PDA

View Full Version : Paying Cash in Hand

Big Blue Plymouth
12th July 2017, 11:41
link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4687412/Middle-class-families-told-not-cash.html)

Report said those paying cash-in-hand to get a discount were not ‘good citizens’

I pay cash in hand for some stuff - the local guy who does my plastering for example. He's only charging £100 per day so , frankly, I don't really begrudge him with his creative accounting and I don't see why I should be made complicit in tax evasion - the onus is surely on him?

Anyhow, that "not good citizens" line is fecking creepy.

vetran
12th July 2017, 11:45
hmm

He said migrants should be barred from operating on a cash-in-hand basis, urging ministers to make it a condition of new work permits for migrants to show they could take electronic payments.

bloody racist.

now have they worked out why travellers on benefits always have brand new cars?

SueEllen
12th July 2017, 12:07
Fecking racist. My Polish builder is so proud of living in Britain he pays the right taxes. There as my British fencer openly admitted screwing the taxman.

MarillionFan
12th July 2017, 12:32
Fecking racist. My Polish builder is so proud of living in Britain he pays the right taxes. There as my British fencer openly admitted screwing the taxman.

What do you fence?

Fronttoback
12th July 2017, 12:44

On the one hand you object to cash in hand but on the other you are fencing stolen goods.

HYPOCRIT!

PurpleGorilla
12th July 2017, 12:53
Your local cash in hand builder still pays more tax than Starbucks or apple.

scooterscot
12th July 2017, 13:41

That's just the beginning... there are rulzes for naughty people like you.

OwlHoot
12th July 2017, 14:40

I insist on paying cash in hand, as I feel every penny denied by hook or by crook to the Government makes the UK a freer country.

A flush government is a tyranny, either established or in the making, and a skint government means freedom (and feck the NHS!)

But being a smoker, I unfortunately pay more than my "fair share" of taxes.

sal
12th July 2017, 15:14
He said migrants should be barred from operating on a cash-in-hand basis, urging ministers to make it a condition of new work permits for migrants to show they could take electronic payments.

Catch 22, Banks ask for employment contract or evidence of self employment just to open a current account. How on earth are they going to setup someone to receive electronic (presumably card) payments (as anyone can receive electronic bank transfers)

FrontEnder
12th July 2017, 15:17
Catch 22, Banks ask for employment contract or evidence of self employment just to open a current account. How on earth are they going to setup someone to receive electronic (presumably card) payments (as anyone can receive electronic bank transfers)

They don't (or shouldn't) for a basic bank account though.

scooterscot
12th July 2017, 15:30
But being a smoker, I unfortunately pay more than my "fair share" of taxes.

And so you should. The NHS spends between £5-6 billion a year treating people with smoking related diseases. Whether that is recovered from taxes is not transparent.

I'd like to see taxes on alcohol raised mahusively to counter the estimated £21 billion cost of treating related diseases, drink is still far too cheap in the UK considering how much it is abused.

Fatty foods should could be the next target. This one time I was in Newport for a client, thought I was wearing fat glasses.

MrMarkyMark
12th July 2017, 15:50
And so you should. The NHS spends between £5-6 billion a year treating people with smoking related diseases. Whether that is recovered from taxes is not transparent.

I'd like to see taxes on alcohol raised mahusively to counter the estimated £21 billion cost of treating related diseases, drink is still far too cheap in the UK considering how much it is abused.

Fatty foods should could be the next target. This one time I was in Newport for a client, thought I was wearing fat glasses.

We know they bring in about £12 billion in direct tax revenues, although that doesn't count other contributions of the tobacco industry to total tax take (for instance income tax paid by employees).

And the cost side of this equation is even trickier to pin down.

Estimates suggest costs anywhere between £3 billion and £6 billion for NHS treatments in a given year. In the longer term the total cost might be lower, since some of those who die prematurely due to smoking might otherwise have gone on to cost the service even more money due to other health conditions.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

BrilloPad
12th July 2017, 16:20
link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4687412/Middle-class-families-told-not-cash.html)

I pay cash in hand for some stuff - the local guy who does my plastering for example. He's only charging £100 per day so , frankly, I don't really begrudge him with his creative accounting and I don't see why I should be made complicit in tax evasion - the onus is surely on him?

Interesting how a government initiative to protect workers just ends up being a tax grab....

SueEllen
12th July 2017, 16:22
On the one hand you object to cash in hand but on the other you are fencing stolen goods.

HYPOCRIT!

What the feck?

British fencer = person who put fence up in my garden.

SueEllen
12th July 2017, 16:23

You can't use a basic bank account for business purposes....

OwlHoot
12th July 2017, 16:34

Has it ever occurred to you that if the NHS was privatized and people paid for their own health insurance, the state wouldn't need to worry about any of this nannying?

(except in extreme cases, a la gin crisis of the 18th century and the Defence of the Realm act limiting beer strengths and suchlike)

Brummie
12th July 2017, 16:36
...Fatty foods should could be the next target...

You might reconsider your opinion on Fatty foods, if you really know how the companies sponsor so called medical studies and come with a solution product. It's like BBC's constant negative Brexit stories. For a starter you can read how millions of Americans became fat overnight (http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/9806/17/weight.guidelines/)

OwlHoot
12th July 2017, 16:41

and these days opening a business bank account in the UK is practically as complex and fraught as the Brexit negotiations! :eek

I recently received a form to open a Cater Allen business account, and the form had more sections than Magna Carta! :eek:

Troll
12th July 2017, 17:45

I'd hate to live in any country with you in chage

SueEllen
12th July 2017, 17:46
I'd hate to live in any country with you in chage

Chage?

