PDA

View Full Version : Blair 'sorrow' over slave trade

Troll
26th November 2006, 14:24
Slavery had been 'profoundly shameful', Mr Blair said
Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he feels "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade.

In an article for the New Nation newspaper, the prime minister said it had been "profoundly shameful".

But Mr Blair stopped short of issuing a full apology, which some commentators have demanded.

The government is reportedly setting out its plans for next year's bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade.

'Crime against humanity'

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has been drawing up ideas for the 25 March anniversary, including the possibility of a "statement of regret" for Britain's involvement.

He has already ruled out a formal apology.

In comments reported by The Observer, Mr Blair said: "It is hard to believe what would now be a crime against humanity was legal at the time.

"I believe the bicentenary offers us a chance not just to say how profoundly shameful the slave trade was - how we condemn its existence utterly and praise those who fought for its abolition - but also to express our deep sorrow that it could ever have happened and rejoice at the better times we live in today."

The statement is due to appear in New Nation, a newspaper aimed at the black community, on Monday.

Next we will be apologising for killing all those fuzzy wussies

wendigo100
26th November 2006, 14:54
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has been drawing up ideas for the 25 March anniversary, including the possibility of a "statement of regret" for Britain's involvement.This guarantees two things:

1. I shall ignore it

2. Whatever he organises will be a **** up

sappatz
26th November 2006, 16:20
well he is not sorry about IT slavery in UK right now. read this

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/23/letters_from_sub-america/

MarillionFan
26th November 2006, 18:39
Exactly. and all Germans should still be sorry for both wars. The Bastards!!!!

That Noah also let all those people drown. Bastard

Spartacus
26th November 2006, 20:29
I'm confused, where's the vote of thanks to Britain for leading the way in abolishing the slave trade?

Or are there some selective memories in operation here?

VectraMan
26th November 2006, 20:58
That Noah also let all those people drown. Bastard

To be fair, God should really be apologising for that one. I think humanity should demand a full apology.

In Bristol, they were going to name the new shopping centre "Merchant's Quarter", until people objected to the name on the grounds that it reminded them of Bristol's association with the slave trade.

Numptycorner
26th November 2006, 21:00
Next we will be apologising for killing all those fuzzy wussies

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread11803-fuzzy.html

erm, i wonder who troll is?

Troll
26th November 2006, 23:02
http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread11803-fuzzy.html

erm, i wonder who troll is?

Naw... the spelling is different & mailmans antipodean

Mailman
27th November 2006, 09:59
Anyone up early enough to see Breakfast this morning? Has some black chick and a historian talking about slavery.

Naturally the black chick was calling for an apology BUT she didnt just stop there...she wanted money from the evil whities! :D

Then the historian started talking that slavery was started by the Africans and under the Arabs slavery was a number of times larger and more organised BUT the black chick wouldnt have a bar of this! :rollin:

If I was Blair I would have said I have nothing to apologise and that you darkies should thank us for civilising you lot! :rollin:

Seriously though, that black chick really got my goat. And apart from stewing it she showed the same ignorance and arrogance as all the apologists out there. She didnt want to know about the role her own "people" played in slavery, what them peace loving arabs had done or that anyone else could have possibly had a role in slavery. No...it was all down to you racist dawgs from europe to apologise for being capatalists!

I bet she even donates 10% of her wage to a charity!

Mailman

Mailman

DimPrawn
27th November 2006, 10:03
Was she hot?

Would you donate her one?

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 10:07
You would think that there were never any white slaves....

Spartacus
27th November 2006, 10:09
There was a proponent of financial compensation to descendants of slaves on the radio this morning. Jim Naughtie put it to her that if her cause was worthy of financial compensation why not seek compensation from the Norwegian government for the descendants of people terrorised, kidnapped and enslaved by the Vikings. She said that he was seeking to trivialise the argument and clearly did not understand the issues being a white man. He let the point slide rather unfortunately.

Spartacus
27th November 2006, 10:14
How about we all just swap some money around?

Dundeegeorge
27th November 2006, 10:21
Aren't you ashamed of yourselves, not feeling guilty about slavery?
I believe we should make full reparations. Give 'em £100 each and repatriate everybody who isn't white.

(DG in 'why is Tony recruiting for the BNP?' mode)

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 10:27
It sounds like this black chick (sic) has put race relations back about 50 years! Silly cow.

Logie
27th November 2006, 10:31
Slavery had been 'profoundly shameful', Mr Blair said. Prime Minister Tony Blair has said he feels "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade.

What's the difference between sorrow and deep sorrow ?

Jumile
27th November 2006, 10:37
This is the same argument that's being used in Australia (and NZ, too?) for the land claims and "stolen generation". It's been proven to work there, so it's being used here and will presumably have the same result.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 10:50
how can it work here??

If you go back far enough all of the land in this country was originally owned by white people....

expat
27th November 2006, 10:54
how can it work here??

If you go back far enough all of the land in this country was originally owned by white people....Easy. Don't go that far back. Just go as far back as you want for your claim, and ignore all earlier facts as irrelevant.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 10:59
Easy. Don't go that far back. Just go as far back as you want for your claim, and ignore all earlier facts as irrelevant.

Either way I don't belive there was a time in this country when large amounts of land was confiscated from black people and given to white people. A claim like that couldn't work in the UK.

Mailman
27th November 2006, 11:00
This is the same argument that's being used in Australia (and NZ, too?) for the land claims and "stolen generation". It's been proven to work there, so it's being used here and will presumably have the same result.

Naw, those are completely different cases.

The abbo's got done over good and proper and it was only recently that the concept of terra nulis (sp?) was overturned in the courts. This concept effectively rendered them abbo's landless.

In NZ's case you Poms stuffed yourselves by signing a treaty with the Maori and then promptly breaking that treaty. I mean honestly, if you wanted to invade and take a country over dont go signing treaties with the local heathens! You only have yourselves to blame for stuffing that one up! :D

Mailman

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 11:01
Theres nothing wrong with sticking your hand up and saying "atually, yeah, we screwed up there. We fixed it in the end, but yes, we apologise for being a part of it".

