PDA

View Full Version : Plan for a very hard Brexit, German firms told

scooterscot
5th October 2017, 18:08
Something they're not telling no. 10? Or something to come :D

The UK only need to write a cheque, confirm border controls in Ireland and the rights of citizens to progress with trade talks. Astonishing the pompous government believe trade comes before people. Anyone who thinks Tories are working in the interests of those who voted for them are in for a :eek:

German companies with a presence in the UK should be planning for a "very hard Brexit", Germany's biggest industry body has warned.

German industry looked "with concern" at the progress of the Brexit talks, said the boss of the Federation of German Industries (BDI), Joachim Lang.

Britain "is lacking a clear concept despite talking a lot," he added.

Leave campaigners said that if Britain walked away without a deal it would be because of EU negotiating delays.

But Britain would thrive nonetheless, said Richard Tice, co-chair of Leave Means Leave.

A hard Brexit implies the UK failing to reach a trade deal with the EU, something some UK business lobby groups argue will be highly damaging for the economy.

The BDI said it had set up a task force to prepare contingency plans for the UK's departure from the EU, scheduled to take place in March 2019.

According to the Reuters news agency, the task force involves major firms including Airbus, Siemens and Deutsche Bank.

Mr Lang said the Conservative Party in the UK was deeply divided over Brexit, as shown by this week's conference of the party, held in Manchester.

"German companies with a presence in Britain and Northern Ireland must now make provisions for the serious case of a very hard exit," he added.

"Anything else would be naive."

But Mr Tice said: "The Federation of German Industries is right that there is a chance that Britain will walk away from negotiations and move to World Trade Organisation rules.

"They are wrong, however, that this is because of Britain 'lacking a clear concept'. There is only one side delaying talks and that is the EU. They have acted to purposely obstruct the process."

He said the BDI should be pressing German chancellor Angela Merkel to get the EU "to stop blocking trade talks... It is the EU27 who will suffer most in the event of no deal - Britain will thrive under WTO rules."
:mad

The UK is Germany's third-biggest export destination and its fifth most important trading partner.

It is also the German car industry's biggest export market.

German carmakers and suppliers employ about 9,000 people in the UK at 95 different sites.

source: Plan for a very hard Brexit, German firms told - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41509198)

scooterscot
5th October 2017, 18:08
I see GBP is loving this news :D

chopper
5th October 2017, 19:48
I see GBP is loving this news :D

GBP is concerned about the instability of the government, which may be about to be furthered if there is another change of leadership.

As for we only need to write a cheque, we've already promised to pay what we owe. That isn't enough for the EU, because it is all about the money. Everything else is a sideshow. They're only bothered because they're losing a net contributor.

AtW
5th October 2017, 20:50
They are bothered not to lose others, especially in light of tulip in Catalonia, so example must be made that leaving EU leads to economical disaster, which will be amplified by idiots from Tory party and then Labour will come to finish the job

Mordac
5th October 2017, 21:20
Something they're not telling no. 10? Or something to come :D

The UK only need to write a cheque, confirm border controls in Ireland and the rights of citizens to progress with trade talks. Astonishing the pompous government believe trade comes before people. Anyone who thinks Tories are working in the interests of those who voted for them are in for a :eek:

source: Plan for a very hard Brexit, German firms told - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41509198)

German business leaders have every right to be worried that EU negotiators are putting politics before economics. It'd be a shame if one of Germany's biggest export markets was thrown under a bus for the sake of saving Juncker's face. Still, it's not as he'd give a sh!t.

AtW
5th October 2017, 22:14
It'd be a shame if one of Germany's biggest export markets was thrown under a bus for the sake of saving Juncker's face.

Shame? It would be a focking disaster for UK.

Cirrus
5th October 2017, 22:51
It'd be a shame if one of Germany's biggest export markets was thrown under a bus Where are you getting this bollox from? Are you still not listening?

All the barmy Brexiteers talk about 'free trade'. Right now Germany exports to us tariff free. After free trade Hard Brexit they'll export to us... tariff free.

original PM
6th October 2017, 05:16
Where are you getting this bollox from? Are you still not listening?