Troll
12th July 2017, 17:50

Strange .. the Polish workers who were somehow engaged at a recent Data Centre build were quite open about abusing the family allowance for non existent kids back in Poland, their view was if they could get away with it then why not

You must have a different kind of Polish builder

SueEllen
12th July 2017, 17:55
Strange .. the Polish workers who were somehow engaged at a recent Data Centre build were quiet open about abusing the family allowance for non existent kids back in Poland, their view was if they could get away with it then why not

You must have a different kind of Polish builder

His kids are at school in the UK.

He basically bought a falling apart house did it up, and used it to get more work.

From the looks of things he intended to stay here hence not ripping of HMRC.

Anyway like British people not everyone who is Polish is the same.

vetran
12th July 2017, 18:21
I'd hate to live in any country with you

FTFY

Mordac
12th July 2017, 18:23

The money laundering rules make it very difficult to open a bank account without several forms of ID, so for anyone starting out or doing occasional small jobs, cash seems the easiest option. If it saves me the VAT, so much the better. I have no idea how much it costs to get one of those terminals to take card payments, but I bet they ain't cheap, so bollocks to the tosser who wrote this crap report, but I hope it didn't cost the taxpayer too much. :eyes

Mordac
12th July 2017, 18:29
Interesting how a government initiative to protect workers just ends up being a tax grab....

How true. I wonder if they'll adopt the IR35 attitude to "disguised employment" (worker pays all the taxes, including employers NI?) That'll push the rates for Uber and Deliveroo into the realms of nonviable. My fiver says they won't...

Elliegirl
12th July 2017, 18:57
Has it ever occurred to you that if the NHS was privatized and people paid for their own health insurance, the state wouldn't need to worry about any of this nannying?

Paid out of what? with rising zero hours contracts, pay freezes and unstable forms of employment growing? and what happens to people with chronic illnesses?

Nah. Clear off out of it.

BrilloPad
12th July 2017, 21:46
So how am I supposed to pay the local brass without cash? :confused:

vetran
12th July 2017, 22:08
So how am I supposed to pay the local brass without cash? :confused:

cash for handjob?

Lost It
13th July 2017, 08:43
Don't the banks take a fee for using those card machines?

SueEllen
13th July 2017, 08:59
Don't the banks take a fee for using those card machines?

Yep.

d000hg
13th July 2017, 10:10
Can't we just pay using a cheque? Goes into a bank account, doesn't require a card machine...

Or online banking... very easy.

OwlHoot
13th July 2017, 10:17
Paid out of what? with rising zero hours contracts, pay freezes and unstable forms of employment growing? and what happens to people with chronic illnesses?

Nah. Clear off out of it.

A satisfactory way would soon be found. The NHS is chronically and spectacularly inefficient, and before long especially with recent and anticipated medical advances there would be far better alternatives.

If you don't believe me, ask sasguru! :D

WTFH
13th July 2017, 11:25

(except in extreme cases, a la gin crisis of the 18th century and the Defence of the Realm act limiting beer strengths and suchlike)

I'm with you. Education and Health should be a preserve for the wealthy, also scrap the police, if you want protection/law and order, you should buy it yourself. Those that can't afford it should be locked up until they can.
Remove pensions. No government support for pensions, and tax personal ones. When the military retire, they should not be given any support. Send them to the poorhouses.
We've been living in the 20th and 21st centuries too long.
Once all the sick and old are dead, we won't have the overpopulation problem, and then the country will be strong and rich again. We can start by selectively breeding good genes. Britain needs more blond haired, blue eyed, proper people, so we sterilise those who aren't genetically perfect, and then send them to camps where they can work for us.

Your ideas are really spot on. I'm surprised no one has thought of them before.

pangeakiller
14th July 2017, 08:41

Very true. I did a small study for a course. Apple paid zero corporation tax in 2012 during the time of the study. They had a number of product launches that year where people went crazy stood in large lines mandating large police protection, traffic diversion and so on. The cost of police, traffic, road safety were all paid for by the taxpayers. The corporation had zero risk and just massive profit. The total of all PAYE and NI paid for the staff barely had any excess (after deducting the percentage allocated for education, health, pension, defense, benefits etc)

I concluded by saying that perhaps companies should be asked to get a license and insurance in return for road safety and security. While they all hate the word *tax* they all love words *security and insurance*.

original PM
14th July 2017, 09:08
I'm with you. Education and Health should be a preserve for the wealthy, also scrap the police, if you want protection/law and order, you should buy it yourself. Those that can't afford it should be locked up until they can.
Remove pensions. No government support for pensions, and tax personal ones. When the military retire, they should not be given any support. Send them to the poorhouses.
We've been living in the 20th and 21st centuries too long.
Once all the sick and old are dead, we won't have the overpopulation problem, and then the country will be strong and rich again. We can start by selectively breeding good genes. Britain needs more blond haired, blue eyed, proper people, so we sterilise those who aren't genetically perfect, and then send them to camps where they can work for us.

Your ideas are really spot on. I'm surprised no one has thought of them before.

Indeed that Hitler guy had some good ideas!!