What's wrong with that? This country thinks its perfect, and it isn't, and certainly hasn't always been.

Say sorry, move on. End of.

Mailman
27th November 2006, 11:04
You are right SA, there is nothing wrong with saying sorry. Actually saying sorry is the easiest thing to do...the hard bit is in meaning you are sorry! :D

BUT that black chick was a very good reason to never say sorry. She was ashamed of her name (Stamford, as that was a slave traders name) when in reality she probably has nothing to do with the slavers with the same name!

Farken I would not say sorry just because of her and out of spite! In fact, Id probably call for the reintroduction of slavery (but this time make all them chavs slaves :rollin: ).

Mailman

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 11:13
You are right SA, there is nothing wrong with saying sorry. Actually saying sorry is the easiest thing to do...the hard bit is in meaning you are sorry! :D
Mailman

I thought sorry was the hardest word?

Please dont enslave the chavs - they are brighter than you give hem credit for.
We witnessed the best chav moment ever last weekend - a lad walked into Greggs in his chav suit (navy blue trackies tucked into his socks), and put 4 baguettes down his pants, and walked off!!!

Thats why they tuck them into their socks! Its pure genius really!

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 11:14
Theres nothing wrong with sticking your hand up and saying "atually, yeah, we screwed up there. We fixed it in the end, but yes, we apologise for being a part of it".

What's wrong with that? This country thinks its perfect, and it isn't, and certainly hasn't always been.

Say sorry, move on. End of.What are you on about? There is everything wrong in saying sorry for something you didn't do. Why should I say sorry for something I had absolutely nothing to do with?

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 11:16
What are you on about? There is everything wrong in saying sorry for something you didn't do. Why should I say sorry for something I had absolutely nothing to do with?

YOU shouldn't say sorry. The country should though.

Theres a massive difference.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 11:21

Say sorry, move on. End of.

The point is that some people are trying to hold us to account for things done hundreds of years ago by people we don't know/never did know. Nobody in thier right mind would seriously think it is alright to wander off to another country and grab 20 black people, flog them a bit and bring them back here to do all the chores. Why make a big fuss about it now? Yes some pretty horrible things were done hundreds of years ago, but if you dig deep enough i'm sure you will find lots of horrible things done to white people by black people as well. (Will we get an apology for all the people eaten by cannibals? Would we expect to? I think you'll find the answer is No in both cases)

All this is, is a bit of OTT PC crap that somebody has thought up, and some other people have obviously thought they can make a bit of money out of it. All a load of BS IMHO.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 11:30
The point is that some people are trying to hold us to account for things done hundreds of years ago by people we don't know/never did know. Nobody in thier right mind would seriously think it is alright to wander off to another country and grab 20 black people, flog them a bit and bring them back here to do all the chores. Why make a big fuss about it now? Yes some pretty horrible things were done hundreds of years ago, but if you dig deep enough i'm sure you will find lots of horrible things done to white people by black people as well. (Will we get an apology for all the people eaten by cannibals? Would we expect to? I think you'll find the answer is No in both cases)

All this is, is a bit of OTT PC crap that somebody has thought up, and some other people have obviously thought they can make a bit of money out of it. All a load of BS IMHO.

Oh Ardesco, are you winding me up? You just cant be serious!!! I dont even know where to start with all that crap.

Apologising for the slave trade is NOT being politically correct FFS!!!
And please tell me where this tribe of black cannibals who have feasted upon white man for years is?

Actually, do you know what, :yay: :yay: bravo. Bravo for having the stupidist, most utterly bollocksy post, to date.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Mailman
27th November 2006, 11:30
I thought sorry was the hardest word?
You thought wrong didnt you :D

Mailman

Mailman
27th November 2006, 11:32
BTW, where the slaves brought to England to be slaves? I mean, come on...that black chick might have a point if slaves were used here in England in the cotton mills!

Mailman

Dundeegeorge
27th November 2006, 11:34
When is the UN going to apologise for wiping out the dinosaurs then, eh?
B*st*rds!

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 11:48
Apologising for the slave trade is NOT being politically correct FFS!!!

Of course it is, next you be expecting me to apologise to India for the British Raj, or Apologise to the French because we had a few wars with them over the years...

And please tell me where this tribe of black cannibals who have feasted upon white man for years is?

Did i say there are still black cannibals eating white men right now??? No. But if you go back far enough you will find evidence of white explorers occasionally being attacked and eaten by black cannibals.

Yes slavery happened, but so did many other things that were not partuclary palletable. You can't wait a few hundred years and then expect apologies from a specific demographic group just because some of thier ancestors "might" have done something horrible ages ago.

What if monkeys learn to speak and evolve to the same intellectual level as us. Are we then going to publically apologise to them because we kept them in Zoos ??

Its PC rubbish all the way. Bad things happen, time changes things and bad things stop happening. It doesn't mean we have to drag up the past every five seconds in attempt to make ourselves look like victems or to try and get a cash payout. By doing this you are discriminationg against yourself!!!

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 12:04
Of course it is, next you be expecting me to apologise to India for the British Raj, or Apologise to the French because we had a few wars with them over the years...

Did i say there are still black cannibals eating white men right now??? No. But if you go back far enough you will find evidence of white explorers occasionally being attacked and eaten by black cannibals.

Yes slavery happened, but so did many other things that were not partuclary palletable. You can't wait a few hundred years and then expect apologies from a specific demographic group just because some of thier ancestors "might" have done something horrible ages ago.

What if monkeys learn to speak and evolve to the same intellectual level as us. Are we then going to publically apologise to them because we kept them in Zoos ??

Its PC rubbish all the way. Bad things happen, time changes things and bad things stop happening. It doesn't mean we have to drag up the past every five seconds in attempt to make ourselves look like victems or to try and get a cash payout. By doing this you are discriminationg against yourself!!!

