PDA

View Full Version : Far out for Merkel?

vetran
24th September 2017, 11:06
Germany election: Merkel widely tipped for fourth term | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4914358/Angela-Merkel-widely-tipped-fourth-term-office.html)

Germans head to the polls with voters set to ignore downpours and punish Angela Merkel's open-door policy by voting in DOZENS of far-right MPs
Merkel's conservative bloc was well atop the polls ahead of Sunday's election
The Chancellor is facing center-left Social Democrat challenger Martin Schulz
The latest polls have Merkel's conservative bloc at 34 to 37 per cent support
But Sunday's election is also likely to see the farthest right-wing party in 60 years, the anti-migrant Alternative for Germany, win seats in parliament

May you live in interesting times!

scooterscot
24th September 2017, 11:15
If AFD/SPD get a foothold - say goodbye to any Brexit transition period. Far as they're concerned A50 was handed, they don't want a failing economy dragging down progress on continent for years on end. Interesting times indeed.

Off Oktoberfest now..

darmstadt
24th September 2017, 12:28
Canstatter Wasen is better

SueEllen
24th September 2017, 16:15
Well she's back...

eek
24th September 2017, 16:23
Well she's back...

Only just and doing anything will be hard work.

AfD got 13.5% of the vote
SPD are heading into opposition to rebuild and to ensure AfD are not the official opposition.

So its either a minority government or one made up of the CDU, FDP and the greens..

vetran
24th September 2017, 16:26

SPD are heading into opposition to rebuild and to ensure AfD are not the official opposition.

So its either a minority government or one made up of the CDU, FDP and the greens..

Maybe she did something to upset the electorate?

eek
24th September 2017, 16:27
Oh and that 13.5% of the vote means that the AfD probably have 80-90 seats in the Bundestag.

Worse last election the AfD were roughly equal to UKIP in their view point. This time round they have shifted far more towards the BNP / National Front - and picked up millions of votes by doing so...

eek
24th September 2017, 16:28

Christian Lindner FDP has supposedly said no to a coalition so its a minority government of some form or other...

scooterscot
24th September 2017, 16:37
There'll be a few in no. 10 taking a sigh of relief at this result.

BR14
24th September 2017, 16:43

is that no.10 wankerstrasse, munich, where you live???

original PM
24th September 2017, 16:44

But why has the vote gone this way?

scooterscot
24th September 2017, 18:24
Lets we forget it was only a year ago or so every jingoistic Farage following Brexiter was predicting the end of the EU.

http://i.imgur.com/a4GnrQD.jpg

scooterscot
24th September 2017, 18:26
But why has the vote gone this way?

Because just like the UK, DE has its fare share of idiots without access to a history book.

Paddy
24th September 2017, 18:29
is that no.10 wankerstrasse, munich, where you live???

You seem to have a vocabulary limited to four letter words.
With such a lack of education I presume you voted for Brexit.

original PM
24th September 2017, 18:32
Because just like the UK, DE has its fare share of idiots without access to a history book.

It's interesting how more and more people seem to be idiots isn't it.

scooterscot
24th September 2017, 18:35
Frightening would be my preferred adjective.

original PM
24th September 2017, 18:48
Frightening would be my preferred adjective.

I hear people thought the motorised carriage was frightening back in the day.

Worked out OK though.

sasguru
24th September 2017, 19:28
It's interesting how more and more people seem to be idiots isn't it.

Not at all. The welfare state in Europe has encouraged survival of the non-fittest. In other, tougher, countries the stupid die.
The stupid are too thick to understand they are protesting about first world problems and the problem is that they are non competitive. Brexit, Trump or nationalist German, losers like yourself are not going to be protected by nationalism in the long run.
It's a historical cycle that repeats itself from the first empires (Babylon aka Iraq, the Persians, the Greeks) etc. Wealth breeds complacency, a lack of perspective, insularity, nationalism and finally decline.

shaunbhoy
24th September 2017, 19:32
In other, tougher, countries the stupid die.

Your good fortune to have been born here then I guess.

Just a shame for the rest of us that we have to endure your endless pitiful caterwauling!

:laugh

DimPrawn
24th September 2017, 19:51
Congrats to Merkel.

I'm sure she will continue the good work, and the EU will go from strength to strength...:rolleyes:

sasguru
24th September 2017, 19:59
Congrats to Merkel.