All the barmy Brexiteers talk about 'free trade'. Right now Germany exports to us tariff free. After free trade Hard Brexit they'll export to us... tariff free.

No look at what is happening and put your prejudices to one side.

The eu are more interested in trying to make an example of the UK then anything else.

Including the welfare of eu citizens and businesses.

When will you realise that we have called the eu's bluff?

BrilloPad
6th October 2017, 06:18
Hopefully they will take all their BMWs and Audis back.

SueEllen
6th October 2017, 06:25
German business leaders have every right to be worried that EU negotiators are putting politics before economics. It'd be a shame if one of Germany's biggest export markets was thrown under a bus for the sake of saving Juncker's face. Still, it's not as he'd give a sh!t.

German business leaders have been well aware for months that this would happen so why is it suddenly news to you?

Oh and they don't care if we are thrown under a bus as unlike badly run British businesses like Monarch and BHS, they know not to rely on one customer.

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 06:37
The eu are more interested in trying to make an example of the UK then anything else.

Seems to me the UK is making an example of itself or what not to do.

Why would you except to receive the same benefits of a club member without being a member? It defies logic.

BrilloPad
6th October 2017, 06:42
Seems to me the UK is making an example of itself or what not to do.

Why would you except to receive the same benefits of a club member without being a member? It defies logic.

You are entitled to your opinion and I would die for your right to say it.

Unlike the EU. Like Nazi Germany they want to ban democracy.

When will the EU speak up on Catalonia?

In my opinion, the EU is conducting itself in a disgraceful way. I see better behaviour in primary schools.

"You vill say how much you vill pay us before we talk trade". Bollux! These are sovereign states. Not people coming to court.

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 07:01
When will the EU speak up on Scotland? Same sheet different day. For obvious reason the EU cannot be seen to interfere until it is official.

Democracy? Really? No, I'm serious, really really? PM May who had to buy votes to stay in power? Democracy? The House of Lords whom no one voted for and yet decided how we live? You can this a democracy? MP's whom have been caught expensing the tax payer for various privileges, fraud that would get you and me jailed, is treated with a slap on the wrist.

There is little or no desire to carry out the democratic wish of the electorate. Westminster is corrupt. And the country knows it. Best of all you defend it as democracy.

shaunbhoy
6th October 2017, 07:18
When will the EU speak up on Scotland?

And say WHAT exactly? Scotland held a Referendum on Independence and decided 55% to 45% to remain as part of the UK.
As a consequence they get treated like the part of the UK they voluntarily chose to remain.
Something does not stop being Democratic just because you don't get the result you hoped for.
What exactly are you expecting the EU to "speak up" about numbskull? :eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4q3leE5Uw

Democracy? Really? No, I'm serious, really really?

It is far from perfect but it is still Democracy, much more so than what Juncker and his cronies would like to practice anyway.

Cirrus
6th October 2017, 07:30
Christ, how many time to I have to say it before you Brexiteers get it? Germany only 'loses' the British market if we apply tariffs to match the EU eg 10% on finished BMWs. All the Tories are by contrast pushing zero tariffs. Do you understand what that means? It means a BMW will cost the same as it does now. It means BMW will be as free to market and sell cars as they do now. 'Free Trade' means opening our markets to anyone at any price. The idea is it kills off half of indigenous companies and thus provides a mass of jobless citizens to feed new capitalist enterprises (great idea if you're one of the top 0.1%; more questionable if you are a worker in Humberside, Tyneside the Yorkshire Dales etc etc)

Germany will suffer the disruption that all if us will in the way our intricately interwoven industries and service will have to be reorganised on a massive scale but you can't equate that to any country sales figures.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 07:31
Brexiteers need to move on from their entitled self pitying snowflakery. How can the EU possibly punish the UK? Look at the net trade flow. A patriotic UK Government should be demanding payment from the EU to keep British markets open.

sasguru
6th October 2017, 07:40
Brexiteers need to move on from their entitled self pitying snowflakery. How can the EU possibly punish the UK? Look at the net trade flow. A patriotic UK Government should be demanding payment from the EU to keep British markets open.