It was a very very long time ago, but not all of the wounds of slavery have healed - thats how bad it was Ardesco. People still havn't healed from it. Instead of persecuting those people and telling them to feck off an get over it, why not just try and help them heal, and let the country apologise for its part in it?
Same goes for any other example you care to bring up - if there are still people out there hurting from anything this country has done in the past, then yes drag it up again and yes apologise for it (agan and again if necessary).

Your canibal example is stupid though, and your animal one. If you cant see the difference, then its pointless even talking to you about that.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 12:10
Ok then, should the Mongolians apologise for Ghengis Khan ? He slaughtered enough people..

Should the French apologise for Nelson?

there has to be a point where history becomes history and people stop dwelling on it, how can somebody born and raised in this country at this moment in time be psycologically scarred because 20 generations back somebody in thier family was a slave??

expat
27th November 2006, 12:17
Britain should express sorrow for allowing the slave trade, it was morally wrong. That was why we never allowed slavery in our own country.

You and I personally need not feel guilt: we didn't do it.

And neither we personally, nor our country, need apologise to anyone now living, unless they insist that they have been harmed by their ancestors having been taken in slavery.

And if they have, let us help them undo the injustice: help them to return.

Logie
27th November 2006, 12:17
I'd just like to apologise for my great great great great great grandfather's uncle's brother's sister cousin twice removed who had inappropriate sexual relations with the village elder's brother's mother's cousin's best friend.

Glad to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me for centuries.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 12:28
Ok then, should the Mongolians apologise for Ghengis Khan ? He slaughtered enough people..

Should the French apologise for Nelson?

there has to be a point where history becomes history and people stop dwelling on it, how can somebody born and raised in this country at this moment in time be psycologically scarred because 20 generations back somebody in thier family was a slave??

The point where history becomes history is when all people have put it in the past.

And I think some things will never be "put into the past" and forgotton about.
Women will never forget the past.
Blacks will never forget the past.
Jews will never forget the past.

I understand why you, as a middle classed white man, would feel pissed off about this and feel like people are having a dig at you personally. You've never done anything to anyone, so why should you apologise?

But the fact that you feel that way is a sign that you personally havn't got over the scars of the past either! Everyone's born into a legacy, and your happens to be the privilaged legacy - the people who actually bought, sold and kept slaves.
You'd say sorry and shrug it off immediately if you really didn't feel any shame you know.

DimPrawn
27th November 2006, 12:33
I have traced my family tree back and my family were once slaves to Romans in Britain. It upsets me everyday to think of it. It's disgusting. I hope them Italians are going to cough up some wonga to make me get over it. A lot of wonga.

:mad:

Mailman
27th November 2006, 12:35
Everyone's born into a legacy, and your happens to be the privilaged legacy - the people who actually bought, sold and kept slaves.
You'd say sorry and shrug it off immediately if you really didn't feel any shame you know.
FFS, what absolute load of codswollop!

Its people like you that fuel bullsh1t things like apologising for slavery.

Feck, with people like you around no wonder there is such a thing as collective guilt. You know I thought that black chick was the problem but no I was wrong. Its people like you that are the problem.

Why dont you just toddle off and do all the apologising for the whities like Ardesco aye?? I mean by your reasoning Ardesco is the the sole reason slavery ever existed...I mean, how dare he be born white! :rollin:

Mailman

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 12:38
FFS, what absolute load of codswollop!

Its people like you that fuel bullsh1t things like apologising for slavery.

Feck, with people like you around no wonder there is such a thing as collective guilt. You know I thought that black chick was the problem but no I was wrong. Its people like you that are the problem.

Why dont you just toddle off and do all the apologising for the whities like Ardesco aye?? I mean by your reasoning Ardesco is the the sole reason slavery ever existed...I mean, how dare he be born white! :rollin:

Mailman

Stop saying "people like me" - it's discrimination :)

Its not collective guilt - its about being able to be a bit fecking humble and admit the mistakes of the past. You dont have to flog yourself every day for it, just admit that it happened and say sorry for it!
What is the big deal?!

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 12:43
The point where history becomes history is when all people have put it in the past.

And I think some things will never be "put into the past" and forgotton about.
Women will never forget the past.
Blacks will never forget the past.
Jews will never forget the past.

Well women never forget anything if they can remember it and throw it back in your face in five years time for absolutly no other reason than they can...

I don't hear all the Jews demanding compensation from the German government because of what the Nazi's did.....

I guess the morale of the sotyr is never go out with a black jewish woman....

I understand why you, as a middle classed white man, would feel pissed off about this and feel like people are having a dig at you personally. You've never done anything to anyone, so why should you apologise?

A lot of assumptions considering you have never met me...

But the fact that you feel that way is a sign that you personally havn't got over the scars of the past either! Everyone's born into a legacy, and your happens to be the privilaged legacy - the people who actually bought, sold and kept slaves.

There is no evidence of any of my family having anything to do with slavery so far (and I have traced back quite a bit. In fact if you look at my fathers side you could argue that they were slaves for a few generations...

(FYI I have traced back to the 1500's on my fathers side and the 1700's on my mothers side so far)

Again you obviously don't know me. I will not start apologising for something I have not done. I may well show regret that it happened (and it is regrettable that slavery happened) but I will never apologise for it. If anything an apology from me would be more insulting than anything. If it is not meant an apology is meaningless, and how could I possibly mean it when it was nothing to do with me personally?

John Galt
27th November 2006, 12:45

Its not collective guilt - its about being able to be a bit fecking humble and admit the mistakes of the past. You dont have to flog yourself every day for it, just admit that it happened and say sorry for it!
What is the big deal?!

I have never heard such a load of old rubbish in all my life SallyAnn - everyone concerned in this debate is dead - slaves, slave masters etc etc - if you apologise for something the intimation is that you feel guilt - why should we as a country apologise to people we don't know for something that we didn't do that was done to people they they dont' know. I could understand it if the haulocaust survivors had raised this but this all happened hundreds of years ago so how can people say they are affected by it still and, more to the point, demand financial recompense for it

xoggoth
27th November 2006, 12:52
Never hear the Chinese going on about the opium wars or the Indians going on about the Raj, and they are beginning to be great successes. Are there connections between a forward looking approach and success on the one hand and a backward looking obession with past greivances and, well, backwardness, on the other?