I'm sure she will continue the good work, and the EU will go from strength to strength...:rolleyes:

You'd better hope so since you're emigrating to the EU, aren't you?:laugh:laugh
You really need to learn to think clearly instead of making decisions on the basis of your brain farts.

chopper
24th September 2017, 20:01
So, Merkel going down from 41% to 34%. *success*. Clearly a ringing endorsement for Merkel and her policies. No need to take public opinion into account. No doubt Juncker will make a speech about how Germany has clearly chosen the EU and has given it a mandate towards further political integration.

Even Theresa May managed to get 42% of the popular vote...

sasguru
24th September 2017, 20:05
So, Merkel going down from 41% to 34%. *success*. Clearly a ringing endorsement for Merkel and her policies. No need to take public opinion into account. No doubt Juncker will make a speech about how Germany has clearly chosen the EU and has given it a mandate towards further political integration.

No need to take public opinion into account?
Who do you think votes in the German election?

Why are you Brexiters interested in the German election anyway?
We've left and are moving into the land of Nirvana aren't we? :rollin::rollin:

DimPrawn
24th September 2017, 20:06
You'd better hope so since you're emigrating to the EU, aren't you?:laugh:laugh

I'm moving so Nambia, I hear they have great health care and lots of covfefe there.

jamesbrown
24th September 2017, 20:13
I'm moving so Nambia, I hear they have great health care and lots of covfefe there.

On the downside, its within range of Fatty McNukes and they play NFL on loop.

chopper
24th September 2017, 20:16

Boris has already tried to get in touch with them to get a trade deal.

sasguru
24th September 2017, 20:21
Boris has already tried to get in touch with them to get a trade deal.

Dunno why, other countries seem to be queueing up for trade deals. Aren't they? :laugh:laugh:laugh
There's all that jam to sell them stuck in warehouses round the land ... :rollin:

BrilloPad
25th September 2017, 08:07

Wasn't 34% what Hitler got?

original PM
25th September 2017, 08:15

Interesting - and if Merkel had a landslide then no doubt it would have been the begining of a new era.

But because reality does not fit the fantasy you want to live in you are now playing the result down.

It's just so fookin tedious isn't it?

The_Equalizer
25th September 2017, 08:26
Interesting - and if Merkel had a landslide then no doubt it would have been the begining of a new era.

But because reality does not fit the fantasy you want to live in you are now playing the result down.

It's very poor form, I did feel a little schadenfreude while watching the news this morning. Still perhaps it'll concentrate the minds of those like Blaster and Scooter to the problems at 'home' instead. :grin

sasguru
25th September 2017, 08:26

You seem not to be able to comprehend basic English.
Where have I played "the result down"?
I'm merely observing that Brexiters seem to have an unhealthy interest in the EU - now that they realise Brexit is becoming an abject failure, all they can hope for is that our neiigbours fail.
Which is sad, not to mention stupid.

sasguru
25th September 2017, 08:27
It's very poor form, I did feel a little schadenfreude while watching the news this morning. Still perhaps it'll concentrate the minds of those like Blaster and Scooter to the problems at 'home' instead. :grin

I rest my case.

The_Equalizer
25th September 2017, 08:29
I rest my case.

Nothing of the sort. It was the second news article on the Beeb. Hard to miss while one had one's porridge.

BlasterBates
25th September 2017, 08:50

The fact is the UK responded to their version of the AfD by leaving the EU and trashing the economy i.e. not even solving the problem that UKIP supporters were worried about, whereas the Germans will respond by simply by sounding tougher but without actually doing anything different.

For anyone living in Germany will know that members of the Waffen SS have already sat in various state parliaments. After a few years they'll simply get voted out again.

:D

The_Equalizer
25th September 2017, 08:57
The fact is the UK responded to their version of the AfD by leaving the EU and trashing the economy i.e. not even solving the problem that UKIP supporters were worried about, whereas the Germans will respond by simply by sounding tougher but without actually doing anything different.

For anyone living in Germany will know that members of the Waffen SS have already sat in various state parliaments. After a few years they'll simply get voted out again.

Or perhaps the genie is out of the bottle? :grin

northernladyuk
25th September 2017, 09:06
Nigel Farage is pro-AFD, so they must be reasonable and respectable democrats.

The_Equalizer
25th September 2017, 09:18
Nigel Farage is pro-AFD, so they must be reasonable and respectable democrats.

And Corbyn is chums with Sinn Fein. Your point might be over simplified?

bobspud
25th September 2017, 09:47

Well I am interested because I like to watch what others are thinking. I certainly do not delight in the idea that she has inadvertently opened the doors to a truly nasty bunch right wingers. So now both France and Germany that have had brushes with far the right. Its not a good outlook is it?.