:laugh:laugh:laugh

motoukenin
6th October 2017, 07:49

But it won't be thrown under a bus , this is a non argument for both remainers and leavers.

Its all about the value of the pound and import tariffs , one of the most expensive German exports BMW's I was leasing a BMW for about £420 per month a few years ago , in 2020 the same car with tariffs and low pound value will cost me about 11% more about £470 per month, still less than a days wages and I will still buy a BMW because unlike a Ford and Vauxhall which I can buy at half the price its the car I want and generally people who buy them are not on minimum wage.

Likewise for UK exports they will have tariffs on but with a low pound that makes them about the same price as pre Brexit prices.

WTFH
6th October 2017, 08:39

And the Brexit team don’t care if the UK is crippled as long as it has a small negative impact on the EU.
That’s what several seem to preach: As long as it’s bad for the EU, we’re happy.
Then you turn round and say that the EU are doing things to punish/make an example of the UK.

If by “punish” you mean “try to negotiate an agreed settlement”, then you’re right. The EU wants to keep going. It doesn’t want to stop or go backwards. The EU will keep going without the UK, it is planning for the future.

This whole spin thing of “trying to make an example of the UK to stop others leaving” followed by “UK is one of the very few net contributors”. Think it through, if the EU was just interested in the finance side of things then they would be happy to lose all the countries that are not net contributors. That would make financial sense if the EU was just about finance.

bobspud
6th October 2017, 09:15
Where are you getting this bollox from? Are you still not listening?

Not when we end up walking away under WTO rules. Its inevitable.

The problem is that the EU are not its constituent countries it is a cancer all of its own. It really doesn't care if the French or German markets have problems selling goods to the UK because those pains hurt someone else not the elite in Brussels.

The whole point that the guys supporting remain seem to miss is that the EU are not interested in the members they are a protectionist state all on their own. They bully protection money out of the members and then piss it up the wall as they fancy. All 27 countries in the current block could just stand up tomorrow and say we agree to trade for free and we don't need the EU anymore because we will create standards the same way as the RFC method works today.

That would solve Brexit immediately and give everyone what they want which is trade. I have not met a single person that thinks an EU army is a good idea and the fact that the EU are even talking about it shows they have ran out of touch.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 09:17

The problem is that the EU are not its constituent countries it is a cancer all of its own. It really doesn't care if the French or German markets have problems selling goods to the UK because those pains hurt someone else not the elite in Brussels.

The whole point that the guys supporting remain seem to miss is that the EU are not interested in the members they are a protectionist state all on their own. They bully protection money out of the members and then piss it up the wall as they fancy. All 27 countries in the current block could just stand up tomorrow and say we agree to trade for free and we don't need the EU anymore because we will create standards the same way as the RFC method works today.

That would solve Brexit immediately and give everyone what they want which is trade. I have not met a single person that thinks an EU army is a good idea and the fact that the EU are even talking about it shows they have ran out of touch.

Wouldn't it be simpler to finalise the tariff free unicorn trade deal with Narnia?

sasguru
6th October 2017, 09:18

I agree that's what's likely to happen.
Not going to be good for the UK though - and that's putting it mildly.

bobspud
6th October 2017, 09:25
I agree that's what's likely to happen.
Not going to be good for the UK though - and that's putting it mildly.

Yes its going to be a real horror story when all the markets crash and the worlds Billionaires lose all the money they have stolen out of their relative countries. I personally can't wait to see all the crooked African leaders realise that all the millions they have tried to hide in our property market just went pop like the Tulip Bulb crash. With some luck we might find someone with teeth to start seizing more of the ill gotten game from them on the way out...

sasguru
6th October 2017, 09:33
Yes its going to be a real horror story when all the markets crash and the worlds Billionaires lose all the money they have stolen out of their relative countries. I personally can't wait to see all the crooked African leaders realise that all the millions they have tried to hide in our property market just went pop like the Tulip Bulb crash. With some luck we might find someone with teeth to start seizing more of the ill gotten game from them on the way out...