Still, at least black Africans don't bang on about the crusades. I fully expect black Africa to start overtaking the Arab north in less than 5 decades. If I was still going to be around I would bet money on it.

DimPrawn
27th November 2006, 12:55
demand financial recompense for it

Kerrrrching, that's what it's all about.

Once you have admitted guilt, it compensation time!!! No win no fee!!

Are you black? Did a whitey look at you like you were some kind of slave? Then call Slave Line Direct.

We pursue all cases and can make you thousands. So don't delay, call today!

After all, where there's blame, there's a claim!

xoggoth
27th November 2006, 12:55
Totally agree mailman. Thinking like that indicates a whole bagfull of screws loose. Or the wrong company.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 12:57
I have never heard such a load of old rubbish in all my life SallyAnn - everyone concerned in this debate is dead - slaves, slave masters etc etc - if you apologise for something the intimation is that you feel guilt - why should we as a country apologise to people we don't know for something that we didn't do that was done to people they they dont' know. I could understand it if the haulocaust survivors had raised this but this all happened hundreds of years ago so how can people say they are affected by it still and, more to the point, demand financial recompense for it

Oh I knew you'd pipe up! :)

Ok then, saying as everyone's here...

The reason the pain of slavery is still very much alive is because racism is still so alive.

There you go, rip me to shreds. But its the truth.

Mailman
27th November 2006, 12:58
When are those peace loving aye-rabs gonna apologise for starting the slave trade?

Mailman

Mailman
27th November 2006, 13:01
The reason the pain of slavery is still very much alive is because racism is still so alive.

Absolute rubbish. The reason the pain of slavery is still very much felt is because there are people out there who refuse to let things go. They will hang on to this for as long as possible UNTIL they feel justice has been done.

That black chick was calling on the banks to pay reparations...naturally she couldnt say which banks!

And when people are done with slavery they will find something else to feel oppressed about! Its the natural order of things :rollin:

Mailman

John Galt
27th November 2006, 13:03

Ok then, saying as everyone's here...

Two totally seperate issues. Please explain how someone in 2006 can be affected by something that happened to people they didn't know in 1806? Racism is not very much alive at all it is just that it is a very media friendly issue and I think that you will find that reverse discrimination is just as prevalent.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 13:04
How much is racisim and how much is people categorising events as racist events because the people involved have different coloured skin.

If a white man mugs a white man it is a mugging

If a white man mugs a black man it is a racist attack....

Is it not just possible that the white man is mugging scum and should be locked up for being a mugger ??

I remember when I was little we had a a shop run by a muslim family in our village. Everybody in the village reffered to his shop as the pakki shop. He never suffered any racist abuse, he sold some wonderful pickles and chutneys and everybody got on very well wth him. It wasn't until I was about 15 that I realised that the word pakki could be used as a racial slur, however if you had got a PC idiot into our village they would have had a field da painting us all as racist white supremists.

I'm not saying that there isn't racism about because there clearly is, however is racism as big a problem as it is made out to be? Or is a lot of it a convenient label for a lot of bad/unforgivable behaviour that would happen anyway.

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 13:13

What is the big deal?!No SallyAnne, I won't "admit" it happened, I'll "acknowledge" it happened, like Krakatoa, the ice age, and the invention of the telephone.

Frankly I don't care what that "black chick" (sic) thinks. She should be feckin grateful she didn't live in the past, rather than getting bitter and twisted about it. I'm sure many of my forebears had a hard life too.

Troll
27th November 2006, 13:14
Ester Stanford, the secretary of the Rendezvous of Victory Campaign, said: "This statement of regret does not go far enough.

"What is now required is a dialogue about how we repair the legacies of enslavement, and we're talking about educational repairs, we're talking about economic repairs, family repairs, cultural repairs, repairs of every kind that we need to recreate and sustain ourselves - it will cost."

I wonder how they will measure the 'compensation'?

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 13:17
I'd just like to apologise for my great great great great great grandfather's uncle's brother's sister cousin twice removed who had inappropriate sexual relations with the village elder's brother's mother's cousin's best friend.

Glad to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me for centuries.So it was you, you barstard! :rollin:

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 13:18
Two totally seperate issues. Please explain how someone in 2006 can be affected by something that happened to people they didn't know in 1806? Racism is not very much alive at all it is just that it is a very media friendly issue and I think that you will find that reverse discrimination is just as prevalent.

Because they STILL feel that even after 200 years black people are STILL not all treated equal.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 13:21
No SallyAnne, I won't "admit" it happened, I'll "acknowledge" it happened, like Krakatoa, the ice age, and the invention of the telephone.

Frankly I don't care what that "black chick" (sic) thinks. She should be feckin grateful she didn't live in the past, rather than getting bitter and twisted about it. I'm sure many of my forebears had a hard life too.

Again, for those who missed it the first 7 times I said it, it's not you who is apologising - its the country.

Why is everyone taking this so personally? No one is asking YOU to apologise - you're not going to be made to go up to every black person you see and apolosie. Its the country which has to - as a point of record.

John Galt
27th November 2006, 13:22
Because they STILL feel that even after 200 years black people are STILL not all treated equal.

Equal? Equal to whom or to what? We are not all equal and it is ridiculous to try and make it so - hundreds of years of communism has proved that it is unworkable. I treat everyone I meet in the same way regardless of creed or colour and I think most people do the same. Please give examples of the ways in which you believe that black people are not 'equal'

John Galt
27th November 2006, 13:22
Again, for those who missed it the first 7 times I said it, it's not you who is apologising - its the country.

Why is everyone taking this so personally? No one is asking YOU to apologise - you're not going to be made to go up to every black person you see and apolosie. Its the country which has to - as a point of record.