BlasterBates
25th September 2017, 10:25
Or perhaps the genie is out of the bottle? :grin

Not really, they'll probably be out by the next election. All slogans and no policies (see video "Berenberg says AfD will make some noise")

https://www.bloomberg.com/europe

What does that remind you of ?

eek
25th September 2017, 10:31
Queen Angela commands a German economy unfit for the 21st Century (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/24/queen-angela-commands-german-economy-unfit-21st-century/) for those who want some background.

BlasterBates
25th September 2017, 10:36
Queen Angela commands a German economy unfit for the 21st Century (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/24/queen-angela-commands-german-economy-unfit-21st-century/) for those who want some background.

I see that Ambrose has finally given up on his repeated predictions of the imminent demise of the Euro.

eek
25th September 2017, 10:46
I see that Ambrose has finally given up on his repeated predictions of the imminent demise of the Euro.

He is one of those people who is seemingly never right. If you look at the facts and not the commentary its a good article highlighting the lack of investment and a budget requirement for a balanced budget which could cause problems down the line.

northernladyuk
25th September 2017, 11:19
He is one of those people who is seemingly never right. If you look at the facts and not the commentary its a good article highlighting the lack of investment and a budget requirement for a balanced budget which could cause problems down the line.

He is nonetheless magnificent.

BlasterBates
25th September 2017, 11:50
He is nonetheless magnificent.

It is interesting how you can spin the most positive economic news to be negative.

The facts:

The economy is growing strongly
Low inflation
Improving productivity
Wage growth
Running a budget surplus
Low private debt
Average asset prices

The question you have to ask yourself is if the UK could boast the same and Germany was like the UK would Ambrose then be arguing that Germany would be successful. I very much suspect that he would be boasting about the UK and sneering at the demise of Germany.

I like the bit about monetary union and a loose economic policy; he seem to have changed his tune because he used to argue it was too strict. He seems to sway in the wind desperately finding arguments as to why the Eurozone is about to imminently destruct whilst ignoring the economic doom on his doorstep.

BlasterBates
25th September 2017, 12:33
German election result bad for Brexit (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-25/merkel-s-hollow-victory-complicates-may-s-life-and-brexit-talks)

Looks like Farage shot himself in the foot as the German government will now have to kick the UK hard to put the AfD down.

sasguru
25th September 2017, 12:36
German election result bad for Brexit (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-25/merkel-s-hollow-victory-complicates-may-s-life-and-brexit-talks)

Looks like Farage shot himself in the foot as the German government will now have to kick the UK hard to put the AfD down.

But Farage wants a hard Brexit, doesn't he? This will make it more likely. Let's hope so anyway, hard Brexit is the best outcome for some.

northernladyuk
25th September 2017, 12:36

That suits Farage fine. He wants it to fall apart so he can carry out his Beer Hall Putsch.

chopper
25th September 2017, 12:46
Looks like Farage shot himself in the foot

To quote Nigel Farage himself, on his own LBC radio show:

"If Brexit is a disaster, I will go and live abroad. I'll go and live somewhere else."

northernladyuk
25th September 2017, 12:50
To quote Nigel Farage himself, on his own LBC radio show:

"If Brexit is a disaster, I will go and live abroad. I'll go and live somewhere else."

Actually he said that if the UK's democratically elected sovereign parliament did not follow his model of Brexit:

then I will be forced to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines.

Benny
25th September 2017, 12:50
That suits Farage fine. He wants it to fall apart so he can carry out his Beer Hall Putsch.

Except the Beer hall Putsch occurred in 1923 some seven years before the Nazis made electoral gains in 1930 so your timeline is a tad out

northernladyuk
25th September 2017, 12:51
Except the Beer hall Putsch occurred in 1923 some seven years before the Nazis made electoral gains in 1930 so your timeline is a tad out

Have you seen how many MPs UKIP has? Next!

scooterscot
25th September 2017, 12:58

"It estimates that trend growth will fall to 0.75pc a year by 2021 unless something is done to revive Germany’s stagnant productivity."

No. 10 dreams of such dizzy heights :D

scooterscot
25th September 2017, 13:00
Looking more and more likely a Jamaican coalition will be formed. And since the SPD and AFD will never agree on anything they're be next to no opposition. Lucky Brexiters...

The_Equalizer
25th September 2017, 13:00
"It estimates that trend growth will fall to 0.75pc a year by 2021 unless something is done to revive Germany’s stagnant productivity."

No. 10 dreams of such dizzy heights :D

Some would say your comments don't purvey the same sense of confidence today. :grin