• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the deadline to pay a dividend for the current tax year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the deadline to pay a dividend for the current tax year?

The post topic is quite self explanatory

I guess this is a particular situation, I started my Ltd a month ago and my client is delaying payments so I am trying to delay paying a dividend before the financial year ends (hopefully my total income would be near £5K by the end of the month...) so I can take advantage of the £5K dividend allowance that applies for the current tax year.

In the other hand I had this question in mind, would it be possible to pay a dividend the 4th of April for instance? Otherwise what would be the "dead line" for doing this?

Apologies for the newbie/silly question.

You should ask your accountant.

I think you can pay it up to (and inc?) 5th April

You can only take what is available as retained profit (not just revenue).

If you have the retained profit but you don’t want to actually pay the money you can declare it and treat it as a directors loan to the company.

But to be clear it’s not the money in the bank it’s the retained profit you can declare as a dividend... I.e with all your liabilities accounted for.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      You should ask your accountant.

I think you can pay it up to (and inc?) 5th April

You can only take what is available as retained profit (not just revenue).

If you have the retained profit but you don’t want to actually pay the money you can declare it and treat it as a directors loan to the company.

But to be clear it’s not the money in the bank it’s the retained profit you can declare as a dividend... I.e with all your liabilities accounted for.
      Does it have to be paid by 5 April or just declared? Or declared and a cheque written?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Does it have to be paid by 5 April or just declared? Or declared and a cheque written?
        Ask your accountant.

Comment

Ask your accountant.
          My accountant says 31 December.

Comment

Sounds reasonable.

Comment

I think this thread answers your question.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...able-date.html

But if not it will be in these. It's gets asked multiple times around this time of year.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...QA&safe=active

But you should be asking your accountant. Get this wrong and you'll be paying more tax when you didn't need to. An accountant may also look in to Directors Loans and other options for you based on your individual circumstances.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think nluk’s ambition has exceeded his ability in this regard.

Comment

Ask your accountant.
                  Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Mr B failed to check the jurisdiction in which my accountant operates.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Story of my life that is.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X