Yes and of course you won't be affected by this crash at all.:laugh:laugh
Do you honestly think the really well off (however they got their loot) put all their eggs in one basket?
It'll be people like you who'll lose the little you have.
The rich will be laughing away somewhere else.

bobspud
6th October 2017, 10:09
Yes and of course you won't be affected by this crash at all.:laugh:laugh
Do you honestly think the really well off (however they got their loot) put all their eggs in one basket?
It'll be people like you who'll lose the little you have.
The rich will be laughing away somewhere else.

Nope its going to **** all of us but we need to shake out the dead beats and thieves that are using our capital as a hiding place for money that should have been spent on citizens around the globe. Im not bothered about the next ten years I'm investing in the next 100.

Mordac
6th October 2017, 10:12
German business leaders have been well aware for months that this would happen so why is it suddenly news to you?

Oh and they don't care if we are thrown under a bus as unlike badly run British businesses like Monarch and BHS, they know not to rely on one customer.

I'm referring to Scooty's original post. He thinks it's news.

motoukenin
6th October 2017, 10:25

Be interesting to understand why you think all of the markets will crash just because the EU loose one member. I believe that we were better in but even as a leaver this seems like more soothsaying than actual fact.

milanbenes
6th October 2017, 10:52

bob,

part of the EU's raison de etre is redistribution of wealth from the rich countries to the poor countries to bring everybody to the same level and they have been very successful at that

huge amounts of money from the rich countries has been invested in infrastructure in the poorer countries, from Portugal across CZ/PL/HU/SK

look at the railways and motorways, the improvements in buildings etc

so yes there might be some people skimming off the cream but it hasn't all been wasted

CEE has done very well as a consequence of EU membership

And if CEE _only_ had free trade agreements they would not have the infrastructure improvements which have come with EU membership

Milan.

BlasterBates
6th October 2017, 10:59

Great speech bobspud, represents why the UK should leave the EU and why the UK will be completely f***ed.

If the people in the UK don't understand how institutions and/or the markets work then they should leave them and learn to live in a "developing country".

milanbenes
6th October 2017, 11:06
Great speech bobspud, represents why the UK should leave the EU and why the UK will be completely f***ed.

If the people in the UK don't understand how institutions and/or the markets work then they should leave them and learn to live in a "developing country".

actually talking with German colleagues they are very comfortable with giving German money to the EU to give to the other countries, because as they said....

"and then the people in those countries will buy German products anyway"

Milan.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 11:08
actually talking with German colleagues they are very comfortable with giving German money to the EU to give to the other countries, because as they said....

Milan.

This was part of the EU expansion deal - to open up Eastern European markets to Western European businesses.

BlasterBates
6th October 2017, 11:12

Milan.

Indeed the Germans as do most Europeans understand what it is all about. Brits just don't want to be part of it so they need an "education", which will do them the power of good, as well as my bank account. All in all Brexit is a win/win deal.

:D

eek
6th October 2017, 12:28
But it won't be thrown under a bus , this is a non argument for both remainers and leavers.

Its all about the value of the pound and import tariffs , one of the most expensive German exports BMW's I was leasing a BMW for about £420 per month a few years ago , in 2020 the same car with tariffs and low pound value will cost me about 11% more about £470 per month, still less than a days wages and I will still buy a BMW because unlike a Ford and Vauxhall which I can buy at half the price its the car I want and generally people who buy them are not on minimum wage.

Likewise for UK exports they will have tariffs on but with a low pound that makes them about the same price as pre Brexit prices.

Given that most people buy new cars by walking into the car showroom and asking what they can get for £x00 a month - I wouldn't be so sure on what the customer actually earns...

PS given that you claim to know so much about economics how is the monthly on a lease or PCP car calculated?

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 12:30
Given that most people buy new cars by walking into the car showroom and asking what they can get for £x00 a month - I wouldn't be so sure on what the customer actually earns...

PS given that you claim to know so much about economics how is the monthly on a lease or PCP car calculated?

