• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency demands to go umbrella or VAT registered ltd, I don't want neither

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency demands to go umbrella or VAT registered ltd, I don't want neither

Got a role and started working without being "Set up with the agency", meaning I had only oral confirmation of the t&c, got a congratulationary email with a few more details later. I guess this is a thing now, seems like those days of "print this contract, sign every page and send the scan back a week before your 1st day of assignment" are gone. A couple of weeks into the contract the fun began - the agency refused to set me up on their timesheet system and pay me because I'm not VAT payer. I'm registered as an individual professional in my home country (EU), I'm not VAT payer, been doing business accross EU, including UK and including the same agency a few years ago without any problems. Agency says their policy has changed and now they only work with VAT registered entities, so I should either register for VAT (major pain in the lower body area) or use an umbrella company (significant hit to my bottom line). Now the contract is almost over and we are still debating the financials. My question is can the agency refuse to work with me if I'm not registered for VAT? Is there some legal reason for this or is it only their own rules?

Looks like this might help...

Sole traders and recruitment agencies

Mentions it here but not much detail.

http://oneclickgroupuk.com/news/umbr...imited-company
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 July 2017, 13:18.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I can see why the agency would want you as either Ltd or Umbrella as per NLUK post, don't see why they should insist you be VAT registered if you're below the threshold.

Comment

Only reason I could think is it is a high value contract which would put OP over VAT threshold before the perceived end of the contract, so want them to be VAT registered from the start to save them hassle in the future?

Comment

Ok, I see they might be adverse to working with sole traders. Google suggests I might qualify as sole trader myself, although I think since I'm not a tax resident in the UK there should be no difference to them what I am and how I'm registered.

Comment

Broadly speaking, they are entitled to set the conditions under which they will offer a contract. If they are only willing to deal with VAT-registered Ltd companies then that is their policy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
              Ok, I see they might be adverse to working with sole traders. Google suggests I might qualify as sole trader myself, although I think since I'm not a tax resident in the UK there should be no difference to them what I am and how I'm registered.
              Tax regulations don't work like that.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X