU watchlist, entered the UK, so it doesn't count?

No, that is not what I am saying as well you know.

The fact that this incident was resolved in 8 minutes points strongly to the fact that our front-line response capability has not been undermined.

HTH BIDI
:eyes

PurpleGorilla
7th June 2017, 12:55
Chickens coming home to roost now...

PurpleGorilla
7th June 2017, 12:57

The fact that this incident was resolved in 8 minutes points strongly to the fact that our front-line response capability has not been undermined.

HTH BIDI

They were flagged to police before the attack, maybe cuts to police meant that the resources were not available to assess the risk and prevent the attack in the first place.

WTFH
7th June 2017, 12:58
Border security isn't important, after all Brexit was nothing about having control over our borders or anything like that, so cuts to border security must be encouraged :eyes:

Shame that some on here think it's a good idea to reduce security and make sure that terrorists are free to enter the country when they want.

Once they are in the country, they are then better off with the reduced police force that the former Home Secretary pushed through, again, people voting for her are saying they are happy with that.

It is only due to the hard work of the over-stretched, under-resourced police that more people were not killed. The current government should not be praised for anything relating to great performance of the police.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 13:06
They were flagged to police before the attack, maybe cuts to police meant that the resources were not available to assess the risk and prevent the attack in the first place.

Maybe, but then again maybe not.
I am not suggesting that cuts are a good thing, but the cuts were much more likely to have been made in the bloated back office battalions that most police forces seem to have.
It will be no bad thing to spend more on targeting terrorism, but people need to stop just using historical cost-cutting exercises as a stick with which to beat the PM because they have another agenda.

PurpleGorilla
7th June 2017, 13:07
Maybe, but then again maybe not.
I am not suggesting that cuts are a good thing, but the cuts were much more likely to have been made in the bloated back office battalions that most police forces seem to have.
It will be no bad thing to spend more on targeting terrorism, but people need to stop just using historical cost-cutting exercises as a stick with which to beat the PM because they have another agenda.

Well the inquiry will help answer that.

original PM
7th June 2017, 13:13
Well the inquiry will help answer that.

Unless it's run be people who want to create a stick to beat the PM with.....

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 13:15
Maybe we could reskill those Police that man speed traps to watch out for terrorists?

Doesn't seem to have been much of a scaling back of their numbers!!
:mad

PurpleGorilla
7th June 2017, 13:20
Unless it's run be people who want to create a stick to beat the PM with.....

The stick is ready and waiting, it was made to beat Tony Blair with, but is still pristine and immaculate.

grabri
7th June 2017, 13:31

I think that cuts initiated 1 year ago are highly significant to the operational effectiveness of the border force now - why would you think otherwise?

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 13:33
I think that cuts initiated 1 year ago are highly significant to the operational effectiveness of the border force now - why would you think otherwise?

A £2M cut probably means that they no longer get free coffee/tea on shift.
It is a drop in the ocean as regards their total budget.

grabri
7th June 2017, 13:40
A £2M cut probably means that they no longer get free coffee/tea on shift.
It is a drop in the ocean as regards their total budget.

I agree that highly significant is probably over-egging it, but you were dismissing it as irrelevant...and once the tea & coffee goes there goes the morale....

But a 0.4% decrease in the year, when in actual fact they were calling out for an increase in the wake of the attacks in Brussels and Paris surely is indicative of how seriously May has listened to our police and security forces... and to stand up now and echo their 'enough is enough' slogan must really piss them off.

darmstadt
7th June 2017, 14:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-vF1C-BZ0&feature=youtu.be&t=732

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2015-11-18/debates/15111852000028/Engagements

grabri
7th June 2017, 14:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-vF1C-BZ0&feature=youtu.be&t=732

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2015-11-18/debates/15111852000028/Engagements

Thanks, very interesting exchange from ~10:55

sasguru
7th June 2017, 14:57
Maybe we could reskill those Police that man speed traps to watch out for terrorists?

Doesn't seem to have been much of a scaling back of their numbers!!
:mad

Which kills more people in any year in any Western country - road accidents or terrorists?:rolleyes:

AtW
7th June 2017, 15:16
Which kills more people in any year in any Western country - road accidents or terrorists?:rolleyes:

Diesel engines...