That sounds more like finance than economics.

eek
6th October 2017, 12:36
That sounds more like finance than economics.

economics is the science of finance - well its the bulltulip that allows finance people to claim things are improving....

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 12:41
economics is the science of finance - well its the bulltulip that allows finance people to claim things are improving....

You don't even know what economics is!

eek
6th October 2017, 12:49
You don't even know what economics is!

believe it or not back when I was at uni a portion of the 3rd year economics degree course was on why the market for brand new / nearly new cars was so different.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 12:51
believe it or not back when I was at uni a portion of the 3rd year economics degree course was on why the market for brand new / nearly new cars was so different.

That is economics.

How the monthly on a lease or PCP car is calculated is finance.

Cirrus
6th October 2017, 13:05
Not when we end up walking away under WTO rules. Its inevitable. You are implying WTO rules mean we have to apply non-zero tariffs to German imports.

Where did you get that from? All the talk is quite the reverse

Just to expand on this: if we have no deal with the EU and then push the Free Trade dream being bandied about all the time, BMW will face 0% import tariffs (that's what Free Trade means). They will thus sell the same amount of X1s to us. However British Qashqais and E-Paces will face a 10% surcharge right across the EU. Thus BMW will sell more X1s due to price elasticity. Right across the EU.
Do you think BMW are crying into their weissbier? Do you think they are begging Angela for a deal?

Brexit is killing us twice over - firstly with Brexit and secondly with Tariff-free imports :cry3:

original PM
6th October 2017, 13:11
You are implying WTO rules mean we have to apply non-zero tariffs to German imports.

Where did you get that from? All the talk is quite the reverse

Just to expand on this: if we have no deal with the EU and then push the Free Trade dream being bandied about all the time, BMW will face 0% import tariffs (that's what Free Trade means). They will thus sell the same amount of X1s to us. However British Qashqais and E-Paces will face a 10% surcharge right across the EU. Thus BMW will sell more X1s due to price elasticity. Right across the EU.
Do you think BMW are crying into their weissbier? Do you think they are begging Angela for a deal?

Brexit is killing us twice over - firstly with Brexit and secondly with Tariff-free imports :cry3:

So let me get this straight

Germany will be able to sell into the Uk with zero tariffs

But when the Uk tries to sell into Germany (or the EU in general) they will slap a 10% tariff on that

Can you expand on that at all?

Such as why?

WTFH
6th October 2017, 13:22
So let me get this straight

Germany will be able to sell into the Uk with zero tariffs

But when the Uk tries to sell into Germany (or the EU in general) they will slap a 10% tariff on that

Can you expand on that at all?

Such as why?

Why? Simple - because the UK will continue to buy German products no matter what.

But if you mean why would the EU slap a tariff on something from outside the EU, it’s because they already have tariffs in place for certain things.
If you google EU import tariffs , you’ll see what is already in place for anywhere without a specific trade deal.
That is not about “punishing the UK” or “teaching the UK a lesson”, it’s how the EU (including the UK) has worked for many years.

original PM
6th October 2017, 13:48
Why? Simple - because the UK will continue to buy German products no matter what.

But if you mean why would the EU slap a tariff on something from outside the EU, it’s because they already have tariffs in place for certain things.
If you google EU import tariffs , you’ll see what is already in place for anywhere without a specific trade deal.
That is not about “punishing the UK” or “teaching the UK a lesson”, it’s how the EU (including the UK) has worked for many years.

So why would the UK not just slap a 10% tariff on goods from the EU? (or Germany)?

Seems fair to me?

woohoo
6th October 2017, 13:49
Plan for a hard brexit, load of rubbish, remember this is the same people that tried to teach their dogs to speak.

The Woofen SS: Nazis tried to teach dogs to 'talk' | Weird | News | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/248632/The-Woofen-SS-Nazis-tried-to-teach-dogs-to-talk)

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 13:50
Plan for a hard brexit, load of rubbish, remember this is the same people that tried to teach their dogs to speak.

