• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impact of not getting a reference from the latest client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impact of not getting a reference from the latest client

Hi all,

So far I always managed to get strong references from my clients but in my latest role I feel like I won't be able to get one. Maybe a slightly average one. I feel like if it comes to providing references I should skip the last one and provide 2 clients before the last one.

Obviously it's not ideal and it will have some sort of impact but just not sure about the level of it at the moment. Has it ever happened to you? What would you recommend be the best way of dealing with this type of scenario?

Thanks.

When some places ask for references they ask for ALL for the previous 2/3/5 years.

I wouldn’t worry too much. References usually only get checked when they want to or have offered the gig so unless it’s actually bad then don’t worry.

Also is there not anyone at the client who is reasonably senior who you could use them

Comment

Very rarely am asked for - or agree to provide - references. When I feel its appropriate, I use a small pool of contacts that I trust, NOT the last two gigs regardless of what agencies ask for.

You're not applying for a job - you are providing a service to a new client and its in your interests to provide marketing material (your CV, references, website etc) that sells your services in the best way possible. This sometimes affords you some artistic license - how much depends on how confident you are that you can deliver the services asked of you. Personally I don't embellish much as I have the experience to back up all my claims and skills, and have got to a point where I can sell myself quite easily as long as the client isn't awkward in their interview process.

You don't legally have to provide references unless you're opted IN to the Agency Regulations - though this makes little difference to an agency, who will usually ask you for them so they can farm your contacts for new business.

Comment

Whoa! What's all this references from a client all about? Just send them to the relevent agents.

Put actual references on LinkedIn/Your Website/CV or whatever.

Comment

Thanks for replies guys. It's really a relief for me. I think I was reading too much into this whole reference thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Whoa! What's all this references from a client all about? Just send them to the relevent agents.

Put actual references on LinkedIn/Your Website/CV or whatever.
            DO NOT put references on your CV, or even mention references (i.e. "Excellent references available on request!"). It wastes space, and any client worth their salt KNOWS that you will be able to provide some references should they want to see them. Doing so also reduces your chances of finding work - you're essentially handing agents their next commission without getting the chance to chat to them about their current clients or giving them to chance to lie to you about submitting you

I've never used a previous agent as a reference - never even entered my head, but I might do that in the future when someone insists on them before an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
              DO NOT put references on your CV, or even mention references (i.e. "Excellent references available on request!"). It wastes space, and any client worth their salt KNOWS that you will be able to provide some references should they want to see them. Doing so also reduces your chances of finding work - you're essentially handing agents their next commission without getting the chance to chat to them about their current clients or giving them to chance to lie to you about submitting you

I've never used a previous agent as a reference - never even entered my head, but I might do that in the future when someone insists on them before an interview.
              You're right and I agree, though it wasn't what I meant. I meant in a marketing sense - i.e., I have actual written references from people I've worked with on my website and LinkedIn. I wouldn't really put them on my CV, but depending on what your CV "is" then I guess you might.

Agents only ever get other agents from me, with the exception of permie jobs where I don't have much choice.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                You're right and I agree, though it wasn't what I meant. I meant in a marketing sense - i.e., I have actual written references from people I've worked with on my website and LinkedIn. I wouldn't really put them on my CV, but depending on what your CV "is" then I guess you might.

Agents only ever get other agents from me, with the exception of permie jobs where I don't have much choice.
                I keep seeing this "permie" word everywhere. Care to elaborate? :P

Ah, you mean "testimonials" Yes, I too have those on my website, which are linked to case studies I've written. It does unfortunately give agents the names of my contacts at some contracts if they're clever enough to scrape my website, but luckily most of my signed off case studies are with people that no longer work for the companies involved

Comment

Another trick I've used in the past is to provide my references directly to the client, after I've been offered the job. I tell the agent exactly that and they usually get a bit shaky and back off. This alleviates all my concerns about agents badgering old clients and pissing them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeh View Post
                    I keep seeing this "permie" word everywhere. Care to elaborate? :P
                    Yes, I used to have a job! Some organisations, unfortunately, require a long list of references for securitah so I have to give my old permie managers

But yes, testimonials is I suppose what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                    X