A country cannot apologise it is an inanimate object

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 13:24
How much is racisim and how much is people categorising events as racist events because the people involved have different coloured skin.

If a white man mugs a white man it is a mugging

If a white man mugs a black man it is a racist attack....

Is it not just possible that the white man is mugging scum and should be locked up for being a mugger ??

I remember when I was little we had a a shop run by a muslim family in our village. Everybody in the village reffered to his shop as the pakki shop. He never suffered any racist abuse, he sold some wonderful pickles and chutneys and everybody got on very well wth him. It wasn't until I was about 15 that I realised that the word pakki could be used as a racial slur, however if you had got a PC idiot into our village they would have had a field da painting us all as racist white supremists.

I'm not saying that there isn't racism about because there clearly is, however is racism as big a problem as it is made out to be? Or is a lot of it a convenient label for a lot of bad/unforgivable behaviour that would happen anyway.

No - it *may* be described as a racist attack if a white man beat up a black man with no apparent provocation. (And vice versa).
In your situations both are clearly muggings, and AGAIN the fact that you think otherwise is AGAIN making me want to go COMPLETELY ******* INSANE!!!!!

Logie
27th November 2006, 13:25
So it was you, you barstard! :rollin:

Sorry m8, cheques in the post :cool:

Lucy
27th November 2006, 13:26
One of the wealthiest people I've ever met was a black canadian man who's grandmother was an escaped slave. He held no grudge, worked most of his life for Sachs and retired at 50.

I'm sure if we all look hard enough we can think of reasons for why we don't get what we want, the people who succeed just get on with it.

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 13:37
Again, for those who missed it the first 7 times I said it, it's not you who is apologising - its the country.Balderdash. What is this "country"? You speak as if it has nothing to do with me!

We people are the country! Unless you think that somehow the inanimate island itself should apologise!

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 13:42
Balderdash. What is this "country"? You speak as if it has nothing to do with me!

We people are the country! Unless you think that somehow the inanimate island itself should apologise!

First of all, well done for the use of balderdash :)

I think the people and the country are 2 very different things.

The country is the establishment, the laws, the structures, the pilicies, the system....the things which allowed slavery to happen.

Pope Benedict XVI
27th November 2006, 13:44
In 1452, the Pope declared that the possession of slaves was the right of all Christians.

John Galt
27th November 2006, 13:45

The country is the establishment, the laws, the structures, the pilicies, the system....the things which allowed slavery to happen.

So who will apologise - Tony Blair? The elected representative of the people who speaks for the people? The Queen? Whoever you appoint they speak for the people of this country and we have nothing to apologise for.

Lucy
27th November 2006, 13:46

I have to disagree Sal, we are the people who allow these things to happen.

We vote for the structures, the policies, the establishment.

There are a number of families and firms in this country who reap the benefits of slavery, and all I can say is, I don't care enough to do anything about it, and those who do should.

Mailman
27th November 2006, 13:47
Ester Stanford, the secretary of the Rendezvous of Victory Campaign, said: "This statement of regret does not go far enough.

"What is now required is a dialogue about how we repair the legacies of enslavement, and we're talking about educational repairs, we're talking about economic repairs, family repairs, cultural repairs, repairs of every kind that we need to recreate and sustain ourselves - it will cost."

This is the black chick that was on tv this morning. Farking tree hugging gay lesbo commie pinko anti-white male mole! :rollin:

Mailman

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 13:50
In 1452, the Pope declared that the possession of slaves was the right of all Christians.

Yes you're right - the church had a LOT to do with it!

John Galt
27th November 2006, 13:53
Are you going to address the points that we've raised SA?

Mailman
27th November 2006, 13:54
No - it *may* be described as a racist attack if a white man beat up a black man with no apparent provocation.

Farken rubbish. If I beat someone up with no apparent provocation why does that become a racist attack? Surely its only a racist attack if one of the motivators was the colour of the victim?

Otherwise this kind of attack falls under the "just plain bad luck" rule! :rollin:

Honestly Sal, sometimes you are full of teko! :rollin:

Mailman

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 13:55
Yes you're right - the church had a LOT to do with it!

Strange how nobody is making the church apologise and pay for it, even more strange if you look at how many black people are christians....

At the end of the day this is some pinko wannabe commie muppets who are looking for an easy way to get money and Mr Tony B Liar gave them a reason to think they may well get some.

How the hell is insisting that public apologies be made for things that happened centuries ago and demanding compensation which as tax payers we will all end up paying going to help race relations in this country ???

Lucy
27th November 2006, 13:55
This is the black chick that was on tv this morning. Farking tree hugging gay lesbo commie pinko anti-white male mole! :rollin:

Mailman

And 'free cars for maoris'

Mailman
27th November 2006, 14:00
And 'free cars for maoris'

Feck, where's mine? :banana:

Mailman

expat
27th November 2006, 14:01
And 'free cars for maoris'Maoris Minors?

sasguru
27th November 2006, 14:01
I wouldn't mind my own sex slave .....Oh I forgot I have one, she's deflated in the cupboard at the moment.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:02
Are you going to address the points that we've raised SA?

I dont have to address **** all sunshine - who the ***** do you think you're talking to?

I could talk to most people on this board all day long, even if I dont agree with them (or them with me) and I'd happily exchange views back and forth all day regardless.
Ardesco before - obviously I didn't agree with him, and he drives me mad (in a humourous way), but I've got the utmost repect for him and his oppinions. And again, I could banter back and forth with him all day long.

You on the other hand...every time you get into a conversation like this you "turn" into an aggressive tosser.
So no, quite frankly, I dont want to address your points.

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:04
I dont have to address **** all sunshine - who the ***** do you think you're talking to?

I could talk to most people on this board all day long, even if I dont agree with them (or them with me) and I'd happily exchange views back and forth all day regardless.
Ardesco before - obviously I didn't agree with him, and he drives me mad (in a humourous way), but I've got the utmost repect for him and his oppinions. And again, I could banter back and forth with him all day long.

