• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy fees

A few years ago I had my own company but closed it and have been using an umbrella.

I now want to start a new company, last time I used Nixon Williams who were very good. I note that they now charge £60 per month - what extra services would I get if I went to some other accountant who would charge far more?
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Waldorf

You will recall that we covered all your accountancy needs for our fee.

I would guess that with higher fees than we charge you will be paying for higher overheads, sales people and higher profits.

You pay your money and take your choice!

Alan

Comment

Sounds fair enough to me - I'll be in touch again.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

You might get someone who was prepared to give you advice that would save you more in tax than the difference between their fees and Nixon Williams'.

Comment

I've spoken to Nixon Williams and they have given me very good advice, they set my company up the same day and I am up and running!

I like to keep more of my money and their fees cover everthing if not more of what other accountants offer. They were quick when I used them before and judging on the new company set up they still are very quick.

I have spoken to some colleagues and I seem to be getting a very good deal so I am happy!

Comment

Hi,

Make sure you're comparing like with like - I had a few chats with different accountants recommended by contractors I know, and in the end went with someone completely different.

The reason I went with them was just the sheer level of confidence that they gave me - I know I pay more than I could, but at the end of the day, I'd sooner pay a bit more and get service that I know I'm happy with.

Note - I have nothing against Nixon Williams, or anyone else that is out there. I just like my accountant who is local!

Faqqer
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

well everything is covered in a £60/month fee, I used them before (i've been in an umbrella) and they do cover everything, they take care of it all which suits me.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf
                well everything is covered in a £60/month fee, I used them before (i've been in an umbrella) and they do cover everything, they take care of it all which suits me.
                Now firstly let me say this isn't meant as a slight on Alan but if you went with them before and were very happy why didn't you go to them as a first point of reference this time.

Alan looks like Nixon Williams need to do a bit more on relationship marketing and retention if happy customers still don't think of you first.

That said the advice he gives out on this board is great and free, if I was looking for a new accountant I'd definitely give him a call as part of my process for changing.

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                  Now firstly let me say this isn't meant as a slight on Alan but if you went with them before and were very happy why didn't you go to them as a first point of reference this time.

Alan looks like Nixon Williams need to do a bit more on relationship marketing and retention if happy customers still don't think of you first.

That said the advice he gives out on this board is great and free, if I was looking for a new accountant I'd definitely give him a call as part of my process for changing.
                  Waldorf's first comment was that he was happy with us but could not see what extra he would get by paying more for his accountancy needs. I think he now sees that he gets everything from us but at a lower fee!

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
                    Waldorf's first comment was that he was happy with us but could not see what extra he would get by paying more for his accountancy needs. I think he now sees that he gets everything from us but at a lower fee!
                    Yes, that was my point!

Comment

Working...
                    X