The Woofen SS: Nazis tried to teach dogs to 'talk' | Weird | News | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/248632/The-Woofen-SS-Nazis-tried-to-teach-dogs-to-talk)

I knew this was all Esther Rantzen's fault. She has finally escaped from her lair in the basement of Charing Cross Hospital.

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 14:06
Was looking at my euro coin this morning and wondered if they're make a new coin without the UK on the map.

woohoo
6th October 2017, 14:11
Was looking at my euro coin this morning and wondered if they're make a new coin without the UK on the map.

I can just imagine you, huddled over your single bar electric heater. Fondling your only coin, knowing this would be the day you could finally afford soup from the cafe below your bedsit.

I sometimes think of myself walking past you, then throwing some of my lose change to you. Knowing that you could finally afford a ticket back to the UK. I know when you get back your depression and bitterness will leave you. A support job working for the local council IT finally becoming an achievable goal.

One day Scoots, one day.

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 14:12
And say WHAT exactly? Scotland held a Referendum on Independence and decided 55% to 45% to remain as part of the UK.
As a consequence they get treated like the part of the UK they voluntarily chose to remain.
Something does not stop being Democratic just because you don't get the result you hoped for.
What exactly are you expecting the EU to "speak up" about numbskull?

It is far from perfect but it is still Democracy, much more so than what Juncker and his cronies would like to practice anyway.

You full well know there's many things that could have tipped the Scottish referendum to a yes vote. Many EU residents in Scotland voted no in fear of loosing their status and right to continue living and working there. It is well known a result of around 65% for independence would have come in had EU citizens voted the same way as Scottish residents. Regardless of what side you're on, just like the UK referendum, both were without full facts by the time of voting.

It is becoming clear these EU citizens are loosing rights with the UK leaving it should not be a surprise to see a surge for independence now grow.

Support for Scottish independence rebounds three years after referendum
(https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/11739/support-scottish-independence-rebounds-three-years-after-referendum)

And then you have someone like Ruth Davidson parading about with won seats. I don't believe for a minute she really thinks she won seats rather than benefited from a SNP rebuke. I'm sure she's not that doof. They'll be lost by the next general election.

eek
6th October 2017, 14:12

the maps already differ based on the denomination - Ukraine can be seen on the 50c coin....

motoukenin
6th October 2017, 14:13

Never ask what you can get for £x00 a month, and never tell a salesman your budget. Get him to tell you what it costs and then say I want that and can give you what he asks - 5% , then walk out. Never do this in September or March when the order book is full.

Business Lease is cheaper than PCP , never had a PCP so never found out the details but either way your paying for the depreciation of the car and its not yours, believe PCP has a balloon payment at the end and lease you just give back and they sell it at auction, so the math would be similar and proportional to the cars write down per year.

WTFH
6th October 2017, 14:14
So why would the UK not just slap a 10% tariff on goods from the EU? (or Germany)?

Seems fair to me?

Go for it.
That will mean it’s 10% more expensive for the UK to buy products from the EU, and as we have been told many times, the UK buys a lot of stuff from the EU (we’re normally told that by people who add that the EU would collapse if it lost the trade)
...oh and the other bit would be that you can slap tariffs on imported products, but not imported products by country/region.
So, a 10% tariff on cars would be a 10% tariff on cars supplied to the UK from all countries, unless the UK had a specific trade agreement with that country which got round that one.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 14:17
It is well known a result of around 65% for independence would have come in had EU citizens voted the same way as Scottish residents.

:suicide:

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 14:17
I can just imagine you, huddled over your single bar electric heater. Fondling your only coin, knowing this would be the day you could finally afford soup from the cafe below your bedsit.

I sometimes think of myself walking past you, then throwing some of my lose change to you. Knowing that you could finally afford a ticket back to the UK. I know when you get back your depression and bitterness will leave you. A support job working for the local council IT finally becoming an achievable goal.

One day Scoots, one day.

Sound like the creature Gollum.

woohoo
6th October 2017, 14:19

Yeah to be fair it was a crappy post, but the way you phrased your post did make it sound like you only had one euro coin that you fondled a lot.