You on the other hand...every time you get into a conversation like this you "turn" into an aggressive tosser.
So no, quite frankly, I dont want to address your points.

I used no bad language and neither did I demand anything from you so I fail to see how you can acuse me of being agressive. It just seemed that you were ignoring a number of points raised - maybe you have no answer? You seem quite incapable of sustained debate without throwing insults around.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 14:07

:eek: Sombody has respect for me......

Does that mean I have a valid argument (Despite bouts of bad spelling and slightly off par examples)??

:rollin:

Lucy
27th November 2006, 14:10
Feck, where's mine? :banana:

Mailman

It's a Bob Jones line, from too long ago, obviously.

Betty
27th November 2006, 14:11
I wouldn't mind my own sex slave .....Oh I forgot I have one, she's deflated in the cupboard at the moment.
£40 for 20 minutes. £80 for an hour. Chains an extra tenner.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:11
I used no bad language and neither did I demand anything from you so I fail to see how you can acuse me of being agressive. It just seemed that you were ignoring a number of points raised - maybe you have no answer? You seem quite incapable of sustained debate without throwing insults around.

I'm incapable of sustained debate with you without throwing insults around, cause the way you say things winds me up every time. I can just hear the tone in your voice.
Other people throw smilies into the mix, or take the piss now and again, or show a bit of themselves in talking - you just argue in a one on one way, and then demand answers 2 minutes after posting!
If you hadn't noticed there are like 10 posts to my 1 here so its taking me a while to get through them.

And I see the conversations on this board as just that, conversations. Exchanges in views. Not debates. I dont have to "win" an argument - but thats the way you see it, and thats what comes through loud and clear every time when I talk to you on here.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:13
:eek: Sombody has respect for me......

Does that mean I have a valid argument (Despite bouts of bad spelling and slightly off par examples)??

You always have valid arguments mate - always the complete end of the spectrum from mine, but always very valid :)

And I bond with you over the spellng thing :)

BoredBloke
27th November 2006, 14:15
"I wouldn't mind my own sex slave .....Oh I forgot I have one, she's deflated in the cupboard at the moment."

I've heard that is what happens when you stick your little pr1ck into them :D

sasguru
27th November 2006, 14:16
£40 for 20 minutes. £80 for an hour. Chains an extra tenner.

Pah! £40 for 20 minutes? I only do high-class hookers, luv ....

Lucy
27th November 2006, 14:17
Pah! £40 for 20 minutes? I only do high-class hookers, luv ....

What ? The blow-up charges you as well ?

sasguru
27th November 2006, 14:18
"I wouldn't mind my own sex slave .....Oh I forgot I have one, she's deflated in the cupboard at the moment."

I've heard that is what happens when you stick your little pr1ck into them :D

OOhh mental abuse! I demand compensation ...

EqualOpportunities
27th November 2006, 14:21
Personally, I think that the requirement to 'apologise' for anything here could be negated by simply reintroducing black slavery. Frankly, free labour is a fantastic idea - if some people lose their civil liberties, as long as it's not me, then so be it.

My motor's a disgrace and my shoes are filthy. Where do I buy some?

bogeyman
27th November 2006, 14:23
hundreds of years of communism has proved that it is unworkable.

Hundreds of years of communism?

I thought communism evolved from the ideas of Marx in the late 19th C.

So, about 120 years of communism so far, and I reckon it won't make 130 in any meaningful form after Castro pops his clogs and NK gets even wierder.

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:26
I'm incapable of sustained debate with you without throwing insults around, cause the way you say things winds me up every time. I can just hear the tone in your voice.
Other people throw smilies into the mix, or take the piss now and again, or show a bit of themselves in talking - you just argue in a one on one way, and then demand answers 2 minutes after posting!
If you hadn't noticed there are like 10 posts to my 1 here so its taking me a while to get through them.

And I see the conversations on this board as just that, conversations. Exchanges in views. Not debates. I dont have to "win" an argument - but thats the way you see it, and thats what comes through loud and clear every time when I talk to you on here.

So if you see things as an exchange of views why do you get so irate? And no you are under no obligation to win an argument but you put your 'views' across very strongly and then expect everyone to agree with you - if they don't you resort to insults.

Oh, incidentally - if you can't have a debate without throwing insults around I suggest you grow up.
ps. :wave: :talk: :freaky: :spank: :yay: :suicide: :banana: :hug: :cool2: :) :mad: :confused: ;) :p :( :o :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :tantrum: :alien: :suicide: :help: :spam: :uofftopic :cool2: :fight: :hug: :cool3: - happy now?

sasguru
27th November 2006, 14:28
What ? The blow-up charges you as well ?

Only for extras ...

Lucy
27th November 2006, 14:30
Only for extras ...

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:30
Hundreds of years of communism?

I thought communism evolved from the ideas of Marx in the late 19th C.

So, about 120 years of communism so far, and I reckon it won't make 130 in any meaningful form after Castro pops his clogs and NK gets even wierder.

Ok, ok - slip of the digits there :o I don't know I think there will always be idealists who think that they can make it work - stupid concept IMHO but there you go

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:31
So if you see things as an exchange of views why do you get so irate? And no you are under no obligation to win an argument but you put your 'views' across very strongly and then expect everyone to agree with you - if they don't you resort to insults.

Oh, incidentally - if you can't have a debate without throwing insults around I suggest you grow up.
ps. :wave: :talk: :freaky: :spank: :yay: :suicide: :banana: :hug: :cool2: :) :mad: :confused: ;) :p :( :o :rolleyes: :eek: :cool: :tantrum: :alien: :suicide: :help: :spam: :uofftopic :cool2: :fight: :hug: :cool3: - happy now?

Yes actually :)

Thats the first time you've sounded normal!

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 14:34
You always have valid arguments mate - always the complete end of the spectrum from mine, but always very valid :)

And I bond with you over the spellng thing :)

Ah you must be a socialist at heart who wants to build a utopian society where everybody works hard together to acheive the end of poverty, unemployment, discrimination in our society and greed.

