• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Section 29 Assessment Enquiry has turned up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 29 Assessment Enquiry has turned up

Out of the blue for 3 or so years ago.

No idea where Hector is getting his figures from but thinks I've underdeclared income by approx £7k.

Both my SA and overlapping company returns done by my current accountant.

Have checked payments myself and think nothing wrong with the SA so god knows what the 'discovery' is.

Simple q from me. Do I invoke TLC35 or refer HMRC to my accountant for this?

Concerned that speaking directly could result in me misresenting myself and making things worse.

Concerned that referring to accountant could result in accountant giving HMRC everything and anything they could result in me being misrepresented.

Concerned that invoking TLC35 for a self assessment matter waves an enormous sign at Hector saying 'im an IT contractor have a deeper look'.

Clearly I want a swift and certain resolution because I do not want this escalating into a full blown IR35 enquiry.

I do not/have not ever participated in any schemes nor do I have any offshorr arrangements. Only accounts in play are my current account and my biz account.

Wouldn't shock me if the accountant has not logged expenses or put wrong figure in wrong box (we are all human), but obviously this is very unwelcome attention and I am now looking at the letter box every morning hoping not to see brown letters pertaining to IR35.

I have one month to answer the enquiry directly or indirectly, proving my working.

Unsure which stakeholder should answer on my behalf.
    Last edited by 7specialgems; 30 March 2018, 23:33.

If you have insurance use it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ask your accountant for feedback on how they think HMRC have arrived at the £7k undeclared income, seeing as they did the SA being queried they should have the breakdown (or provided a copy to you for safe keeping).

Maybe you have other income such as from a rental property, or online sales (ebay etc) that HMRC think you didn't include in the SA. Could be they made the 'discovery' via their Connect system.

So give your accountant as much info as you can and see if they can work out what has happened. Then you can provide those findings to HMRC and pay up any dues if due, or tell them to contact your accountant if they want to investigate further.
      Last edited by Hobosapien; 31 March 2018, 07:17.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

A friend had this recently, could not think what the undeclared income was - turns out it was his PPI compo claim.

Comment

Check the terms of your insurance as not telling them may invalidate it.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            A friend had this recently, could not think what the undeclared income was - turns out it was his PPI compo claim.
            Aren't they taxed at source before the only is given to you ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Aren't they taxed at source before the only is given to you ?
              At basic rate.

Comment

Speak to your accountant. Get them to handle it bit if you have insurance invoke that so that the fees are covered. If you’re concerned about over providing, ensure you approve everything before he/she sends it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your advice and experiences so far everyone.

Very interesting info about Connect too.

I will contact my accountant asking them to inform me of HMRC's requests before servicing them.

I will also examine the terms of TLC35.

I am happy enough with the SA enquiry and proving my figures.

But my great fear is escalation into a full blown IR35 enquiry.

I feel confident that I have acted diligently from the outset so if it did go that far then I would hope that my records and TLC35 would result in another item in the nil column for HMRC.

But I have a lot going on at home at the moment including a new arrival and I could do without the hassle hanging over me.

Has anyone on here experienced this and had it escalated?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    At basic rate.
                    Not all of it though. Just the interest you earn. Mine was taken off by Sharkleys before they cut the cheque. And it was a cheque.

Comment

Working...
                    X