PurpleGorilla
7th June 2017, 15:31
Diesel engines...

Smoking.

WTFH
7th June 2017, 15:33
Heart Disease.

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 15:38

HTH BIDI

What does the speed of response have to do with the fact that the terrorist got through border security when he was on the EU watchlist? Are you utterly thick or simply obfuscating?

WTFH
...Although if you are in the US, you are twice as likely to be killed by a toddler who has a gun than a terrorist.

northernladyuk
Smoking.

Thatcherism.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 15:48
What does the speed of response have to do with the fact that the terrorist got through border security when he was on the EU watchlist? Are you utterly thick or simply obfuscating?

Well as long as we remain in your beloved EU, the ability of the Border Controllers is pretty limited anyway.

But come the Revolution.............

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 15:53
Well as long as we remain in your beloved EU, the ability of the Border Controllers is pretty limited anyway.

But come the Revolution.............

To repeat: What does the speed of response have to do with the fact that the terrorist got through border security when he was on the EU watchlist?

The UK (and Ireland - to cover off the Common Travel Area) has all the powers it needs to stop EU citizens from entering the country if they are on the watchlist.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 16:01
To repeat: What does the speed of response have to do with the fact that the terrorist got through border security when he was on the EU watchlist?

The OP made the point that the cuts in Police numbers had adversely affected security.

My point was that, the response time being so impressive suggested that the cuts in Police numbers had not really had any material impact on countering these major incidents.

Following the plot is not really one of your strong suits is it?

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 16:06

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/07/ilford-arrest-in-london-bridge-attack-investigation

HTH BIDI

The OP made the point that the cuts in Police numbers had adversely affected security.

My point was that, the response time being so impressive suggested that the cuts in Police numbers had not really had any material impact on countering these major incidents.

So... did the OP make the point that the cuts in police numbers had adversely affected security or that the reduction in the border security budget had adversely affected security? The clue is in the thread title.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 16:11
So... did the OP make the point that the cuts in police numbers had adversely affected security

Well let's see what he wrote shall we?......

What about this one:

This is the reality of Theresa May's record on terror as Home Secretary | The Independent

"According to latest Home Office figures, the number of police in England and Wales fell by 18,991, or 13 per cent, between September 2010 and September 2016, when it stood at 122,859.

Within that, the number of authorised firearms officers dropped from 6,976 in March 2010 to 5,639 in March 2016"

My point is that she's responsible for cuts in security

QED

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 16:14
Well let's see what he wrote shall we?......

QED

That wasn't in our conversation chain. See above.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 16:45
That wasn't in our conversation chain. See above.

Only because you chose to omit it though.

Did the OP clearly state what I quoted or did he not?

No point in you disingenuously cherrypicking subsets of the main thrust of his points now, is there?

Makes you look even more silly than normal:wink

northernladyuk
7th June 2017, 17:06
Only because you chose to omit it though.

Did the OP clearly state what I quoted or did he not?

No point in you disingenuously cherrypicking subsets of the main thrust of his points now, is there?

Makes you look even more silly than normal:wink

You are now ignoring the thread of our conversation and the topic of the thread. We will have to just agree that you are a stupid cock.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 17:15
You are now ignoring the direction I attempted to take the thread in. We will have to just agree that I, in tandem with the OP, am a bit of a cock.

ftfy
:wink

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 17:21
Border Force resource budget will be £558.1m for 2016/17 – a cut of 0.4% on last year – but the agency gets a capital spending boost

Passport check
Day-to-day funding for the Border Force will be cut by 0.4% in the coming year, Theresa May has announced.

The agency’s resource budget will be £558.1m for 2016/17, a reduction of 0.4% on last year.

The home secretary said spending was protected “to all intents and purposes” because capital spending on Border Force projects is set to rise by more than 40% to £68m.

So, as usual, the OP gets his facts wrong.

Quelle surprise.

xoggoth
7th June 2017, 18:37
So, as usual, the OP gets his facts wrong

I like CUK forum to be polite, SB, it's really not acceptable to call him an Obnoxious Prat.

shaunbhoy
7th June 2017, 19:50
I like CUK forum to be polite, SB, it's really not acceptable to call him an Obnoxious Prat.

How about Odious Plank or Obfuscating Pillock?
:wink