I on the the other hand am a pessimist, and I know that no society can ever be like that because there will always be somebody who will take advantage of it, or live off it without putting in the hard work that everybody else does. Due to that i'm of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to work sod you :)

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:34
Yes actually :)

Thats the first time you've sounded normal!

Oh good, glad to hear it - in future I'll stick to discussions with adults

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:35
Oh good, glad to hear it - in future I'll stick to discussions with adults

Cool!

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:38
Ah you must be a socialist at heart who wants to build a utopian society where everybody works hard together to acheive the end of poverty, unemployment, discrimination in our society and greed.

I on the the other hand am a pessimist, and I know that no society can ever be like that because there will always be somebody who will take advantage of it, or live off it without putting in the hard work that everybody else does. Due to that i'm of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to work sod you :)

:) You've got me summed up nicely mate. I also just wish everyone would love each other and be nice to each other. Thats at the heart of pretty much every view I have.

I have however, watched way too many episodes of Logons Run, so I kno deep down that utopian societies rarely work out :)

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:38

I'd give up if I were you Ardesco - obviously has the same idea about reasoned arguments as Chico

EqualOpportunities
27th November 2006, 14:39
:) You've got me summed up nicely mate. I also just wish everyone would love each other and be nice to each other. Thats at the heart of pretty much every view I have.

I have however, watched way too many episodes of Logons Run, so I kno deep down that utopian societies rarely work out :)
No, it'll never work...

As an aside, other than slavery, do you think we could use our better done cousins as an alternative source of energy? Just a thought.

HTH.

John Galt
27th November 2006, 14:40

So totally unrealistic then and when are you going to practise what you preach?

Logie
27th November 2006, 14:42

Nice wish, it'll never happen though. As Arnie would say: "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves"

DimPrawn
27th November 2006, 14:44
I watched a prog last night where a group of Chimps attacked and killed another Chimp and then ripped it apart and ate it.

It's a Chimp eat Chimp world out there.

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:46
obviously has the same idea about reasoned arguments as Chico

Theres no need for that!

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 14:48
So totally unrealistic then and when are you going to practise what you preach?

Theres alway a line John - and you're just beyond mine!

and I thought you weren't talking to me anymore? :)

BoredBloke
I don't know if it's been said as I have not trawled through all the earlier posts, but my guess is that the slimy grinning fecker is only doing this to start the ball rolling on a load of compensation cases which his stumper of a wife could profit from. In the same vein that the fecker has drafted so much pi55 poor legislation for the Blair witch to profit from. Now that he is leaving office he needs something which has plenty of mileage in it. What better than compensation claims from the descendents of slaves from over 200 years ago. That should keep the pennies rolling in for her!

SallyAnne
Nice wish, it'll never happen though. As Arnie would say: "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves"

Well indeed - thats why I'm a fat smoker with a drink problem.

Lucy
27th November 2006, 14:49
:eek: A drink problem ?

Logie
27th November 2006, 14:51
Well indeed - thats why I'm a fat smoker with a drink problem.

I've smoked a few fat ones in my time. Good times. God bless Columbia.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 14:52
A utopian society will NEVER work. The only way to make it work is to remove all of the lazy people and the bad ones that will use the population for thier own ends.

The problem is that you need one of the bad ones to commit mass genocide to remove all the rest and keep the society running the way that it should. Once you do this it cannot be a utopian society because you have a great big mass murder running it and he is likely to also murder people who don't agree with his views because his views will become the model of the utopian society.

Communism, a nice idea but not practical. democracy is probably the closest you will get, but even then it doesn't work unless most people have the same ideals and are willing to accept rules that they personally don't agree with.

What you really need to do is have different countries that have a society based around the ideals of different groups of people, but the worst societies will always have people leaving and trying to get into the "better" societies so that they can try and turn this society into a carbon copy of the old one that they were in, except this time they will be at the head of it and not have to put up with the injustise, but cause it themselves.

Am i rambling and talking utter bollocks yet ?? ?:)

Logie
27th November 2006, 14:53
waffle

There is a utopian society, humans aren't part of it tho.

Lucy
27th November 2006, 14:54
Well, no, not really. But I would like to introduce you to Mr , and Mr .
Both are here for your pleasure.

snaw
27th November 2006, 14:56

If you're not wtf are you doing posting on this board, eh?

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 15:00
:eek: A drink problem ?

Well, I dont think it's a problem...

Lucy
27th November 2006, 15:01
:d

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 15:02
A utopian society will NEVER work. The only way to make it work is to remove all of the lazy people and the bad ones that will use the population for thier own ends.

The problem is that you need one of the bad ones to commit mass genocide to remove all the rest and keep the society running the way that it should. Once you do this it cannot be a utopian society because you have a great big mass murder running it and he is likely to also murder people who don't agree with his views because his views will become the model of the utopian society.

Communism, a nice idea but not practical. democracy is probably the closest you will get, but even then it doesn't work unless most people have the same ideals and are willing to accept rules that they personally don't agree with.

What you really need to do is have different countries that have a society based around the ideals of different groups of people, but the worst societies will always have people leaving and trying to get into the "better" societies so that they can try and turn this society into a carbon copy of the old one that they were in, except this time they will be at the head of it and not have to put up with the injustise, but cause it themselves.

Only since you started talking, but you're becoming some what of an aquired taste now :)

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 15:02
Well, no, not really. But I would like to introduce you to Mr , and Mr .
Both are here for your pleasure.

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 15:17
There is a utopian society, humans aren't part of it tho.

Ants don't count :)

Hmmm i wonder if you could breed the chavs to be mindless and perform mudane tasks for the good of everybody else. We could then model our society on ants

:banana:

(Hell they have acheived the mindless part, why not the useful part???)

wendigo100
27th November 2006, 15:20
Bugger them! :freaky:

Lucy
27th November 2006, 15:24
Bugger them! :freaky:

I think they do that to each other :D

Mailman
27th November 2006, 15:56
:)

FFS, if you are going to quote classic TV at least get it right!