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 14:20

Exactly. But with a coin operated electric fire. In Munich.

scooterscot
6th October 2017, 15:39
Exactly. But with a coin operated electric fire. In Munich.

Where do I put the coins?

http://www.contura.eu/upload/contura-rwd/global/products/wood-stoves/woodburner-contura-750-grey-900x400.jpg

northernladyuk
6th October 2017, 15:44
Where do I put the coins?

http://www.contura.eu/upload/contura-rwd/global/products/wood-stoves/woodburner-contura-750-grey-900x400.jpg

Try the fuse box.

Cirrus
6th October 2017, 16:00

Seems fair to me?Well go and tell the Government.

I hope you Brexiteers are begining to realise that you are being sold Free Trade - F r e e T r a d e . That means we don't play games parrying each other's barriers or protecting our vital industries and sectors. It's a barmy right wing idealogy that lets Chinese cars in for nothing even though they penalise us by - I dunno - 60% tariff. We'll let New Zealand send all their farm produce but will not penalise them if they retain their tariff barriers.

The logic is we get cheap things (eg Porsche Macan knock-offs for £13k - what's not to like?) whilst our industries die unless they can weather the fierce winds of unfettered globalisation. Who knows - it might work but almost everybody/every country with a brain prefers not to play such Russian Roulette unless absolutely necessary. But we unfortunately are run by the Tories who are bonkers. Usually Labour come to save us but they've disappeared and left us with a bunch of marxist agitators.

It's really not a good time to be chipper and laid-back. Optimism and jingoism are not going to help in this crisis.

bobspud
6th October 2017, 21:11
Well go and tell the Government.

I hope you Brexiteers are begining to realise that you are being sold Free Trade - F r e e T r a d e . That means we don't play games parrying each other's barriers or protecting our vital industries and sectors. It's a barmy right wing idealogy that lets Chinese cars in for nothing even though they penalise us by - I dunno - 60% tariff. We'll let New Zealand send all their farm produce but will not penalise them if they retain their tariff barriers.

The logic is we get cheap things (eg Porsche Macan knock-offs for £13k - what's not to like?) whilst our industries die unless they can weather the fierce winds of unfettered globalisation. Who knows - it might work but almost everybody/every country with a brain prefers not to play such Russian Roulette unless absolutely necessary. But we unfortunately are run by the Tories who are bonkers. Usually Labour come to save us but they've disappeared and left us with a bunch of marxist agitators.

It's really not a good time to be chipper and laid-back. Optimism and jingoism are not going to help in this crisis.

I dont know if you have noticed this but in a few more years maybe ten or fifteen at a push most people will be lucky to have a job... pretending to hide behind protectionist tariffs will be a pointless exercice.

Mordac
7th October 2017, 06:10
Well go and tell the Government.

Usually Labour come to bankrupt us. This time they really mean it...

SueEllen
7th October 2017, 10:22
Usually Labour come to bankrupt us. This time they really mean it...

"Strong and stable" or "clueless and Marxist"?

Mordac
7th October 2017, 21:28
"Strong and stable" or "clueless and Marxist"?

Since "none of the above" isn't an option, weak and unstable it is. :eyes

Platypus
8th October 2017, 08:39
bob,

part of the EU's raison de etre is redistribution of wealth from the rich countries to the poor countries to bring everybody to the same level and they have been very successful at that

Keep the poor countries on-side with bribes. Keep the value of the Euro lower thanks to the poorer countries being in. Boost Germany and France in the process through cheaper exports. The plan is clearly working very well.... for them.

In retrospect, maybe we should have joined the Euro so that we'd have benefitted too.

chopper
8th October 2017, 19:22

Seems fair to me?
WTO rules, innit. You have to have a tariff on 'cars', you can't have different tariffs for 'EU cars' and 'Everyone else's cars', and those old farts who bang on about WTO rules really have no idea what that actually means.

I mean, hahaha, they actually don't realise the WTO is just a bunch of supra-national rules and restrictions on global trade. These are the same people who think the Bombardier C-Series thing is a US-UK dispute, and not a US-Canada dispute and a load of US protectionism for Boeing.