PDA

View Full Version : David Davis open to the idea of associate EU citizenship

BlasterBates
2nd November 2017, 15:36
David Davis says he will consider plans for Brits to keep opt-in EU citizenship after Brexit | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-british-eu-citizenship-keep-post-brexit-leave-european-union-plans-proposals-a8033686.html)

Compliment where compliments are due

hat off to Davis for at least seriously considering this

chopper
2nd November 2017, 15:47
There is a train of thought that the EU will not be able to simply revoke EU citizenship from British people who are currently EU citizens. This will certainly end up in the ECJ at some point.

vetran
2nd November 2017, 21:51
There is a train of thought that the EU will not be able to simply revoke EU citizenship from British people who are currently EU citizens. This will certainly end up in the ECJ at some point.

that would be awesome!

AtW
2nd November 2017, 23:04

EU citizen is a citizen of a EU member state.

SueEllen
3rd November 2017, 01:08
EU citizen is a citizen of a EU member state.

Those Russians....

meridian
3rd November 2017, 08:10

This doesn't make sense, there's no such thing as "EU citizenship". Or, more accurately, any concept of EU citizenship is conferred by being a national of a member state.

All British nationals are currently also EU citizens, but if the UK ceases to be a member state then only those British nationals who also hold other member state nationality will continue to be EU citizens.

WTFH
3rd November 2017, 09:08
This doesn't make sense, there's no such thing as "EU citizenship". Or, more accurately, any concept of EU citizenship is conferred by being a national of a member state.

All British nationals are currently also EU citizens, but if the UK ceases to be a member state then only those British nationals who also hold other member state nationality will continue to be EU citizens.

Very true, but you need to put a spin on it so that it appears the EU are evil or that the EU will be taken to court. Doesn't need to be factually correct, but you need to report it that way.

BrilloPad
3rd November 2017, 09:12
Very true, but you need to put a spin on it so that it appears the EU are evil or that the EU will be taken to court. Doesn't need to be factually correct, but you need to report it that way.

I have asked many times what UK court the UK can be taken to.

May the EU will ask Uranus to get involved.....

BlasterBates
3rd November 2017, 09:54

A few weeks ago we were told by the press that Juncker is now in charge of the EU after his power grab and is a powerful dictator.

What I find interesting is that no-one in the government is talking to him, almost as if he's a servant of the EU who doesn't really have much say.

sasguru
3rd November 2017, 10:57
David Davis says he will consider plans for Brits to keep opt-in EU citizenship after Brexit | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-british-eu-citizenship-keep-post-brexit-leave-european-union-plans-proposals-a8033686.html)

Compliment where compliments are due

hat off to Davis for at least seriously considering this

Good idea.
But they should exclude the riff-raff.
I would say 100K GBP per person is a reasonable sum for EU associate membership.:D
If this works Brexit is looking better and better for the well-off - in partiuclar fewer annoying British chavs abroad.

BlasterBates
3rd November 2017, 11:23
Good idea.
But they should exclude the riff-raff.
I would say 100K GBP per person is a reasonable sum for EU associate membership.:D
If this works Brexit is looking better and better for the well-off - in partiuclar fewer annoying British chavs abroad.

I have a feeling this might be the solution for Brits in Europe. Might mean a small charge per year but I can cancel my subscription to pe████████.

:D

vetran
3rd November 2017, 19:57
I have asked many times what UK court the UK can be taken to.

May the EU will ask Uranus to get involved.....

AssGuru is already here.