Its Logans Run!!

twat!

Mailman

ps. sorry but this thread has become far too civil! :moon:

SallyAnne
27th November 2006, 16:18
FFS, if you are going to quote classic TV at least get it right!

Its Logans Run!!

twat!

Mailman

ps. sorry but this thread has become far too civil! :moon:

A very good point you arse wipe!

(Pleased to see I'm not childish on my own) :)

Ardesco
27th November 2006, 16:24
nyah nyah na nyah nyah

I'm the best i'm the best, I won so i'm the best!!!

nyah nyah na nyah nyah

snaw
27th November 2006, 17:48
A black rights organisation said on Monday Prime Minister Tony Blair's declaration of "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade did not go far enough and failed to address the issue of compensation.

Hmm.

Wonder if there's an angle here to get some cash out of the royal family (And relations), for several hundred years of feudilism?

Logie
27th November 2006, 17:51
A black rights organisation said on Monday Prime Minister Tony Blair's declaration of "deep sorrow" for Britain's role in the slave trade did not go far enough and failed to address the issue of compensation.

For god's sake, they were given a free trip, were fed and employed. What more do they want?

snaw
27th November 2006, 17:53
Mmm, a return ticket perhaps?

Troll
27th November 2006, 20:32
Mmm, a return ticket perhaps?
Lets make it so

hattra
27th November 2006, 22:32
Has anyone heard if the Nigerian, Ghanaian and other Slave Coast countries are going to apologise and stump up compensation as well?

I remember when the publicity for Mahommed Ali's "rumble in the jungle" used the publicity slogan "out of slavery to freedom" and had to withdraw it rapidly in Africa - it hadn't even occurred to them that the remaining black population of Africa were the ones who had sold the slaves in the first place. If there's one thing worse than being a slaver, it's enslaving and selling your own kinsmen!

As for the "abolition of the slave trade", it was only abolished within the British sphere of influence - due to the fact that we didn't really have the sea-power to police the entire planet. Portugal, for instance, continued slaving from the Congo and further South across to South America. And of course slavery existed for some time afterwards. It was still common in Nigeria, for instance through into the 1960's (and is still quite common in parts of the Middle East and Asia).

All our fault I suppose :spank:

Troll
27th November 2006, 22:39
Wasn't it Liberia that came into being as a nation for slaves to be returned to after the American civil war?

hattra
27th November 2006, 22:54
Wasn't it Liberia that came into being as a nation for slaves to be returned to after the American civil war?

I think several thousand went back initially, and about 300 survived the first 2 years. It wasn't a great success - they never had the resources to start from scratch

As a comparison, the British evacuated > 100,000 slaves (as free men) from the States after the American War of Independance. Most went to the West Indies (along with a group of American Indians, who ended up in Bermuda for some reason).

Troll
27th November 2006, 22:58
As a comparison, the British evacuated > 100,000 slaves (as free men) from the States after the American War of Independance. Most went to the West Indies (along with a group of American Indians, who ended up in Bermuda for some reason).
Didn't know that...were they grateful to us for doing this? or should we be expecting another compensation claim?

hattra
27th November 2006, 23:15
Didn't know that...were they grateful to us for doing this? or should we be expecting another compensation claim?

There must be a compensation angle somewhere - how about "wages are lower in the Caribbean. We were not made aware of this fact when you evacuated us, so we did not give informed consent. Ergo, you owe us compensation for several hundred years of lower pay, plus interest"

vetran
28th November 2006, 00:11
Maybe our compensation seeking friend should use her mouth to sort out modern slavery :

http://www.economist.com/research/backgrounders/displaybackgrounder.cfm?bg=975188

http://www.economist.com/research/backgrounders/displaybackgrounder.cfm?bg=975188

And B'Liar stop fishing for votes over a tragedy, something he has form for - Various royal funerals, terrorist atrocities, NHS etc.

Personally I feel no guilt, just sorrow at the facts surrounding Slavery and the depravity of using it as a meal ticket.

Cannibalism is quite interesting if repulsive, I hadn't realised it was so widespread so recently.

Cannibalism has been reported in several recent African (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa) conflicts, including the Second Congo War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Congo_War), and the civil wars in Liberia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia) and Sierra Leone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Leone). Typically, this is apparently done in desperation, as during peacetime cannibalism is much less frequent. Even so, it is sometimes directed at certain groups believed to be relatively helpless, such as Congo Pygmies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygmies). It is also reported by some that African traditional healers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_doctor) sometimes use the body parts of children in their medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibalism

wendigo100
28th November 2006, 10:13
Cannibalism is quite interesting if repulsive, I hadn't realised it was so widespread so recently.[/url]Someone tried to eat me once. It wasn't that bad!

Troll
28th November 2006, 11:04
Do you expect they will settle for '40 acres & a mule' ?

SallyAnne
28th November 2006, 11:05
Someone tried to eat me once. It wasn't that bad!

BoredBloke
28th November 2006, 11:25
" Someone tried to eat me once. It wasn't that bad!"

Had she put her teeth in it might have been different!

Ardesco
28th November 2006, 11:29
All depends how rough you like it i guess....

:freaky:

wendigo100
28th November 2006, 11:38
All depends how rough you like it i guess....

:freaky:Speaking of which, do you think Cherie has tried to eat Tony? Bit like chucking a sausage down an alley I'd have thought.

Ardesco
28th November 2006, 11:40
You never know, he may be hung like a stallion hence the awful grimace to fit it all in.

I somehow doubt it though.......

Lucy
28th November 2006, 11:41
Speaking of which, do you think Cherie has tried to eat Tony? Bit like chucking a sausage down an alley I'd have thought.

DodgyAgent
28th November 2006, 11:52
I am a slave trader and have absolutely no intention of apologising for it.
Get on with some work you lot!